Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drmacnut

Contributor
Mar 7, 2005
Hawaii
The solution I have found to work every time is to set a "hot corner" of the screen to put the display to sleep. Then, when this screensaver bug occurs, simply mouse to the corner, let the screen sleep for a few seconds, and then move the mouse again to wake it up. The screensaver will stop. Hope this helps.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Big Sur is definitely BIG and buggy. Lives up to it's name. 12GB of bloat on my 2019 iMac i9. with 72GB of RAM even.

Next OS needs to go on a DIET.
Next OS...it will take a minimum of 4-5 years for a non Intel version, people will go wild if macOS will be arm only in the next OS, there are still millions of Intel Macs.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Had this issue since day 1... still occurring. Like someone else mentioned, I always set up a hot corner anyhow, so easy enough to work around

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Macrumors a little slow on the news there. This has been discussed here for weeks. It's not the M1 machines, it's Big Sur, and there is already Terminal fix for it (sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver loginWindowIdleTime 0), and it is fixed in 11.2 beta.

Reactions: jefe2000

Pyrofallout

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
This has to be a Big Sur bug, but m1 specific. I have the same issue on an Intel OpenCore Hackintosh. Ctrl+Shift+Eject (or Ctrl+Shift+Power on laptops) is the workaround when it happens.

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
Same is happening to me with a new M1 Mac mini.

I used another combo to "force quit" the screen saver, I think it is cmd-opt-esc to force quit the screen saver.

Problem with this is that some actions start being unusable, some gestures in trackpad and active corners. I will try your solutions, but in my case the other day the Mac was stuck on the screen saver screen, and the "hot corners" were not working either.

BR!

ISO

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
You don't need to have screen savers turned on for this to be a problem.
This (cannot exit screen saver) is a "feature" going all the way back to HighSierra. Cannot reproduce, but happens more often if turn on the Mini before the display (the Samsung complains it cannot find a tuner, so we actually power it off).

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've had the same issue on the 16" Macbook Pro, so I think it's more likely a big sur bug, than an M1 issue.
I’ve seen something quite similar myself, but prior to Big Sur. I was never able to track it down.

One workaround I found was to remote into the machine from another Mac via Screen Sharing. I could sometimes then switch users again and unfreeze the screensaver.

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I’ve run into this issue a few times. Closing the lid and reopening it seems to solve the issues (at least for that instance). Still an obnoxious and frustrating bug.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
We have experienced this issue with our M1 Mac mini. It's a pain in the neck. Sometimes the Cmd-Ctrl-Q key combination will clear it, but it's not predictable.
Just close the lid and open again. Problem solved... lol

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London

A growing number of user reports online suggest some of Apple's M1 Mac models are susceptible to a Fast User Switching bug that spontaneously activates the screensaver and leaves the user unable to dismiss it.

macbook-pro-screensaver-table.jpg

In macOS Big Sur, Fast User Switching allows users to quickly switch between user accounts without having to completely log out. Based on posts in the MacRumors forums, Apple Community forums, and on Reddit, however, a screensaver can sometimes take over the screen of Apple Silicon Macs without notice, rendering the desktop workspace completely unavailable.

While the screensaver appears on the screen, the mouse pointer is still on top and moving, but nothing else works, and users have to close and re-open the lid on their MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, or light press the Power/Touch ID key or use the Alt-Command-Q key combination to get back to the login page.

Video shared by MacRumors forum member dawideksl

Disabling Fast User Switching prevents the issue from happening, but that obviously leaves the login feature inaccessible. Having the screensaver disabled in System Preferences for all users doesn't seem to make a difference either.

The issue has been reported on M1 MacBook Air, M1 13-inch MacBook Pro, and M1 Mac mini models, and occurs on all versions of macOS Big Sur, including the latest 11.1 update. Affected users are advised to submit feedback to Apple to hopefully facilitate a fix.

(Thanks, Chris!)

Article Link: Some M1 Macs Affected By Fast User Switching Screensaver Bug
The symbiosis of hardware and software.

jefe2000

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
San Francisco Bay Area
I was able to resolve this by disabling the timeout on the login window:

`sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver loginWindowIdleTime 0`
Yep, this was the same solution that Apple Support gave me when I called 'em up about the problem on the phone. Seems to have resolved the issue nicely on my M1 MacBook Air.

Reactions: RealMonster

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I'm sure they will fix it soon enough, but things like this are why I never jump on major architecture changes immediately. If you depend on your device for work, you need some level of stability. I'm keen to migrate to Apple Silicon, but will probably wait until 'M2'
It isn’t architecture, it’s just another bug on top of the thousands that make macOS unpleasant to use. A free fall since 2010. Zero internal beta testing. They probably rely on people downloading public beta and reporting bugs but majority of people who download betas do it for the sake of saying they have a new version and do not report anything.
Then on the flip side of the coin, out of the 23 bugs I reported during the past years, most of them are still there.

The hardware department is flying software team is digging a hole really.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Tron: The M1 is so fast that the users have become too fast to switch.
Clu: This is a Fast User Switching problem.

eifer

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah I get the same issue on my wife's m1 mba. Closing and reopening the lid is the workaround.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.