Some Mac App Store Apps 'Damaged' Due to Expired Security Certificate

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
You are still not getting it. You seem to think the price of the devices do not have built in prices for the os's. You are truly confused. Apple is not giving anything away just because they have a built in price to cover it. The "apple tax" is part of it.

You are the kind of customer apple loves.

My wife has a 17" laptop, windows, HD screen, 12gb memory, newest i7, discreet nvidia graphics, etc. The closest macbook is 2400 dollars us and still not 17", hers was under 900. Do you TRULY think apple does not have the price of several versions of os in there? Probably from here to eternity. If you buy used then someone already paid for the os's, period. Just because YOU do not have to pay when you get a used computer does not mean it wasn't paid for, someone already did and they high resale price (because they were expensive to begin with) passes it on to you but that has nothing to do with apple as the original purchaser has more than paid for all of those updates.

Apple has done a good job of brainwashing, they more than get paid for the os's.

You are absolutely confused. Anyone that thinks apple became a multi billion dollar company by giving stuff away is confused. It's paid for. No businesses give stuff away as they are doing it to make money, it's figured in there somewhere guaranteed.

I have a mac, but this is the last one.

i have bought used cars that still had warranties and I got repairs FREE. If you buy a car that is still under warranty it's like saying the same thing, I am getting free repairs. Someone paid for that warranty even if it was not listed as a price on the invoice. Period. It's like apple is warrantying the os's until they stop for that device. It's something like three updates for ios and longer for pc's. I know you will say it is not a warranty, it is. It's transferrable to the next owner just like a car warranty and you have to register it with apple/icloud to get them. It's just a different type of warranty, but believe me it's paid for.
I am not sure, who is not getting it.

Dissecting the price of a product and claiming or assuming that something that is provided with it is or isn't free
is in that price is mildly put ignorant.

Of course nothing is for free in life. But, as I stated I did not have to pay for the last several FREE OSX versions
and I didn't buy any Mac.

So, did somebody else pay for my 3 free versions. And, to illustrate your flawed thinking, how often and how many times do others pay for everybody elses free upgrades?

And, at what percentage are future OSX versions included in the hardware?

Without knowing the exact calculation of a product we both do not know to what extent OSX costs are included in what.

If you know anything about business there are a lot of overhead costs which have to be covered and run against the gross sales margins. From cost of goods, R& D, advertising, wages, just to mention a few EVERYTHING is included in a products price at a percentage.

The "Apple tax" is based on mostly high quality products which last. They have had their line of crappy products and flaws, but overall once you buy a MAC you have certain advantages which PCs cannot offer.

For starters Macs can run both PCs and Mac system software.

I am sorry if you cannot get that one cannot extract the price of system software from a hardware product.

With your logic, I might as well tell myself I buy the OSX for $ 2,499 and the MacBook Pro at that price is FREE.

jeab

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Still on 10.9.5 using Tweetbot 1.6.2 and the app won't open. Just got word from Tweetbot directly that the app store caused this problem and there is nothing they can do.
If you have a backup, there may be hope. Copy Tweetbot 1.6.2 from backup, set the date to November 10, launch Tweetbot (Tweetbot may complain a little), and finally set the correct date and time. It does at least work on 10.8.5: How to run Tweetbot 1.6.2 on OS X 10.8.5

ForkHandles

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
For those that had given up, I downloaded a new version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 today and it finally work again.
Whether it was Adobe having to fix or Apple having to fix isn't clear. I suspect Adobe may have learned a lesson about how it distributes software to Mac users from this, I know I certainly have, straight to the source for a better version I think.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
This shows a big hole with App Store purchases...the applications are all time bombed when their certs expire (or the associated App Store goes out of business some day). Purchase is the wrong term, rental is a more appropriate term.

Note to self, get as much directly as possible.

Anybody know if Apple's OS's have expiring certificates in them so they time bomb also at some point?

Keep in mind Microsoft is really wanting to move all Windows 3rd party Application purchases (hear of "Universal Applications"?) to the Windows App store where they get 30% and of course all your applications will have expiring certificates just like Apple's App stores which gave you this problem.

Then with Microsoft you get these additional problems (which you don't with Apple):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/06/microsoft_vacates_moral_high_ground_for_the_data_slurpers_cesspit/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/01/microsoft_backports_data_slurp_to_windows_78_via_patches/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

So you have to choose the downsides you want.

Direct purchases are the way to go if you can with any OS as your app probably won't time bomb.
This whole NSA thing is annoying. Every US company is subject to NSA wants if they provide valid reason. Not even Apple can get away from this. And with the stupid law and rules that all of us in the US let pass, we can't even know about it. Nor can a company release a statement.

I don't nor don't most Americans break the law enough or at all, or to the extent of national security. If you actually think the NSA cares what you do, get over yourself. And if you are one of them, you probably wouldn't even be posting on here anyway.

I stopped buying or renting as you say from MAS. I bought a few apps and a year later when we couldn't get upgrade pricing and still can't I refuse to give Apple the success it wants from it. And at any point Apple can remove the said app and not have to issue a refund.

So from now on I only buy direct. If a company only sells on MAS then I email them and tell them why they should offer both and the revenue lost from the company I work for. For a small dev it's a lot.

Reactions: navaira

Tulani

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Happened to me with Tweetbot on 10.11 and 10.9. Signing in again fixed it on 10.11, but nothing could make it work again on 10.9. If Haddad's tweet is correct, they might've killed App Store apps for 10.9 indefinitely, unless they go back and make an old cert just for it. Which won't happen, knowing Apple.
tweetbot on my mavericks doesn't work anymore....should i just delete the app?

mindquest

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
tweetbot on my mavericks doesn't work anymore....should i just delete the app?
Just got an email from Tapbots, they updated the older version. I downloaded it from the app store this morning and it now works on 10.9.5. The email states it will run on 10.7 or later.

Good Luck!

Tulani

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Just got an email from Tapbots, they updated the older version. I downloaded it from the app store this morning and it now works on 10.9.5. The email states it will run on 10.7 or later.

Good Luck!
thanks. will check if i have the update

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Yup. I've seen this issue crop up again this weekend with a couple of my apps as well. You'd think they'd have fixed it the first time. :/

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I was asked for password for 2 apps (Popclip and Clear Day) this weekend. Otherwise, all apps downloaded seem to be working fine. However, I was prompted with the message "your iCloud session has expired" when I opened iTunes a couple of times. I wonder if it is related to this...

katbel

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
I was asked for password for 2 apps (Popclip and Clear Day) this weekend. Otherwise, all apps downloaded seem to be working fine. However, I was prompted with the message "your iCloud session has expired" when I opened iTunes a couple of times. I wonder if it is related to this...
This morning Popclip wouldn't launch at startup,
I went to its website and found that this morning a lot of other users had the same issue
The suggestion is
Current Issue: Feb 15th 2016
Many users are finding that Mac App Store apps (not just Popclip) are not starting today, You may see "service exited with abnormal code: 173" in Console. The fix sees to be to trash the app, sign in to Mac App Store and re-install it from the Purchases tab.

I did it and now it works just fine. P.s in my case it was just Popclip
El capitan and MBP

Last edited:

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
This morning Popclip wouldn't launch at startup,
I went to its website and found that this morning a lot of other users had the same issue
The suggestion is
Current Issue: Feb 15th 2016
Many users are finding that Mac App Store apps (not just Popclip) are not starting today, You may see "service exited with abnormal code: 173" in Console. The fix sees to be to trash the app, sign in to Mac App Store and re-install it from the Purchases tab.

I did it and now it works just fine. P.s in my case it was just Popclip
Popclip asked for password at startup, but it worked fine without issues afterwords. But my MBP is on Snow Leopard, so not sure about other systems.