Some Mac App Store Apps 'Damaged' Due to Expired Security Certificate

jdrouette

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Encouraging news: after two days, I tried Billings again (after deleting, rebooting, re-installing) and it finally worked. It looks like Apple ARE going through the older apps and fixing them.

dammerl

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Europe
dflect.net
Logging out and back in to the store account seems to solve the problem here.

After that, some MAS apps on first launch appear to get launched twice (but without error message), on second launch everything is back to normal.

rochow

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
Seems no solution? I'm travelling atm and nearly all my app store apps are screwing up, including my password manager. This is a real pain in the ass, I don't have easy access to tons of backups :/ (unfortunately Apple are part of the "everyone is on a 100mb connection with no data cap" mentality crowd)

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
WE FOUND A WORKAROUND!!!

You guys are gonna love this. Set your clock back to a date before Apple updated the receipts and broke everything. Basically anything November 10th and back. Sure, it will break again when the clock gets to the 11th, but at least this will get your apps going until Apple fixes this mess.

canesalato

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
WE FOUND A WORKAROUND!!!

You guys are gonna love this. Set your clock back to a date before Apple updated the receipts and broke everything. Basically anything November 10th and back. Sure, it will break again when the clock gets to the 11th, but at least this will get your apps going until Apple fixes this mess.
o_O but if a workaround is so simple what's the purpose of an expiring receipts?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

demet

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
I finally got coD working by logging out of BOTH the App Store and iTunes, rebooting, then logging back in. Logging out of only App store did NOT work. royal PIA, and i agree with many here, Apple is on the downward slide now, the glory days are behind us. it was a nice run, made some great products for a while, but now they are turning into the new Microsoft: software bloat, bugs, etc. time to find a new platform.

edit: i also re-downloaded the game, probably need to do that too.

mamamachine

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
This happened to me.. Is there a way that I can get the files back from it? Will backing up my computer onto an external hard drive and then reinstalling the app make it work?

I have a flashcard app that has about 14 hours of work on it for my upcoming finals so anything I can try will be helpful!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This proves, the app-store is a SPOF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_point_of_failure
A single point of failure (SPOF) is a part of a system that, if it fails, will stop the entire system from working.[1] SPOFs are undesirable in any system with a goal of high availability or reliability, be it a business practice, software application, or other industrial system.
I had no idea that apps purchased on the App store could basically be "revoked" AFTER you installed them. Sure, I figured they could remove them from the App Store and you wouldn't be able to get them again, but I had no idea that most of those Apps checked (ala DRM) the Apple store for permission to run even AFTER you installed them on your system. That reminds me a little too much of those root kit DRM games everyone hated on Windows. Clearly, there something to be said for good old fashioned DVD installs and 3rd party stores (yeah putting in a license code might be a PITA, but it's not going anywhere).

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
www.raygrantmusic.com
I find this pretty scary. Just checked if iPhoto still works, it does. But now I don't know how long. I thought the only thing to worry about is lack of updates, but it looks like it might just declare itself to be "damaged" anytime Apple feel like pulling the plug.

Luckily I only bought about three apps from the MAS, but I won't make that mistake again. It will be interesting if one day all the Snow Leopard lovers wake up and find their computers declaring that "Snow Leopard is damaged and can't be opened, please install El Capitan to fix the problem".

FishyFox

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
Adobe user may want to check their programs now. My Elements 9 just started working again, thank god! You may have to logout and log back into the app store, that's all I did.

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Tried logging out of both store and iTunes and rebooting. No luck.

This is unbelievable. Tons of people paid good money for apps that now don't work, with no explanation from Apple. Shouldn't this be a bigger deal?

Reactions: lysingur

rochow

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
Huh, seems if an app developer pushes an update, their app will automatically start re-working.

App developers please add a minor update!

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
www.thenps.com

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Well, I can delete and redownload CoD 4, but then I've lost all my character progress! I have the old files on time machine but I can't seem to identify where the old data is located. Any help would be appreciated. This is ridiculous!

Edit: downloaded new version from app store. Then figure out how to see hidden save files in time machine backup. Copied and pasted them and now have data back. What a hassle.

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
This is good news for those who used to purchase from mas. Apple is telling us not to buy from them and support them anymore. Seriously though..how much longer shall people tolerate with their behavior before they get turned off by them?

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
And another app: My Wonderful Days.

Deleted and redownloaded fine. A good diary application, incidentally. It's the only app I have that automatically syncs via iCloud with my iPad and iPhone consistently.

ajaxodessa

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Odessa, UA
I'd say just spoof.

For those who looses data after app deletion, just make sure you delete the application itself only, the one from /Applications folder. Properly written apps doesn't keep data within them. And this is all needed just to "hide" application from MAS so it will re-download fresh copy.

Last edited:

SmallDane

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
You are still not getting it. You seem to think the price of the devices do not have built in prices for the os's. You are truly confused. Apple is not giving anything away just because they have a built in price to cover it. The "apple tax" is part of it.

You are the kind of customer apple loves.

My wife has a 17" laptop, windows, HD screen, 12gb memory, newest i7, discreet nvidia graphics, etc. The closest macbook is 2400 dollars us and still not 17", hers was under 900. Do you TRULY think apple does not have the price of several versions of os in there? Probably from here to eternity. If you buy used then someone already paid for the os's, period. Just because YOU do not have to pay when you get a used computer does not mean it wasn't paid for, someone already did and they high resale price (because they were expensive to begin with) passes it on to you but that has nothing to do with apple as the original purchaser has more than paid for all of those updates.

Apple has done a good job of brainwashing, they more than get paid for the os's.

You are absolutely confused. Anyone that thinks apple became a multi billion dollar company by giving stuff away is confused. It's paid for. No businesses give stuff away as they are doing it to make money, it's figured in there somewhere guaranteed.

I have a mac, but this is the last one.

i have bought used cars that still had warranties and I got repairs FREE. If you buy a car that is still under warranty it's like saying the same thing, I am getting free repairs. Someone paid for that warranty even if it was not listed as a price on the invoice. Period. It's like apple is warrantying the os's until they stop for that device. It's something like three updates for ios and longer for pc's. I know you will say it is not a warranty, it is. It's transferrable to the next owner just like a car warranty and you have to register it with apple/icloud to get them. It's just a different type of warranty, but believe me it's paid for.

Apple decided some time ago to let its users get free operating systems.
One of the reasons was probably to get more converts and people to try it.

Since then their MacBooks or iMacs are being introduced with more features, faster processors, better cameras etc. always around the same price.
They only increased the retina lines for good reasons.

What is in an individual product calculation is unknown, but the fact is that in order to get El Capitan you do not have to pay. It is FREE!

I have a 2008 17" MBP which went through all the paid cats (skipped Lion)
Mavericks, Yosemite and now El Capitan.
All of these were FREE, so when did they include the cost for these OS in my computers?

BTW: I bought my MBP and some for others on eBay and thus paid no premium.

So, how is that being confused?

Last edited: