Some of you are delusional...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Esco1199, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esco1199 macrumors newbie

Esco1199

...if you think the pro will replace your laptop/desktop. Lot of threads and comments referring to the iPad pro replacing your current laptop/desktop and I just don't understand how people can think that. It will run with iOS not a full OS like the surface does.

I'm in the IT field and I love my iPad for lounging on the couch and surfing the web or playing games on the toilet. However, that's where it stops. No MS suite, Adobe suite, or real programs in general. The off chance that one of these programs has an app for iOS will be functionally limited to a word viewer or something of that nature.

The age of the tablet is dying and the more time apple wastes with this 13 inch candy crush player the more people will move to a "hybrid" like the surface 3/4 running a full windows 10 OS that can double as a tablet.

Here's a pov from a web designer...your meeting a client and you bring the surface you can load up dreamweaver, Photoshop, or any other program and make changes on the spot. With the iPad pro all you can do is take notes while playing hill climb.

tldr: Put OS X on this new iPad so we can do different things other than play bubble pop games.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

For some the reason why is side by side multitasking on a workable screen size. So for some this is a perfect replacement especially if your invested in the ecosystem already!

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Surely, it depends on what a person does with a desktop/laptop, which decides whether this iPad Pro can be a replacement.

4. mintakax macrumors regular

As someone who uses his desktop for science research and video editing and laptop for a mobile version, I completely agree !

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Not every one uses a laptop for the same reasons.

6. Esco1199 thread starter macrumors newbie

Esco1199

Forgive me but can you pls explain how a tablet running iOS/android can be a perfect replacement for a laptop/desktop running a full windows 10/OS X.

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If the Apps you use replace everything you use on your desktop, then it is the perfect replacement. It won't be for everyone, and I suspect never for you, but your needs aren't everyone else's.

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

For one thing there is a very large part of the population called "baby boomers". We have all already done that "work thing" and iPads of any size can replace our laptop/desktop.

9. ACG12 macrumors 6502

The Microsoft Surface Pro would like to have a word with you, OP....

10. Dave245 macrumors 601

Who says it needs to replace a laptop, why can't it complement it? I will be getting the iPad Pro and I think what Apple showed yesterday was great, there are times when you need to write and not type so the Apple Pencil will be great for that, which is something you can't do on a laptop. But there are also times when you want to edit or play a game and a laptop would be great for that, these devices can complement each other.

However for some people the iPad Pro could replace their laptop, it all depends on what the individual uses their laptop for.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

my macbook pro is why i'm not even considering the iPad pro

12. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

BEST. POST. EVER.

You'll get a lot of heat from all the Apple kiddo's, but man, great, honest post.

Surface Pro 3 & 4 DESTROY the iPad "Pro".

13. Esco1199 thread starter macrumors newbie

Esco1199

I need to apologize and this comment made me think about my parents usage on their desktop. Being how they only surf the web and use Facebook to yell at me for going out to much I can see the iPad pro as a replacement for them. However, I do not think that the "parents" computer population outnumbers the population that uses a computer for more than surfing the web.

14. Skoal macrumors 65816

Except that it runs Windows and is fully susceptible to all the downsides that entails. Features that 80% of the user population will never need or use On a tablet. There is just nothing about it that the average user needs over the iPad pro and that includes most business professionals.

15. newellj macrumors 601

Honestly, it depends on what the individual is doing. Personally, there is no way in hell that an iOS device is going to replace a machine running a desktop OS and desktop apps. I do use my iPad for business emergencies. It is in no way the equivalent of, not even vaguely competitive with, a laptop or desktop for what I do.

There may be applications (like the medical and design cases featured yesterday) where it would be at least as good as a machine running a desktop OS, though.

16. newellj macrumors 601

My wife, a university prof, and my older son, a graduate student, both own iPhones and iPads and also are totally bonded to their SP3s. There is no Apple product that even remotely competes for their uses. I don't know whether the SP3 destroys the Pro...I would say that the Pro fails to compete with the SP3 in a lot of markets, just as the MacBooks currently don't compete. Combining a touch screen and stylus support with a desktop OS is a killer combination for a lot of users. Apple needs to re-think their religious adherence to their historical product limitations.

Not running OS X on the Pro is a fatal flaw for most business users. Maybe clinical docs and artists will be happy...most business people will not give it even a first look because it's running iOS.

17. mintakax macrumors regular

I am a baby boomer and your statement definitely doesn't apply to me.

18. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I think people are too hung up on the "Pro" branding. Yes, it's not a Surface Pro 3, we get it. It's just a big iPad with some cool accessory options. If you're an iPad fan and in the market for another one, it's an attractive option. I like the iPad, I like iOS on the iPad, and I like many of the apps on iOS and the iPad overall as a mobile device. If you need a full OS, it's clearly not an option at all. Not sure why the Surface is suddenly the gold standard. It's a fine product but MS is still working out the kinks and has been for three years. I have a work issues laptop, and a beast of a desktop machine at home. The iPad Pro is thus appealing to me because I don't really need it to do anything it can't do.

19. newellj macrumors 601

Here's hoping we don't get into one of those knock-down/drag-out fights about the meaning of "Pro" that crop up in the MBP forum. :) It's a marketing term, not a chemical formula.

20. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Just bought a 15" Macbook Pro, I'm under no delusion one can replace the other

but with that said, the iPad does 95% of what most people do on the macbook anyway

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That is quite an arrogant assumption on your part. You have no clue what those people (those expecting the Pro to replace their notebook/desktop) use their laptop/desktop for. It is quite possible. If Chromebooks can replace notebooks for some the it is reasonable to conclude that the iPad Pro (with a richer more mature app ecosystem) can as well.

And if you need the full MS Office Suite, Adobe Suite, etc. then you are correct, no device with a mobile OS will replace a notebook/desktop.

That is one way of working, circa 1995. If that works for then that is all that really matters. But everyone has different use cases and workflows.

22. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Like it or not, Apple is committed to building a completely new paradigm where tablets will eventually be able to do most of what people need. They are not going to bring OS X to a touch device. So stop holding your breath. There are going to be both positives and negatives to the way that Apple is approaching this, just as there are positives and negatives to the way that Microsoft is approaching it. Pick the one that suits you.

23. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

No MS suite? I agree and don't believe that its a laptop killer, but I also realize that it does more than most people use a computer for these days anyway.

24. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

iPad Pro needs to offer "full OS X" mode... maybe a control center launch?

Maybe next year's model will offer that.

25. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Nice that someone had the guts to post what i was thinking this morning. I feel all tablets bar a Surface are limiting. I'm a laptop guy, not a desktop guy. I have tried and tried. iPad, many of, Android of various sizes. My Nexus 7 is ace for nightshift work entertainment as its easy to transport.

I do like the idea of a bigger iPad i believe it would cover most non productivity tasks but... Say i list DSLR photos on ebay... not so pro then. Everyone does this at one time. A small example. I have a USB to SD card reader and lightroom CC on my Surface!

For my wife who isn't into tech and for at least 4 years, maybe more has been iPad only... but she isn't into tech at all. It has to 'just work' ;) and the iPad does. No virus software or asking me to fix things.

You guys/girls are into tech enough to chat on forums about it. Mac/PC is where its at. Not big Pods. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.