Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I received two checks for $251.55. Wasn't expecting anything let along two. Not complaining here. :cool:

So for all those depositing the check can you say this is legitimate and that no unauthorized activity has been happening with your bank account thus far?

It's legit. Both cleared and Equifax monitors my credit ever since someone stole my ID in 2006 (then opened 10 burner phones with Sprint, the customer rep had the audacity to state it was my fault yet couldn't answer why a background check wasn't done with a NYC address that didn't exist on a fake license). Not to get OT with credit monitoring, but mine is locked unless I unlock it for a specified time for credit checks, monitored, transaction alerts, and new accounts require calling my listed phone to answer questions for verification. My score's in the high 700's, and well worth the annual service.

So to answer yours (and anyone's) questions, it's legit.

Last edited:

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
That's because you listened to people who don't have a clue as to the purpose of class actions; how they work; or the risks involved in bringing them. Those people simply parroted some mantra they heard without bothering to do any research on the issue.

This settlement is insane. I thought the lawyers always took 99% of the money and people are always lucky to get more than a $10 check.

An iPhone costs $200, and people are getting checks for over $200???

blucable

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
I have been in the retailing world for quite a while and as far as my mind goes, liquid damage has never been covered at all unless you purchase a specific protection plan for the phone and still some of these plans you are required to pay a deductible.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Ahh, wish I had been made aware of this! I had problems with my 3g back in the day with this problem and have copies of old emails to apple support. Oh well. Guess I won't be waiting for my check...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
This settlement is insane. I thought the lawyers always took 99% of the money and people are always lucky to get more than a $10 check.

Normally, the class action settlement that most people are familiar with are huge settlements. Involving millions of claimants, over relatively small amounts of money. (I overpaid for this toaster due to price fixing - here's 35 cents.) And while the lawyers receive a lot of money, they don't usually receive "most" of it.

An iPhone costs $200, and people are getting checks for over $200???

An iPhone does not cost $200. The cheapest iPhone is $450. It's just that mobile phone providers in the US generally subsidize the cost of the phone in to their monthly plans to make the "down payment" cheaper.

Saying an iPhone is $200 is like saying a new car is free because you don't have to pay any money on the day you sign the paperwork. Or that a new house is $20,000 because that's what your down payment was.

People are getting large checks because they lost the use of their phone because Apple improperly denied a warranty claim. Because the person had to pay money to replace a phone that should have been replaced for free. In some cases, this cost was more than $200, because they either had to pay the full[/] price of the phone to replace it, or had to pay an early termination fee with their carrier to get a subsidized-price phone.

shadowarachh

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Way to promote a settlement that people affected can't even partake in. Why even bother with this article? Deadline was LAST YEAR.:mad::confused:

this. i never heard about this and had to pay the $200 fee for a refurb over my babied 3gs that didn't have a mark on it. oh well.

StealthscrapE

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Ahh, wish I had been made aware of this! I had problems with my 3g back in the day with this problem and have copies of old emails to apple support. Oh well. Guess I won't be waiting for my check...

Same here. I had a 3GS that I cracked the screen on. Got it fixed through the Genius Bar. A week later I had dead rows of pixels. That grew into large sections of dead pixels. I brought it in. Was denied warranty because of a kicked water indicator. Never went anywhere near water. Worst part was that they mentioned the water indicator when's had the screen fixed so I know it didn't happen between the repair and the issue arising.

Now that I think of it, it may have been a 3G. Were those covered too? Guessing there is no way to jump on this now, right?

NRubino

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I also got my check, not sure when it came, saw it in a pile of mail sitting on my kitchen table... It was also the $251.55 check. Read this article yesterday and thought nothing of it and I receive the check to complete surprise to me! YAY! I already have a 6Plus so I will not be dumping my check back to Apple. Sorry.

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
Some Owners of Older iOS Devices Receiving Up to $300 in Liquid Damage Indica...

UPDATE: the bank messed up a number on the check which is why it showed up in their system as cashed already. I tried a different bank (BoA was closed) and had no issues. Got my $251.55.

Well went to go cash the check today; was told by the teller that she has seen 3 of them already this week.

Ran into an issue though; apparently my check which I had in hand had already been cashed.... Got some help and called the number listed on the check and it showed it was cashed on their end also. No one knows what's going on; I will be receiving a call in 3 business days regarding this issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.