Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A sizeable number of Mac users are experiencing occasional system crashes after updating to macOS Catalina version 10.15.4, released a few weeks ago.

macos-catalina-imac-macbook-pro.jpg

The crashing issue appears to be most prominent when users attempt to make large file transfers. In a forum post, SoftRAID described the issue as a bug and said that it is working with Apple engineers on a fix for macOS 10.15.5, or a workaround.

SoftRAID said the issue extends to Apple-formatted disks:
There is a serious issue with 10.15.4.

It shows up in different scenarios, even on Apple disks but is more likely when there are lots of IO threads. We think it is a threading issue. So while SoftRAID volumes are hit the hardest (its now hard to copy more than 30GB of data at a time), all systems are impacted by this.

In our bug report to Apple, we used a method to reproduce the problem with ONLY Apple formatted disks. Takes longer to reproduce, but that is more likely to get a faster fix to the user base.
Other users on macOS 10.15.4 have experienced crashes after waking their Mac from sleep, with affected systems suffering a kernel panic and rebooting to the Apple logo, according to comments shared on the Apple Support Communities, MacRumors Forums, Reddit, and Twitter.

After updating to macOS 10.15.4, users may also experience continuous spinning up and spinning down of connected hard drives when a Mac is supposed to be asleep, which could result in damage to the drive, according to Jeremy Horwitz.

We've reached out to Apple for comment and we will provide an update if we hear back.

Article Link: Some Users Experiencing System Crashes on macOS 10.15.4, Especially During Large File Transfers

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: mhe_ and BamaGuy

spymousetruck

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2019
Yawwwn. So this finally gets coverage. It's been happening since 10.15.0: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250717203

Apple has been in touch with a number of reporters (myself included) and it seems they haven't been able to find the root cause behind these kernel panics. TL;DR: Happening to those with external displays; sleeping causes mac to crash. Also those with external USB drives / devices most likely to panic. The only way is to prevent the mac from sleeping (there are tools out there that do this). I've had this going on since 10.15.0. My new MBP Pro 16" crashes all the same (with external monitors) but ever since I installed an app that prevents the Mac from going idle, it hasn't crashed once.

Last edited:

MakeAppleAwesomeAgain

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2016
Wherever
Yesterday I did something I haven't done in 15 years of using macOS, having used every major release and patch release. I've downgraded my MBA '13 to Mojave. It became unusable with Catalina. The process sucks, I'm still reinstalling and configuring stuff but I guess it's worth it. Since 10.15.4 it couldn't even wakeup without crashing, last week I got a full system freeze when I was just editing a document and this weekend I had a kernel panic. SSD is fine, I've ran memtest for hours, there nothing wrong with this Macbook. I've been running 10.15 since it came out and it's by far the worst macOS release ever. Lion and Yosemite were heaven compared to Catalina.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Not the only problem I've been personally having after updating to 10.15.4. My external monitor stopped connecting right after the installation, and had to do an SMC reset to fix it. It still doesn't always connect.

I've also been having this issue that my cursor/keyboard sometimes remain unresponsive for several seconds after waking up from sleep.

Edit: all of these sporting the supposedly latest and greatest 16” MBP

Last edited:

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
It’s happened to me once or twice.

Usually I wake to find the computer running very slowly with kernel_task taking up something like 300-800% CPU. The computer says it’s at 1% battery and will not charge when plugged in. Restarting does not help, you need to to truly shut down and then reboot and luckily that’s all that has been needed thus far to solve these panics.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
Yesterday I did something I haven't done in 15 years of using macOS. I've downgraded my MBA '13 to Mojave. It became unusable with Catalina. The process sucks, I'm still reinstalling and configuring stuff but I guess it's worth it. Since 10.15.4 it couldn't even wakeup without crashing, last week I got a full system freeze when I was just editing a document and this weekend I had a kernel panic. SSD is fine, I've ran memtest for hours, the Macbook is fine. I've been running 10.15 since it came out and it's by far the worst macOS release ever. Lion and Yosemite were heaven when compared to Catalina.
I have a 2015 Air and upgraded to Mojave from Sierra back when that was released and it was a disaster.
Battery 1/4 of what I got on Sierra was the main issue, I'd wake up in the morning with a dead battery after it was fully charged.
Went through the process of downgrading which I'd never done before either, photos library, iTunes I found some workarounds luckily to keep those working.
Staying on Sierra for the foreseeable future unless I need to upgrade to a new Mac

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Interestingly enough the previous mojave build fixed an issue i had where large amounts of disk access caused interrupt handling problems; the mouse cursor would be jerky and sound playback was severely distorted, requiring a reboot. Guess i won't be installing this update.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Although not related, I will add that my 16-inch MacBook Pro refuses to wake up its internal display in the following scenario AT ALL TIMES:
  • Clamshell mode
  • connected to USB-C dock
  • disconnect the laptop from the USB-C dock while the laptop is in clamshell mode.

When you raise the lid, after you do this, everything else works - TouchBar, backlit keyboard, trackpad, speakers, but NOT the monitor. The monitor is just black.

The only solution I have found is to restart the machine. I don't mind because boot-up time is fast and I can get back to doing work, but it is just annoying.

rmusto92

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2017
Yesterday I did something I haven't done in 15 years of using macOS, having used every major release and patch release. I've downgraded my MBA '13 to Mojave. It became unusable with Catalina. The process sucks, I'm still reinstalling and configuring stuff but I guess it's worth it. Since 10.15.4 it couldn't even wakeup without crashing, last week I got a full system freeze when I was just editing a document and this weekend I had a kernel panic. SSD is fine, I've ran memtest for hours, there nothing wrong with this Macbook. I've been running 10.15 since it came out and it's by far the worst macOS release ever. Lion and Yosemite were heaven compared to Catalina.

I have 4 2018 Mac mini's, Catalina is unusable on all of them, it constantly drops 5GHZ wifi, I test with Catalina on the office machines and run Mojave on my personal Mac mini, Mojave is 100% solid and stable.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Its this stuff that makes me wish they would go back to the 1.5+ year OS cycle. I know they are stuck because they like to do them all at once - but the pressure to put features into each build causes issues. Imagine 1.5-2 years of rock solid Mojave development and fixes, then come out with Catalina, and have time to perfect it.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Its this stuff that makes me wish they would go back to the 1.5+ year OS cycle. I know they are stuck because they like to do them all at once - but the pressure to put features into each build causes issues. Imagine 1.5-2 years of rock solid Majave development and fixes, then come out with Catalina, and have time to perfect it.

Agreed! The release cycle is too short. The previous year's OS is just starting to become solid when the new version comes out and it gets no more updates :(

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have a 2015 Air and upgraded to Mojave from Sierra back when that was released and it was a disaster.
Battery 1/4 of what I got on Sierra was the main issue, I'd wake up in the morning with a dead battery after it was fully charged.
Went through the process of downgrading which I'd never done before either, photos library, iTunes I found some workarounds luckily to keep those working.
Staying on Sierra for the foreseeable future unless I need to upgrade to a new Mac

After more than a year of post-release repair, Mojave seems fine. If you were to try a test install on a separate disk you might find it ok.

davidhunter51

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
I've had this problem for several years on multiple OS's back to Yosemite. If I mount two NAS devices (over 1GB ethernet on managed switch) and copy folders from one to another in Finder, and have more than a few of those going at the same time, with gigs of data and possibly thousands of files, my MacPros often kernel panic and reboot. If I use an app like Chronosync to do this, I have no problems. I just wish macOS had a way of warning the user when too many threads are about to push it into a kernel panic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.