Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have locked a select group of users out of their Apple ID accounts over the past 20 hours or so, with no clear indication yet as to why the incident has occurred. According to reports on Reddit and Twitter, users are being kicked out of their Apple IDs for security reasons, and forced to reset their password to gain access to their account.

appleid.jpg

Users report this happening without warning on iPhone, Apple TV, and other Apple devices, while they were using Apple Music, watching TV, etc. The original poster on Reddit confirmed that they have two factor authentication enabled and a unique iCloud password for their Apple ID not used anywhere else, and many users report similar settings.

On Twitter, @AppleSupport is guiding users to the Support Communities web page that explains what to do if your Apple ID is locked and disabled. In nearly all instances across social media, users are reporting that they must reset their Apple ID password to be able to get back into their accounts.

With no official word from Apple and no clear reason behind these forced password resets, it's unclear why some users were affected and what caused Apple to initiate the wave of resets in the first place. We've reached out to Apple for a comment, and will update this article if we hear back.

Article Link: Some Users Locked Out of Their Apple IDs, Forced to Reset Passwords

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It looks like I'm in the unaffected group. I was able to login to iCloud.com with my username, password and 2-factor code sent to my iPhone.

I was also able to login to my account through iTunes on the desktop with no problems.

Dodged a bullet, I guess... :p

Reactions: George Dawes

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Since I got my Xs I have had to reset my password 6x’s with no clear reason why. I will be using my devices as normal then get the prompt to re-enter my password. I hit cancel and go into iCloud settings and sure enough it was legit request. Enter my password then says I need to unlock my account. Go ahead with process to unlock and then request to reset password. Very annoying. Apple support does not see anything suspicious with my account.

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Not to me, but to a good friend last week. He had his phone in for a new battery. While waiting at the Apple Store for his service to finish, he logged in to his iCloud account using a store computer and was immediately locked out. Since his device was disabled at the moment, he could not get back in until after the service was done - and then it took an enormous effort to do so, even with all of the Apple personnel and tech support online.

I'm curious - I wonder if this isn't a glitch associated with an iDevice or an Apple ID somehow being erroneously flagged as compromised.

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
Hasn’t happened to me in the past 24 hours but I’ve had this happen to two accounts over the past couple of months. Using device, as usual, it asks for password, refuses to accept what I am 100% sure is the correct password, then forces me to reset the password. Wonder what’s going on. Tech support had no idea why it happened either time other than saying it was for the security of my account.

fhamadeh

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
San Mateo, CA
Happened to me as well. Had to unlock my account and reset my password. Really makes you realize how many devices you use your Apple ID to sign-in on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.