Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Has anyone heard what caused some of us to be locked out of our Apple accounts and forced to log back in?

At first I thought no big deal. I received the message "For security reasons" I needed to create a new password for my Apple ID and log back in on all my devices. No big deal.

But then this morning I awoke to find an email from Apple stating my Billing information was updated. I logged into my Apple ID account to find my credit card information has been deleted. I am beginning to wonder if there was a security breach on some accounts and Apple is proactively safeguarding these accounts?

If so, I wish they would inform us of what is going on...

I am almost at the point where I am going to create a new email, and a new Apple ID. Can never be too careful.

Apple has been unusually silent on the issue. I wish they would at least acknowledge the matter.

Reactions: OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Happened to me. Ironically, I also got hit with fraudulent charges on my CC from the iTunes store. Already contacted my CC company.
Contact AppleCare they will refund you and lock your iTunes / App Store until you get your card number changed

biggie5252

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2018
Hmmmm....I would rely on the pop-ups to your device(s) as to whether you are locked out and need to reset your PW. Just take it slowly. I was locked out of many devices this morning and it took me an hour or so to get things back to normal. The only email that I got from Apple was one tell me that my password was reset AFTER i reset it. I never got one ahead of time like you did.

My 2c. Good luck.

Thank you. I was fortunate to not be locked out at all. The email was obvious spam with awful spelling, grammar, and all.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Contact AppleCare they will refund you and lock your iTunes / App Store until you get your card number changed
The fraudulent charges would be to a different iTunes account, so there's no point in contacting Apple. The bank will reverse the charges.

smplysayng

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
So this happened again today (now for a second time in just over a month). Did anyone ever figure out why this happened and has it happened to anyone else today?

santa

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2003
I just checkee my icloud web access and I am able to get in now in spite of being locked out a month or so ago. I did realize that one of my blockers in Firefox was causing a problem so I tried Safari and I got in properly. When this issue cropped up for me a month or two ago I even had two apple techs try to help me access my iCloud web page to no avail. In the end they told me I had to either give up my mac.com account email for access or I could continue to use my mac.com account but I would not be able to get into the web iCloud account. Then inexplicably some time later I was able to get into the web page. My issue did not involve credit cards, just my ability to log into my web page iCloud account. If that is the issue, you may find access granted in hours, days or weeks ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.