Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Have absolutely had this issue. I was shocked. I usually finished the day with about 50% left on my 12 mini. After updating, I've been getting down to 0% with the same use! My poor mini, it already struggles enough with battery life lol

EDIT: I also experienced the unexpected heating issue while doing basic tasks like looking at email.
Did you think of looking at battery usage and see what is using energy? Might be a good check, sometimes apps run a lot in the background and we swear we are not using them

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Yes, it happens with every update for many users.

This time it seems to me worse than usual, though.

Luckily for me I don't need to carry my iPhone outside all the day lately, otherwise I'd have to rely on a power bank or look often for a charging spot especially with a sustained use.

Before the update the charge of my iPhone X lasted way longer.
Weird, my iPhone X lasts just the same. Maybe Facebook or something is upping their game on stealing data

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
My 11” iPad Pro battery drain has been insane since 14.5. I frequently have to charge during the day now rather than charging once every day or two at night.
My 11” iPad Pro battery drain has been insane since the moment I got the Magic Keyboard case... if I forget to remove it when I'm done (PITA) then I'll have a dead iPad... I'll take a lesser battery drain for a fix to this (though I'd rather AAPL just GIST).

• Wow
Reactions: SqlInjection

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Yep, my iPhone 8+ has much less battery at end of the day than before. I thought maybe I was using it differently except I didn’t remember doing anything different.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
11 Pro Max, definitely am noticing a substantial difference with battery life when compared to pre 14.6. Also notice that my phone gets way warmer than usual for no reason that I can really see. Used to easily make it to bed (I usually go to sleep around 12-12:30) with like 20–25% left. Now, when 8pm hits, I already need to throw the phone on a charger.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I've got a wireless charger at work and plug it in on the way home for podcasts, so I never really notice battery drain on the phone. That said, my Series 6 Watch seems to be draining faster than normal.

• Wow

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Definite issue here that I have not seen with any other update. My 11 Pro battery would normally be at 30% after a full day. (Say 6am to 10pm). I'm at that by 5pm nearly now. Restarted phone multiple times, re-installed apps that appears to be using the most battery etc. Still the same. Very frustrating. For those that keep saying check what's using most of your battery? Safari. Funny, as I use it less than any other app on the phone.

meDANOcine

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
The MacRumors site has been causing my phone to heat up and drain more quickly for a while now, including when I was on 14.5.1. Otherwise, battery life is much improved for me on 14.6. 12 Pro here.

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
Did you think of looking at battery usage and see what is using energy? Might be a good check, sometimes apps run a lot in the background and we swear we are not using them
I did take a look at battery usage, in terms of percentage and time per app, everything seemed correct, but the battery graph was like a steep cliff lol Really bizarre

• Wow

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Have absolutely had this issue. I was shocked. I usually finished the day with about 50% left on my 12 mini. After updating, I've been getting down to 0% with the same use! My poor mini, it already struggles enough with battery life lol

EDIT: I also experienced the unexpected heating issue while doing basic tasks like looking at email.
Sounds like Apple added a tight CPU loop in the code to help your battery degrade faster ;-)

DesignTime

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2021
Maybe “recalibrate” is code for “remove usable battery life so we can get people to upgrade their phones this fall”? And why is it every iPhone I’ve ever own starts getting hot when the phone is 1.5-2 years old?

iL15hts

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
I thought I was the only one experiencing this. That's why I forced to update to beta 14.7 because of this.

Reactions: macleod199

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I've experienced nothing like this with any other update. So, no.
It happens for some people with every update. It doesn’t happen for most people with an update.

I’ve had the issue occur in the past with an update. I had to reset my phone to fix the issue. That was an easy fix because I had an iCloud backup. No problems this time.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
A week or so ago MacRumors ran a story on iPhone battery usage and tips to minimize drain. It's worth reading.

So many little things you take for granted engaging your phone during the day do add up and result in greater battery drain.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
11 Pro Max here and yep...lately the battery is in the 50's when I plug it in the morning to charge it for the day. Usually in the 70-80's when I go to charge it up. Noticed it was very warm the other day after browsing IG.

Oddly my Watch SE battery died yesterday late afternoon. Never, ever has done that. I always have at least 50% in the evening when I put it on its charger. Probably a coincidence, but odd none the less...

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I am also charging my iPhone 12 Pro Max more often, it used to survive a day easily with more than 40% remaining the next morning. Now I have to charge it by 8 pm and my habit hasn't changed. I also kind of wonder if it is related to the AirTags in my case. I am seeing "find my" in the battery usage all the time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.