Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Both mine and my wifes makes a small rattle near the top. You have to really listen for it though. Just lightly hit the phone in your hand. It might be the vibrator mechanism which is right around there.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Never owned a phone with camera before?

It's the autofocus that's making the rattling sound, same on all af cellphone cameras ;)
[/COLOR]

OK so why is this only present on a few iPhones.

Bosep

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
OK so why is this only present on a few iPhones.

It's not ! same on every iphone and phone with AF, iPhone, nexus one, desire, Evo.

n00bs were complaining about this on the as well N1 until they realized what it came from.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
It's not ! same on every iphone and phone with AF, iPhone, nexus one, desire, Evo.

Well then I guess the rattling I'm getting is different I've tried to hear the same rattle on a few other iPhone 4's and it just isn't there. I guess I still need to keep my genius appointment.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Tap the general area of the camera, it will rattle. Tap anywhere else and it's solid.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Tap the general area of the camera, it will rattle. Tap anywhere else and it's solid.

Mine makes more noise if I shake it than tapping but tapping anywhere on the phone makes the same noise.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Mine makes more noise if I shake it than tapping but tapping anywhere on the phone makes the same noise.

Shaking does it for me as well but tapping it isolated which area it comes from. Mine only rattles by the camera when I tap it. The rest is rock solid.

Bosep

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Well then I guess the rattling I'm getting is different I've tried to hear the same rattle on a few other iPhone 4's and it just isn't there. I guess I still need to keep my genius appointment.

Sure hope the genius at apple knows what he's doing and don't give you a new one.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Sure hope the genius at apple knows what he's doing and don't give you a new one.

I don't want a new one, everything about this one is perfect (except for the noise) and you never know if a replacement may have issues. I want to make sure it's not a more serious problem. At the very least I will document it was doing this in case it becomes a bigger issue later. I really don't see how you can diagnose my problem without hearing yourself, I have tried to replicate it with several other phones and the rattling in mine is far more pronounced.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I have had two iPhone 4's. One had SIM failures and was DEAD SILENT when I shook it. My replacement has the rattle, and the rattle is definitely not coming from any buttons.

alejovh1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
I don't want a new one, everything about this one is perfect (except for the noise) and you never know if a replacement may have issues. I want to make sure it's not a more serious problem. At the very least I will document it was doing this in case it becomes a bigger issue later. I really don't see how you can diagnose my problem without hearing yourself, I have tried to replicate it with several other phones and the rattling in mine is far more pronounced.

keep us posted on what the genius says

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
OK after looking and tapping another phone, I can get the noise to come from the camera on both, however there is a distinctly different noise and from a different location from mine that is loudest with a side to side motion, the camera noise seems to be more prevalent in the opposite direction.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This s*** again?

There were 10 million threads last year about this as well.

The rattle is normal. There is not a problem. Every 3GS I have ever picked up in the past year has had this rattle. It is the autofocus. If you are unable to replicate the rattle sound, you are simply doing it wrong.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
If you are unable to replicate the rattle sound, you are simply doing it wrong.

Yeah, don't think so. I've shaken this phone every which way and it doesn't make a peep. I know this issue. I had it on my 3GS. My iPhone 4 doesn't have it.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
If you are unable to replicate the rattle sound, you are simply doing it wrong.

Would you care to explain how I am doing it wrong, I'm doing the exact same thing with both phones. Also can you explain what part of the camera moves side to side, I can understand the lens moving front to back, that makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.