Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonnet this week announced its latest Thunderbolt 4 dock, the Echo 20, and one of its key features is an internal enclosure for an M.2 NVMe SSD. This allows the dock to double as an external storage drive for a Mac.

Sonnet-Echo-20-Thunderbolt-4-Dock.jpg

Accessible from the bottom of the dock, the enclosure can hold up to an 8TB SSD and supports data transfer speeds up to 800 MB/s, according to Sonnet.

The dock is also equipped with an upstream Thunderbolt 4 port that provides up to 100W of pass-through charging to a connected Mac, two downstream Thunderbolt 4 ports, four USB-C ports with up to 10 Gbps speeds, four USB-A ports with up to 10 Gbps speeds, one HDMI 2.1 port, one 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port, one 3.5mm combo audio jack, one 3.5mm microphone jack, left and right RCA line out jacks, and one SD card slot.

The dock is designed for use with devices equipped with Thunderbolt ports, including all of Apple's latest Mac and iPad Pro models, providing expanded connectivity for external displays, USB accessories, and other peripherals.

The Echo 20 is available to order on Sonnet's website for $299.99 in the United States and will be available at additional retailers soon. The dock has an external power supply and ships with a 0.7-meter Thunderbolt 4 cable in the box. Sonnet has a similar Thunderbolt dock that supports dual SSDs for up to 16TB of storage, but it has fewer ports.

Article Link: Sonnet's Latest Thunderbolt 4 Dock Features Internal SSD Enclosure

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Lots of ports and display bandwidth to cover in one dock I’d have thought. Also consider cooling a high performance SSD in that enclosure.

Reactions: Stenik

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
You do realize that 800 MB/s = 6,400 Mbps = (about) 6Gbps, right?
(Units matter, MB/s is MegaBytes Per Second, Mbps is MegaBits Per Second and there are 8 bits per Byte)
as I said, for TB4/NVMe I expect better ... do some research please, those can go up to 3000MBs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.