Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'd like to see more choice for Mini/Studio owners (now that its clear that Apple is enthusiastic about the form factor).

Apart from 'stacking' nicely with the Mini/Studio (there are a few Mini hubs like that) that includes:

* No need for 100W charging (it will still need enough power to run bus-powered drives etc. but not such a huge power brick)
* No need for Ethernet/audio out
* Plenty of USB-C (it's a desktop, I can live with C-to-A adapters that more or less stay put - unlike a laptop)
* Dedicated USB controllers - not paying $300 for something functionally equivalent to a $30 USB 3 hub.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Curious, what are people using the line out audio plugs for? An old school receiver? You'd think just about everyone would be rocking at least an optical port by now.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
as I said, for TB4/NVMe I expect better ... do some research please, those can go up to 3000MBs

Yes, but those TB4 controllers are not yet available. Standards are still being finalized. This is hobbled due to old controllers and fewer lanes on the m.2 card. We should be getting products like this that can do 3000MB/s by early next year at the latest.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
The size of this dock looks funny, it looks as if you should be able to fit more than a single m.2 2280 drive for storage expansion, even though I'm sure there's plenty of stuff in there that need the elbow room as well.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
With faster SSD speeds, this would be a no brainer for me. Currently I have an older Thunderbolt 3 dock with an external SSD and an external HDD using up two of the faster ports. This has a great port selection _and_ I'd be able to free up two of them. Sonnet, if you're reading....

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
would this gracefully be able to eject or require manual ejection every time you want to unplug from the dock?
macOS ALWAYS requires you to eject any mounted drives before unplugging. This is a macOS issue, not an issue with this or any other dock you might use.

Some folks might complain about buying an app that disconnects all of your external drives, but for me, this app has been very helpful over time:

I tend to have 4-6 external drives connected at times, and just clicking once to remove them all is great. YMMV

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Eh it was the network port that lost me. I don’t care if the SSD speed is 800. Heck I’m using an external now that gets 500. But I need 10Gbps Ethernet. I ended up getting OWCs new dock.

analog guy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
macOS ALWAYS requires you to eject any mounted drives before unplugging. This is a macOS issue, not an issue with this or any other dock you might use.

Some folks might complain about buying an app that disconnects all of your external drives, but for me, this app has been very helpful over time:

I tend to have 4-6 external drives connected at times, and just clicking once to remove them all is great. YMMV
+1

OWC Thunderbolt docks (at least the one I have) include a software tool to eject devices.

Reactions: gank41

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Curious, what are people using the line out audio plugs for? An old school receiver? You'd think just about everyone would be rocking at least an optical port by now.
Good for wired powered desktop speakers. Apple hardware no longer does optical out which pushes most back to using analog.

Reactions: Shamgar and dmr727

residentpro

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I'm just going to leave this here in case anyone is considering this dock from Sonnet.

Attachments

• Sonnect Zero TB Approved.png
    Sonnect Zero TB Approved.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 105
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.