Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Very weird, it’s like Sonos is conflating the “smart speaker” (consumer surveillance) market with the high-end audio market...much like most of the tech press.

I’ll get a HomePod eventually, but I have no interest in any of these ridiculous Alexa/Google Home “features”. Frankly I don’t get the appeal of talking to my speaker, I just want a kick ass audio player.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Personally, I don’t think it’s a great deal.
It’s $50 bucks off. Big deal.

First I already have several of the first gen play 1’s which work flawlessly in stereo in addition to my Connect amp integrated with my home theatre. Have no interest whatsoever with dealing with “Alexa”, she’s not welcome in my house. As far as the HomePod goes, seems as though Siri on all my Apple iPads and phone at this point do exactly what the HomePod would do minus the ability to play music.

As far as I am concerned I’m still quite capable of opening the sonos app to play my music and yelling hey Siri if I need something else answered or checked and that seems to work fine so I’m not too sure how I would incorporate a HomePod space wise and what added benefits if any it would offer. No sale here tomorrow on both fronts.
I have every intention of never integrating Amazon Alexa or Google Home into my world.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Won't be getting a HomePod on day one, but would love to once you can integrate other audio services into it. We just bought a Sonos One and love they fact we can play the local radio station in the morning with a simple voice command while half awake.

Reactions: bopajuice

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So what has stopped you from buying one? The lack of an Apple logo?
The lack of necessity. I have to buy a car amongst other things and it's frankly not a priority right now. I might get a homepod around the holidays, but I don't need anything right now.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You know what, on second thought I'm looking that the reviews and seeing a lot of people complaining about the Alexa integration. Maybe an echo plus would be better, haha

Or just buy a Sonos Play 1. It doesn't have Alexa integration, but it's a damn good speaker. I have three of them. They're currently selling on Amazon for less than $140 USD.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I received a Sonos Play 1 for Xmas and have to say I am really impressed. I have had several bluetooth and/or portable speakers in the past including a few different Bose iterations, Beats, B&O, and even a DefTech, but the Sonos just blows most away. Software also plays a big part of the equation. I like that with Sonos I can sync up with most popular music services, and even direct it to the music folder on my home NAS. Pretty slick device. Room filling sound.

Even if they are trying to anticipate Apple's release, I think the Sonos will still be very competitive and do just fine. Their products also interact with other systems.

Yet, like most things Apple, they will ask premium prices even if their specs and performance don't compare to some cheaper priced alternatives. Yet the Apple crowd will defend Apple to the end and criticize everyone else. My guess is the HomePod will only work with Apple Music and iTunes.

For me, living in an all Apple Eco-System is becoming more of a novelty. I am beginning to just use what works and is best for my needs. Who knows, when the HomePod comes out it may the end all be all and I will have get one, or just another option in a sea of speakers. Either way Siri and Alexa functionality does not interest me at this point. Sound quality does.
[doublepost=1516899763][/doublepost]
Very weird, it’s like Sonos is conflating the “smart speaker” (consumer surveillance) market with the high-end audio market...much like most of the tech press.

I’ll get a HomePod eventually, but I have no interest in any of these ridiculous Alexa/Google Home “features”. Frankly I don’t get the appeal of talking to my speaker, I just want a kick ass audio player.

Get the Sonos Play 1. No Alexa.

Reactions: mw360 and HacKage

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Competition is good. How nice it is to see more than one player driving other quality players to deliver lower prices for us consumers. Some of us so often seem to be wishing away any competition but- when it gets a chance to work- it generally works for us. As they say: be careful what you wish for.

nimbusthegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Dallas, TX
'HomePod heat'? You can't be serious. HomePods won't even be able to be used as a stereo pair or in a multi-room setup at launch, which is something Sonos has been doing flawlessly for years. If you give Apple $349, you get one speaker. If you give Sonos $349, you get two speakers. I know which one I'd choose...Sonos every time.

I'm curious, how does the HomePod sound compared to the Sonos? Oh, that's right, you've likely never heard one.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
For me, living in an all Apple Eco-System is becoming more of a novelty. I am beginning to just use what works and is best for my needs. Who knows, when the HomePod comes out it may the end all be all and I will have get one, or just another option in a sea of speakers. Either way Siri and Alexa functionality does not interest me at this point. Sound quality does.

I feel the same about the “eco system”. It used to be more of a selling point, but these days I don’t find that it offers much of an advantage. After Apple Music and the wretched iTunes Match service screwed up my music library I dropped Apple Music for another service. And I don’t miss Apple at all. It was easy to leave the eco system.

My Sonos system lets me use my high end in-wall and in-ceiling speakers throughout my house (using Connect and Connect:Amp boxes) plus I have a few Sonos speakers for rooms without built in speakers. They all work together and play true stereo - and have done so for years.

Apple isn’t bringing anything new to market here. It’s just their spin on a speaker. No doubt a lot of overnight “audiophiles” who never cares about “audio quality” until Apple entered the speaker market will buy it. But after that, good luck competing with Sonos and other systems that offer more functionality and choice of music services.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
People do understand that some of us do not use any of those other services at all... so that infographic means absolutely nothing. The missing HomeKit capabilities does however mean a lot.

Consumer options from more than one seller is always good for us consumers. If a proprietary thing like Homekit is essential to you, you have only a single source of this kind of product and have to pay whatever that source demands to get it. But that seller does have that so you can get what you must have from them.

Others who may not be so married to any given proprietary feature can enjoy the power of competition, and how that might be able to get them more for their money.

Everybody wins with good & healthy competition. In turn, hopefully no one supplier wins and thus kills off all of the other competition. That scenario is NEVER good for us consumers.

Reactions: Askolan

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So it's just coincidence that Sonos is starting this sale the same day the HomePod goes on sale? It's just a coincidence that their CMO alludes to HomePod when announcing the sale?

Perhaps "concerned" is a better word than "scared," but don't be naïve to think Sonos didn't launch this sale to entice people to buy Sonos over the HomePod. Sonos wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't realize this and attempt to head it off.

I wouldn't call this cancern. Sonos is just offering something much better (which it is) for the same price of a HomePod. I say Sonos is positioning themselves to compete regardless.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
'HomePod heat'? You can't be serious. HomePods won't even be able to be used as a stereo pair or in a multi-room setup at launch, which is something Sonos has been doing flawlessly for years. If you give Apple $349, you get one speaker. If you give Sonos $349, you get two speakers. I know which one I'd choose...Sonos every time.
Very foolish to write down the price of the two offers and not see the clear similarities. Here's where critical thinking skills comes in: why would Sonos price their deal at the same price as the HomePod? They are scared. Which is good. Competition is good. If the HomePod is anything like my AirPods it'll be a success.

Can't wait to purchase Friday.

Reactions: s15119

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I wouldn't call this cancern. Sonos is just offering something much better (which it is) for the same price of a HomePod. I say Sonos is positioning themselves to compete regardless.

Plus Sonos offers way more products and the ability to connect to existing home stereo systems. Let’s face it. Anyone who is serious about audio quality isn’t looking to a $350 WiFi speaker.

Reactions: Askolan

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
So it's just coincidence that Sonos is starting this sale the same day the HomePod goes on sale? It's just a coincidence that their CMO alludes to HomePod when announcing the sale?

Perhaps "concerned" is a better word than "scared," but don't be naïve to think Sonos didn't launch this sale to entice people to buy Sonos over the HomePod. Sonos wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't realize this and attempt to head it off.

I am sure it is not coincidence at all. When a new product appears on the market, it will inevitably take away market share from competing products. I think those looking for some conspiracy, or tail between the legs scenario that just does not exist are missing the point. I think Sonos is making a good business decision to undercut the price of Apple's products to sell more speakers. I see it as a plus, especially since a lower price for a quality speaker benefits the consumer. Win win.

I am all for brand loyally, but when it starts to be an us against them thing, many will miss out on some other great technology.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Very foolish to write down the price of the two offers and not see the clear similarities. Here's where critical thinking skills comes in: why would Sonos price their deal at the same price as the HomePod? They are scared. Which is good. Competition is good. If the HomePod is anything like my AirPods it'll be a success.

Can't wait to purchase Friday.

Similarities?

You mean like ability to link two speakers together for true stereo sound? Oh right, you’re going to have to wait (until ???) and buy another HomePod to get that.

You mean like placing one Sonos One is the kitchen and the other in the living room and having multi-room audio? Oh right, you’re going to have to wait - and buy another HomePod - to get that.

Or are you talking about being able to play music from Apple Music, Google, Spotify, and 50+ additional services? Oh right, with HomePod you can’t.

What similarities are you talking about? The price point? Because that’s the only similarity and it’s pretty obvious which is the better deal.

HomePod, when compared to Sonos, brings to mind that saying about a fool and his money...

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

Can't wait to purchase Friday

Glad to see you support only Apple products. AirPods are nice, a successful product, but there are better sounding EarPods out there. I am sure the same can be said for HomePod. If buying only Apple makes you happy who am I to judge. But I have to ask why is Sonos being "scared" even an issue? Does it make you feel better that when Apple releases a product it intimidates competitors? Maybe its just a form of cheerleading for your team?

Reactions: Phonephreak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.