Sony Announces PlayStation App for iPhone and iPod Touch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Sony today announced that it is preparing to launch an official PlayStation application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app will be free and will only be available in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and The Netherlands in its first iteration.

The app will offer the following features:

- Check out your PlayStation Network trophies and keep up to date with your friends’ games and online --- status.
- Discover all the latest games, news and hardware for your PlayStation 3, PSP and PlayStation 2.
- Read all the announcements on the European PlayStation.Blog.
- Share your favourite products or news with your friends on Facebook, Twitter or via e-mail.
The app will require iOS 4 or higher. A version for the Android OS will also be released. Sony's entry into the iOS App Market is interesting given the increasing competition between Sony and Apple in the mobile gaming space. Earlier this year, Sony produced ads specifically dismissing iOS/smart phone games.

Article Link: Sony Announces PlayStation App for iPhone and iPod Touch

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
The app will require iOS 4 or higher. A version for the Android OS will also be released. Sony's entry into the iOS App Market is interesting given the increasing competition between Sony and Apple in the mobile gaming space. Earlier this year, Sony produced ads specifically dismissing iOS/smart phone games.
Which is Ironic cause two of the top iOS games Flight Plan and soon to be Angry birds are available via PSN :D

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Nope. You guys can wait for a change :D

I'm all for simultaneous releases, but how hard can it be to release an App worldwide?

Unless they are using their crappy PSN servers that melted when a mere 600,000 people signed in within a few hours to play Killzone 2.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
I'd LOVE for this app to be able to act as a wifi keyboard for my PS3. I don't think bluetooth is possible as Apple hardly allows anything over bluetooth, but I don't think there's anything stopping a wifi keyboard from happening.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I agree 100%. Why not make an app where you can control your PS3 over wifi?!
Because the bluetooth remote is practically given away. Why would I waste my iPhone's battery on that ? That sounds even more worthless than what this app is going to be, a glorified Facebook type app for PSN.

ctdonath

macrumors 65832
Mar 11, 2009
Looking forward to this. :)
Looking forward to what?

It lets you browse PS news, chat about PS, and shop for PS stuff. Wa-hoo, more advertising masquerading as social networking.

Nothing in the release indicates you can PLAY PlayStation games with it.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Little to Late Sony

Here's an example of a company coming to their senses.

What example you say? Sony realizes that they need Apple and to be on their good side so Steve and Apple will not pursue full throttle in destroying their portable gaming market (Nintendo should take note as well as Microsoft).

Unfortunately Sony has came to their senses to late, cause the iPod Touch in 2012 will have the LION share of the portable gaming market.

Bruce

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
People actually give a crap about those trophies?

Did some idiot actually spend hours trying to kill every bird in GTA just so they could get a trophy!?

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I turn all this crap off on my ps3, why would i want to have it on my phone.

maybe if i was 12.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.