Sony Tablet: A Challenger Appears?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Crosbie, Apr 25, 2011.

1. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

3. Skika macrumors 68030

I kinda like Sony, they give something on quality hardware. If i were to choose a PC notebook id choose a Vaio.

So I expect a good quality tablet from them. They have some pretty sick screens in really smalll laptops, so maybe there will be a sick screen in their tablet too? Anyways, more competition is good.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I love on the picture, in small print "design subject to change". :rolleyes:

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

This assumes Sony's Playstation Network will be up and operational any time soon. :D

6. infosprt macrumors regular

Pic from WSJ

The S2 could be a success. The S1 looks too much like a me too product.

Attached Files:

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Second that emotion....

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The problem Sony have nowadays is always the same one, and I will be amazed if this is any different.

PRICE.......

Sony can made some nice "looking" stuff, albeit that does not always mean it's the best inside.

Their problem is that they still have the mentality they had 20 years ago when you could pretty much say Sony stuff was the best quality consumer product available.
    Since then the other major Japanese brands caught up and passed them, Sony then brought out some cheap junk to compete, but they still can't get it into their head that they are no longer the best and they can't ask the price premium for their brand they once could.

They will probably price this at a point that only the loyal Sony buyer will go for, and sit there wondering why it's not selling as well as another tablet which does the same job for 2/3rds the price.

So far Asus has set the bar with the Transformer that others have to aim for. There is no point in making an identical tablet $100 or $ 200 more than the Asus model unless you can justify it in a big way.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know Vaio products "look" nice, but I have heard that in reality they are pretty bad, and the quality is only skin deep styling.

10. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

whoever told you that was lying. I, personally have 2 vaio laptops, their ux computer, and a desktop. The only thing that really gave me issues was the desktop but that was because it was an amd platform and...well it was just a horrible mainboard (asus i think), the two notebooks. both sz's are great machines. 5 years and still going strong on mine and they've taken a beating.

as far as contender...i'm not too sure, each so far have their own general purpose or use.

11. lionqueen macrumors 6502

My Vaio was awful. Problems galore-overheating, dead motherboard... It just never ended. I was glad when it finally croaked. I bought an HP, which was ok but not that great. When that died in spring of 09, i got me an Asus g71. Never looked back, almost two years now and not 1 problem, still superfast. I love my Asus. The Vaio, on the other hand... You couldn't pay me to own a Vaio again.

12. lionqueen macrumors 6502

13. paulcdb macrumors regular

Sony used to make some nice stuff years ago but as said previously, they just aren't pushing out the quality anymore.

I bought a bravia tv a few years ago, first one had lines going through the LCD on opening, 2nd one had same problem a few months later and went back for repairs, since then I've moved brands.

As for VIAO stuff, i've yet to see anything recent that was worth the price compared to competitors.

Can't imagine these being anywhere close to iPad competition either tbh

14. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

For five consecutive days I haven't touched my PS3 in hopes PSN will be up and running, just how long is this darn maintenance?

15. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

It isn't maintenance, it was hacked. Sony is still trying to figure out if credit cards, emails or personal info was taken.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Agreed, they will be very nicely finished, all look and feel top quality and about 50% more expensive than other identical honeycomb tablets. Sony lovers will buy them but they won't really get anywhere as they are too expensive for mass appeal.

Sony could get away with this back in the Trinitron days as their tvs were better, but not really anymore.

Especially at this moment in time when models are changing every single year, and price is king at the moment.

17. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

[​IMG]

Seriously though, this thing will be top-heavy, and it's centre of gravity will be skewed.

18. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I second that motion. I loaned my mom my ATV2 to see if she likes it, so the PS3 is my Netflix now. Why the #$%& is it necessary that you sign into Playstation Network to use Netflix?

19. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Exactly, it should be just like on iOS devices, just sign into your Apple ID and start using iTunes and app store to download stuff whenever you need it. You shouldn't be limited to surfing the Internet and doing other stuff that is not relevant to PSN. They need to update this so that you can use third party stuff and browse the Internet on your PS3 without signing into your PSN account.

20. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Truthfully, no tablet coming out in the third and fourth quarter of this year stands a chance after Apple releases iOS 5 and the iPhone 5.

21. Blakjack, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Hopefully it thinner than it looks, but yea that seems retarded. I see there purpose as far keeping it tilted for typing, but thats what cases are for. They could have left that curved wing thing off.

EDIT: Sony says the curved design of the S1 creates a "sense of lightness" which is good for long periods of use.

I hope that sense of lightness is because its ACTUALLY lighter not because it looks lighter.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I see the Asus Transformer has just launched in the US and Amazon sold out within minutes.

Seems like a lot of interest in this product.

Certainly seems to have hit a sweet spot on price and specs and is the model everyone is going to have to aim for if they wish to compete.
    :)

23. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I bet Sony's tablet can at least connect to WiFi :D and come with email, contacts, and calendar.

But, who we kidding. An Etch 'n' Sketch could be out the BlackBerry PlayBook.