Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spawnofstumpy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
It almost makes you feel bad for Sony, because these are actually cool products, but you know no one is going to buy them

I love Sony stuff & used to prefer Sony phones before iPhone came out. Just wish they didn't use Android as its a piece of *&^t.. liking that small fit band thingy..

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Am I missing the point, or is everyone else missing it...if this Sony 'Wrist Band' can make and receive calls without a tethered phone, just like the Samsung Gear S, then this is pretty cool (IMO).

You can leave your actual phone at home while jogging, leave your phone in the hotel safe while down in the pool, leave it at home when going surfing, etc, and you still can get calls an answer anything important that might come up right from your ultra feather weight, water-proof wrist band.

This is awesome (I must be missing something because this is huge props to Samsung and Sony).

To clarify, the phone form Samsung has built-in cellular...it makes and receives calls on its own, no bluetooth/tethered device required.

yes, 1) reviews…
sony one already has been reviewed as sluggish :(
samsung one is fast enough, but hugeee screen :(
battery life still pending…
2) ridiculous pricing for plastic band watches IMO
3) have to wait and see what apple brings, might be even better.
4) props should be given to google new watch android OS

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Thanks for an informative and logical discussion.:rolleyes:

It's impossible to have a logical discussion with someone who thinks Apple not doing anything is inspiring other companies. This is just where tech is going (ie. displays are getting smaller, radio chips are getting smaller, screens are becoming more efficient etc.). Wearable tech is an obvious progression, not something eveyone is doing simply because of rumours Apple might be doing it. It would be happening regardless of Apple.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Sony, Samsumg, MS, they are all shaking. :D Showing their roadmap right before Apple's keynote.
I definitely understand Apple's secrecy :apple:

yup, if only we knew what the iphone 6 will look like... or have some idea of the internal components.

FYI . announcing a few products is not showing your roadmap.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Wow, and people were complaining about the iPhone 6 lens sticking out too much!

(Yes I know it's actually a separate camera. And like most other commenters, I don't see the point of a separate camera that hooks onto your phone. Just get a separate camera. There are lots of good, compact ones out there)

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Love Sony TV's, just upgraded to one of their top of the line models (1080, not 4k) a few months back and it is fantastic. They are also killing it with their cameras and sensor technology. I'm getting ready to purchase the RX100 iii as a backup to my DSLR. Not interested in their phones though, unfortunately as they are tied to Android.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I start to wonder if this is part of Apple's plan. All these companies rush to produce the products they think Apple is working on -- smart watches, new phones, tablets -- and Apple lets them stoke the fires. Samsung, Sony ... they all create buzz for those products. The smart watches are a new category and the general public would normally be unaware of it except for all these products hitting the market now. The public becomes interested in them -- and then Apple performs its usual coup by releasing its own version at the right time.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?

EDIT: apparently I didn't understand... It IS a camera... But again... I don't see anyone buying it...

Well, I'm interested, but waiting on reviews of quality. I'm a bit disappointed, early info says that it's the sensor from the a5000 camera, not the newer a5100/a6000. Also disappointing is the price - only $50 less than an a5000 with a lens, for just the body of the QX1.

The prior 'bodyless cameras' Sony Released (the QX10 and QX100, along with the new QX30 released today,) didn't interest me. They were just highish-end compact cameras that you use your phone as the display. While zoom is nice, modern phones have good enough cameras (minus zoom) to replace what I would want a compact camera for.

But the QX1 replaceable-lens... That hits a sweet spot for me. I haven't had a replaceable-lens camera since I ditched my Canon AE-1 for my first digital camera in 1999. And I've waffled between "high-end fixed-lens prosumer" and "thin-and-light" digital cameras since. I've always like the small nature of digitals - even my high-end prosumer cameras have been much smaller than an SLR. So when the mirrorless replaceable-lens cameras came out, I was interested. But I had just bought the latest in my line of "high-end prosumer" cameras, so wasn't in the market. Well, I'm just about ready to take the plunge.

The iPhone's camera has become good enough to completely replace any desire for a "thin and light" camera, so it's between a high-end fixed-lens or a mid-range mirrorless. And, really, I'm going to carry my phone with me no matter what, so why not minimize the size of the 'camera' by getting rid of the big screen - and use the better screen on my phone? This means I can basically just carry this with a good zoom lens attached as in the SLR days I would carry a zoom lens. Don't have to think about the camera itself as much, just slap it on the phone I've already been using for pictures.

Again, this doesn't look quite as good as when its existence was leaked - a bit on the expensive side, with a previous-gen sensor. So I may or may not get it. I may just go for the full-camera a5100 instead. But if they had used the a5100 sensor instead of the a5000 sensor, I would definitely go for this instead. With the a5100 sensor, I'd even pay MORE, since the a5100 alone costs $550.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
SONY is dead.
Sorry to say, I used to be a huge fan of their stuff, their TV's and walkman and a bunch of other cool stuff but they lost their step and never regained it back. They are a walking dead company.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
So the watch was inspired by the Apple rumor and had nothing to do with the Pebble watch craze on Kickstarter? And the band was inspired by the Apple rumor and had nothing to do with successful products like Fitbit, Nike Fuel Band, etc.?

But somehow Apple's 5.5" phone is not copying or following the Galaxy Note line that was mocked by Apple and fans upon release, but has become one of the most successful electronic product categories...

Ya I get that but two formerly high flying companies, Nokia and Blackberry (and Microsoft to a lesser extent) didn't pay enough attention and suffered the consequences. Google and Samsung payed close attention and are reaping the rewards. Resting on laurels is not an option in tech world - anyone who stops to take a breath is gonna die. Even Apple keeps trying to laurel rest and they're gonna get creamed too if they don't start running fast again. No breathing!!!!

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
It's impossible to have a logical discussion with someone who thinks Apple not doing anything is inspiring other companies. This is just where tech is going (ie. displays are getting smaller, radio chips are getting smaller, screens are becoming more efficient etc.). Wearable tech is an obvious progression, not something eveyone is doing simply because of rumours Apple might be doing it. It would be happening regardless of Apple.

Right. The key word here is "direction". Before the iPhone, almost everyone we're going with "black berry smartphone style", which had a tiny touch screen and physical keyboard , even when touch screen technology was available at any size. Then Apple made a large touch screen and virtual keyboard and suddenly everyone started going with that direction.

The same is happening with wearable. Everyone is trying to jam a mobile OS into a tiny screen, which we're not sure if Apple is doing the same. However, with recent news of health experts being hired by Apple and rumors of Apple might includes health sensors in the iWatch. Suddenly newer smart watches are starting to have health sensors. That is inspired by Apple.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
SONY is dead.
Sorry to say, I used to be a huge fan of their stuff, their TV's and walkman and a bunch of other cool stuff but they lost their step and never regained it back. They are a walking dead company.

Well d@mn, I'm convinced!. I thought they'd make it, but the facts you've presented clearly indicate they will not be around much longer.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
If the actual iPhone 6 is really as ugly as the recent leaks,I might consider buying than Sony Z3 phone.
;)

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
SONY is dead.

No they are not dead,agree they are not as great as used to be,and they have lost the market to competitors on many products including TVs,stereos,etc but they still make some of the very best DSLR cameras,high end compact cameras,and both professional and high end compact video cameras.plus their gaming business and PS4 is printing money.
So if you call that dead,you have no clue.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Incredible how what a company (Apple) might do can inspire others to actually do... And then Apple picks the best of what others did and does it. That is one weird feeding chain right there!

Erm??? Sony has been making mobile phones for a hell of a lot longer then Apple, fact! Not sure what they have inspired them to do? Sony had touchscreen smartphones before the iPhone for instance.

Also the Android watch is the THIRD model from Sony over recent years thus proving Apple has not caused manufacturers to make them, it is where the market was going regardless.

Sony is also unique though as it has a very impressive camera division to call on, hence why their phone cameras are amongst the best, plus the camera clip on devices that will kick the snott out of any smartphone camera.

The only thing Apple has inspired are tablets, then again Sony has been making them for a while too. I think all the Z3 devices having Playstation 4 remote play as standard is pretty special.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Right. The key word here is "direction". Before the iPhone, almost everyone we're going with "black berry smartphone style", which had a tiny touch screen and physical keyboard , even when touch screen technology was available at any size. Then Apple made a large touch screen and virtual keyboard and suddenly everyone started going with that direction.

The same is happening with wearable. Everyone is trying to jam a mobile OS into a tiny screen, which we're not sure if Apple is doing the same. However, with recent news of health experts being hired by Apple and rumors of Apple might includes health sensors in the iWatch. Suddenly newer smart watches are starting to have health sensors. That is inspired by Apple.

hmmm...

iPhone 1 launched 2007

done-apple-iphone-1.jpg

Sony Ericsson P800 launched in 2002:

p800a.jpg

Sony Ericsson P900 launched 2003:

02.jpg

Sony Ericsson P910 launched 2004:

1320646413_276887757_1-Pictures-of--Sony-Ericsson-P910i_11660.jpg

Yeah, they all look so much like 'Blackberry' handsets :rolleyes:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Sony, Samsumg, MS, they are all shaking. :D Showing their roadmap right before Apple's keynote.
I definitely understand Apple's secrecy :apple:

Actually it's pretty funny, you see it is APPLE who is shaking and desperate, for this week is the IFA show which is a MASSIVE Consumer Electronics Show in Berlin, this takes place every year around the same time, Sony aren't exactly able to tell them WHEN to host the event to avoid Apple :rolleyes:

No, if you had any sense then you would realise Apple has deliberately set it's iPhone announcement to impact the IFA show, because it knows it will not get as much attention otherwise, then again as they are only launching bigger screened iPhones all they are doing is catching up with 2011 anyway.

Glibglob

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
Sony coming back?

They used to be the kings of the tech world -- what happened to them? It's good to know there's still life in them yet with these...interesting...products.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
hmmm...

iPhone 1 launched 2007

Sony Ericsson P800 launched in 2002:

Sony Ericsson P900 launched 2003:

Sony Ericsson P910 launched 2004:

Yeah, they all look so much like 'Blackberry' handsets :rolleyes:

Agree. I was using full screen mobile devices 12+ years ago too. What Apple did was two things:

1. First to mass market with capacitive touch screen

Plus:

2. Pinch to zoom.

This combo blew EVERYONE who tried it away.

Apple's always excelled in UI and them putting above 1+2 together let them (briefly) win.

But like in the 90's, if they keep up with this proprietary BS they're gonna get creamed just like they (and Sony) got creamed back then. Sony seems capable of learning. Apple I'm not so sure.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
They used to be the kings of the tech world -- what happened to them? It's good to know there's still life in them yet with these...interesting...products.

They screwed up is what happened, they have always made great killer / interesting products but I don't know why, but they couldn't sell any. So I think over the last 3 years or so they have had a massive restructure, are leaving the PC business which is a shame as they made great looking computers I though, never copied Apple's design language for instance. And they have closed a few games development studios and closed various offices around the globe.

Sony INVENTED mobile music gadgets for Lords sake!

I think they are getting back on track, Kaz seems to know what he is doing, mind you Panasonic were in trouble too, but I think they too are on the road to recovery.

----------

Agree. I was using full screen mobile devices 12+ years ago too. What Apple did was two things:

1. First to mass market with capacitive touch screen

Plus:

2. Pinch to zoom.

This combo blew EVERYONE who tried it away.

Apple's always excelled in UI and them putting above 1+2 together let them (briefly) win.

But like in the 90's, if they keep up with this proprietary BS they're gonna get creamed just like they (and Sony) got creamed back then. Sony seems capable of learning. Apple I'm not so sure.

Yes, Sony have very clearly shown they have learnt their lessons, the HARD way! Looking at the PS4 they totally changed it's direction by making it incredibly developer friendly, the total opposite to the PS3.

Sony is one of those brands you don't want to see vanish, same as Panasonic really, so many innovations over the years from them.
But agree on Sony ditching it's proprietary rubbish like it's memory cards, although the PSVita is STILL guilty of that :rolleyes: and it's connectors. All these new devices have USB ports as well as those special charging docks, best of both worlds.
As for Apple, well not sure, it has firmly stuck two fat fingers up at any legislation stating it could not use proprietary connections etc, like the EU. So I can't see them changing anytime soon? But it doesn't seem to be hurting them yet, far from it, I can only imagine the yearly profit they make on it's non upgradable iOS device storage, and everyone else seems to have accepted their standards and have adapted to it, like docks etc. Hopefully it will bite them hard one day, then they may put SD card slots in their devices.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Once you start thinking of getting that add-on lens, it's time to get an advanced point and shoot and call it a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.