Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I have the XM4's and the AirPods Max. I very rarely use the AirPods Max. I was gifted them, so I can't sell them unfortunately. For me the Sony's are much better. The kinds of sounds their ANC block (like keyboard clicks), are preferable to me. I much prefer the fuller bass, the weight, and the way they grip my head. The AirPods Max grip unevenly making it feel like the bottoms aren't fully attached. They also give me a terrible headache if I wear them for more than an hour. All in all, a bit of a bummer. If I am in the market for anything else in the next few years I'll definitely be checking out the XM5's.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
This is probably my next. I have the XM4 and the weight alone is enough to sell it. So much quality for such a lightweight design is a no brainer. By comparison my Jabra 85h is too heavy. That's the only reason why I cannot consider the AirPods Max unfortunately.

Reactions: miq and brucemr

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
When Apple finally gets around to Lossless on AirPods Max 2 it’ll be a day worth waiting for. Noise cancellation tho on the Max is superior to AirPods Pro, I live in probably the nosiest downtown in Canada and can leave the thin windows open for air and still block out enough noise to focus on study/work.
For that to happen they would need to get away from Bluetooth. Even AirPlay 2 can only play lossless but not hi-res lossless.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I see they redesigned the headband a bit.

I love the XM’s, and have had an amazing experience with mine. The fit and comfort is perfect for me. They don’t squeeze my head to tight and they’re light enough where they’re not to fatiguing to wear for extended periods of time.

And the XM’s have outstanding protection with a zipper shell case that includes a mesh pocket inside. That’s always clutch when you purchase expensive headphones that have a durable case included to protect your investment.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I love my XM4's. Probably not worth the upgrade to go for the XM5's, but to me, they are a far better value than Air Pod Max's
I couldn’t agree more. I’d love to own AirPods Max but I just can’t justy the price when the XM4’s are so damn good for the price.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Waiting for some phones that deliver true Dolby Digital 5.1, not spatial audio that sometimes seems like 5.1, maybe.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I could be interested in these. The Apple AirPods Max puts too much pressure on my head. So maybe these Sony WH-1000XM5 could be great all day office headphones.
This was my issue with the AirPods Max -- the weight combined with the clamping force needed to keep them in place made them initially very uncomfortable.

I say "was" because after wearing them and getting used to it, I just don't notice anymore. I can wear them for hours on end now and the weight doesn't register the same way. (That probably speaks more to human adaptibility than the APM, which are objectively heavy.)

Reactions: blob.DK

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
For that to happen they would need to get away from Bluetooth. Even AirPlay 2 can only play lossless but not hi-res lossless.
And wifi (AirPlay) is way more power hungry than Bluetooth.

Personally, I think the obsession with "lossless" is very overblown. I guess it would be nice to have that last little tippy-top 2% of audiophile quality (if you can even tell)?

People get all fixated on lossless, but to my ears Spatial Audio is the big game changer here. On several occasions I've had to take my AirPods Max off to double check that the sound was coming from them instead of my MacBook's speakers, the effect can be so convincing. Knowing Sony, I'm sure they have a good version of this as well. Apple's Spatial Audio sounds weird as hell in some contexts (podcasts sound super weird) but it's incredible for movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGood@Usernames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.