Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
AirPods Studio will flush these into the toilet.

Ah I see, an intentionally provocative statement, thanks for playing. Especially since we buy AirPods for their great sound quality and not for the sheer convenience in use they provide.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This fail was the reason I own my Bose QuietComfort 35s. If I didn’t already own my QCs, I’d now buy these in a heartbeat.
I bought the XM3s because at the time my usage was such that the dual connection wasn't a feature I needed. Jump ahead to pandemic times and I'd use that feature multiple times every day. Oh well.

Reactions: Kabeyun

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Currently using the Beats Solo Pro because:
H1 chip - easy reliable multiple device switching, solid connection
over-ear - I find this better with glasses
hardware buttons
lightning charge port - so I can use the same iPhone cable
excellent microphone

I like the NC on these Sony headphones. I wait to compare them with the future Apple Studios.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Ah I see, an intentionally provocative statement, thanks for playing. Especially since we buy AirPods for their great sound quality and not for the sheer convenience in use they provide.
Yes, it was hyperbolic language, but I think you missed the point. AirPods Studio don’t exist yet. The rumor is that Apple’s working on headphones that provide the same connection management of the H1 chip but with audiophile quality sound, slotting in above Beats, and costing what these Sony’s cost.

Reactions: Y014951

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Regarding removable batteries ... when my Plantronics Backbeat Pros died (battery died after 2 years) I looked at buying headphones with a removable battery. My research lead me to the B&O H9i. I believe they're the only (mainstream) headphones with a replaceable battery. However, they're quite expensive. I can't remember now what made me rule them out as a replacement. I think there were a few comments along the lines of them not going very loud.

In the end I simply didn't replace the Backbeats as they work wired and I haven't been travelling much recently. I'm ready to buy now, though.

Right now, here in Switzerland, I can get the XM3s for Fr.200 or the XM4 for Fr.400. That's a huge price differential. Fr.1 is approx. $1.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
already have these on order , multipoint like Bose was a big selling point, the XM3 were great but mic sucked for calls and no multipoint but the XM4 address these and more.

I wish the apple ones would come out so I can compare them since I have 30 day return but doput that will happen.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
IMO, the Bose QC35 are the best headphone design out there. Bose should return to that...(as I said, imo)
I do love everything about them, right down to the case. Very thoughtfully designed earpieces, particularly. The Bose app works well, too. I do think there’s room for better ANC, which I read gives Sony the edge. Glad Bose, a pioneer in ANC, now has competition is that regard.

Reactions: I7guy

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I bought airpod few hours ago..

First to the bluetooth era

1. sony sport earphone -- broken after forget to put out of trouser.
** Good earphone but kinda shock even dry few month also not work..

2. redmi airdot -- left and right couldn't match so upon exercise i wear one only since headache to match

3. apple airpod -- maybe one year after review.

My journey to bluetooth maybe not fanboi style but when time come i have to buy the eco system even don't want too.

** Don't tell my journey earpod left side always broke once a year. :(
** Don't ask me to buy those senheizer, whatever over price .. I just wear for normal use not so pro pro on music. Just walking breeze 5km each day or hear music on work time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, it was hyperbolic language, but I think you missed the point. AirPods Studio don’t exist yet. The rumor is that Apple’s working on headphones that provide the same connection management of the H1 chip but with audiophile quality sound, slotting in above Beats, and costing what these Sony’s cost.

Oh I’m aware of the rumor. Let the product arrive and let’s form an opinion based on facts rather than the childish “x will destroy z” conversation made up from hot air.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
"some subtle tweaks to the hinges to improve comfort"

This is the most important thing for me: can it now approach the comfort of the Bose QC35?

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
The last gen x3 never went loud enough for me, yeah nc was great but I like loudness

Maybe you have a defective pair, I can't even put mine at half volume without almost blowing my eardrums.

Picked up the M3 for less than $200 a few weeks ago after owning my Bose QC 35 for the last 4 years. The M3 are on a different level, superior sound quality. I still use the Bose for conference calls when working from home as the call quality on the M3 sucks.

ronnyB

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
Look like a "Xerox copy" of the beats. Sony spends less on R&D than Apple spends on toilet paper at their offices. flattery but, y bother with these; get the original apple/beats.

spezaled

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
I'll be interested to compare them to Bowers and Wilkins PX7's which IMHO are the best in class so far.
I had the PX7's and the M3s, but I felt the Sonys were better and ended up selling my PX7s. The PX7s are fantastic but they sounded more muddy to me. I felt Sony edged them out a bit.

Reactions: Mlbkiwi

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I do love everything about them, right down to the case. Very thoughtfully designed earpieces, particularly. The Bose app works well, too. I do think there’s room for better ANC, which I read gives Sony the edge. Glad Bose, a pioneer in ANC, now has competition is that regard.
How loud are they? I’ve returned every pair of Bose headphones I’ve bought because they’re too quiet. I feel like I have to crank the volume to hear anything.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
So here is the game changer, what if the new Apple Pro Studio headphones had both Bluetooth and WIFI 6 for data transmission. If you had had WIFI you could have a larger audio file like SACD quality, you could walk around with only the limits to your WIFI router signal. Auto switching of devices like the Mac, iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch. And other cool stuff when you have 802.11AX and a A13 processor on a set of head phones. I think you are under estimating what Apple has in store for these new headphones. We will know soon what apple has in store!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.