Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Details of Sony's next-generation WH-1000XM5 headphones have been leaked, revealing a new design and more advanced specifications compared to the company's current premium offering.

sony-wh-1000xm5.jpg

When it comes to wireless noise-canceling audio, Sony's existing flagship WH-1000MX4 headphones are among the best on the market and arguably the biggest rival of AirPods Max, so what Sony has next up its sleeve naturally garners interest among Apple users.

According to an anonymous retail source who spoke to Germany-based TechnikNews, the successor to Sony's WH-1000XM4 will sport a redesign that includes thinner hinged arms connecting the earcups to a narrower headband, reminiscent of the Bose 700. This has also led to speculation that the redesigned headband is metal rather than plastic.

The ear cup padding appears to be more substantial, but Sony has seemingly ditched the collapsible foldaway mechanism that tucked one cup inside the other, although as The Verge notes, the case doesn't look likely to take up much more space when stowed away.

According to the retail source, the WH-1000XM5 will have a battery life of up to 40 hours with active noise cancelation on, which is 10 hours longer than the XM4's. Total charging time is said to be 3.5 hours over USB-C, which is about 30 minutes longer than the current generation.

The three microphones have reportedly been repositioned, and an NC/Ambient button replaces the "Custom" one found on the XM4's, although the button is likely to remain reprogrammable to activate voice assistants and the like. These cans are also said to have an additional ANC processor and a new sound driver, suggesting improved noise-canceling and sonics, but details are scant on that front.

techniknews_wh_1000xm5_leak.jpg

The release date of the XM5 headphones is still unknown, but they did appear in FCC documents a few months ago, so they're likely to arrive sometime this year. Until then, the $349 XM4's remain very popular with Apple users who are unhappy with the relative heaviness and high price of the $549 AirPods Max.

There are currently no rumors suggesting a new version of AirPods Max could come in the near future, yet it's worth noting that Apple reportedly removed several features from the originals like interchangeable headbands and a more affordable sport option, so these could always appear in a future model. Apple could also add support for lossless Apple Music playback, which would require a new audio protocol with higher bandwidth than Bluetooth provides.

Article Link: Sony WH-1000XM5 Headphones Leak Reveals New Design, Enhanced ANC, and Battery Life

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Wow, these look nice! Am I detecting a hint of "AirPods Max" design inspiration there?

I love my Sony XM4s, pretty near perfect headphones and I use them constantly. However, the proximity sensor (which detects whether you're wearing them or not) seems to have failed on my pair, leading to various annoying behaviours. Can't wait to try out these XM5s!

On the other hand, if Apple came out with a decent travel case for the AirPods Max, I'd certainly be tempted to get those instead. Sony's travel case is one of its best features!

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I just bought my XM4's about a month ago from Amazon (used) at a price I couldn't pass up. Thankfully if I decide to sell and upgrade to the XM5's I can probably get back nearly what I paid for them.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Doesn’t Sony have someone who works in advertising it come up with an actual product name?
This - the only Sony product I can think of that is named perfectly is the Playstation... Why not just drop the WH-1000 and name them XM5? That's pretty cool... I'm sure the marketing team can come up with a derivative for the earbuds. It's like they let the production teams name the products - it should be the marketing teams!!!

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Owning AirPods Max, Bose 700, 35, and Sony XM4s...those look really nice. If they got better nose cancellation

Also what do I use when?
Bose 700s - Bedside and mediation. No nonsense just put them on, and they pair fast.
AirPods Max - Work On Site. That said they weigh too much, but force me to take breaks when I take them off.
Sennheisers - Work Remote - External DAC and some high res love.
Sony XM4s - Travel - Use a portable Dragonfly DAC and it folds up nicely.
AirPods Pro - Workouts (non cardio) and Conference calls. They still fall out my ears. Maybe I didn't hit the analyst cut off to make these fit better.
PowerBeats - Workouts (cardio). Sorry when you're doing some yoga, I need something with clips.

Okay what you wanted to know: AirPods Max by a very slim margin are the best sounding to my ears, but the weight is kinda absurd.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I would gladly change my Beats Solo Pro for this SONY headphones, if (and it is a big if) they had the level of OS integration that my H1 Solo Pro have with macOS, iOS and iPadOS.

Quickly pairing my headphones and changing from my mac to my iPad using the same headphones is a great experience.

ostrykolesz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Poland
Hopefully the ANC is improved. I have the XM2's and the ANC was barely improved with the XM4's... Hopefully Sony will give me an excuse to upgrade.

StupidOpinion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2021
Owning AirPods Max, Bose 700, 35, and Sony XM4s...those look really nice. If they got better nose cancellation

Also what do I use when?
Bose 700s - Bedside and mediation. No nonsense just put them on, and they pair fast.
AirPods Max - Work On Site. That said they weigh too much, but force me to take breaks when I take them off.
Sennheisers - Work Remote - External DAC and some high res love.
Sony XM4s - Travel - Use a portable Dragonfly DAC and it folds up nicely.
AirPods Pro - Workouts (non cardio) and Conference calls. They still fall out my ears. Maybe I didn't hit the analyst cut off to make these fit better.
PowerBeats - Workouts (cardio). Sorry when you're doing some yoga, I need something with clips.

Okay what you wanted to know: AirPods Max by a very slim margin are the best sounding to my ears, but the weight is kinda absurd.
which sennheisers do you use? the Momentum 3 Wireless are typically better than the airpods max in terms of sounding

Reactions: KurtMann

Lasermoon

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2020
I had the Sony's WH-1000XM3 handed them down to my Daughter
Currently using the Sony's WH-1000XM4 with most of the gimmicks turned off
I will wait for the reviews on the WH-1000XM5 if the sound is improved my Son will be getting the WH-1000XM4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.