SOPA blackout

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Does anyone who runs a website plan on participating in the SOPA awareness blackout on Jan 18th? I think it's a great way to spread the word about the bill.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I am hoping MacRumors takes part in this, a site this big will really get noticed.

Comment

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Me too, although this sort of thing always seems pointless and ineffective to me.
Having Facebook and Wikipedia go dark will send a message and inform the uneducated masses that use these sites everyday.

Comment

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Having Facebook and Wikipedia go dark will send a message and inform the uneducated masses that use these sites everyday.
Add Google, Twitter, and Amazon to that list and I think the point would hit even harder. I really hope they all do it.

Comment

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
XDA Developers is participating.

Going to go 'dark' at 8 AM, and will come back online at 8 PM (Or if 50,000 users sign a pledge to contact their representatives).

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the more sites that participate the better. getting more people involved and raising awareness about this bill will only help in the long run.

Comment

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I doubt Facebook would want to lose a day's worth of gaming/ad revenue, but they might participate.
Facebook has already said that they are going dark.

Ok I guess they haven't made an official statement on what they are doing.

Comment

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009

I like the stand Razer is taking. I provided the pixilated version not to upset anybody. However I'm sure you get the point.. :D

Comment

Diadems

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Just posted this on Facebook, thought I'd share here!

I thought the Wikipedia blackout would be a bit more fun than just some JavaScript overlay. If you *really* need to use Wikipedia today, do the following:

On Safari: Install the JavaScript Blacklist extension, add en.wikipedia.org to your blacklisted domains in Preferences > Extensions > JavaScript Blacklist

On Chrome: In preferences, go Under the Hood > Privacy > Content Settings... > JavaScript > Manage Exceptions... > add en.wikipedia.org under hostname pattern with behavior set to block.

On Firefox: Install the NoScript extension, make sure en.wikipedia.org is forbidden when you visit.

That's all folks! But really - stop SOPA!

Comment

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i doubt that zuckerberg guy would care. as you can see, one site has class the other doesn't.

on another note, i think sites going blackout is a good thing, but not everybody on the same day (please).

Comment

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
i doubt that zuckerberg guy would care. as you can see, one site has class the other doesn't.

on another note, i think sites going blackout is a good thing, but not everybody on the same day (please).
Well according to http://sopastrike.com/ 90% of the websites listed as going "black" just have some banner at the top. The usual money making stuff is still on most of those sites.

Comment

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
8am and I've already had a difficult time without use of wikipedia. You just try researching precious metals without having a bunch of websites trying to sell it to you.

I'm in full support of this SOPA blackout and my little search-without-wikipedia issue this morning is a great example of major websites having quite a big reach to spread the word. I wish more of them would join in today.

P.S. I like the GIF The Oatmeal made about SOPA:

http://theoatmeal.com/sopa

Comment

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
BTW if you guys need to desperately use Wikipedia, just press escape before it finishes loading.

That saved me this morning, lol.

I'm in full support of this though. With all of this support though, I really doubt that this SOPA thing will happen. I'm surprised the AT&T/T-mobile merger was killed (i thought it would go through) and that didn't nearly (in my opinion) have as much attention as this.

Last edited:
Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Wikipedia on my iPhone, work on my iMac. Can't skip a day because others can.

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I thought the Wikipedia blackout would be a bit more fun than just some JavaScript overlay. If you *really* need to use Wikipedia today, do the following:

On Safari: Install the JavaScript Blacklist extension, add en.wikipedia.org to your blacklisted domains in Preferences > Extensions > JavaScript Blacklist
Thanks for this tip. Worked perfectly.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.