Sorry iPhone but I have to leave you

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petvas, Feb 21, 2009.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Before you start flaming me, I just want to say that I believe that the iPhone is the most revolutionary device ever made and it will be always be ahead of its competition.

Having said that there are some things that I have been trying to avoid but can't seem to be able to manage that:
    • The performance of my iPhone in areas where the signal is weak or even non existent. Almost everything on the iPhone is slower in such cases. When I sit in the train and want to use my iPhone, the device behaves really slow and hangs a lot. Turning on flight mode solves the issue...
    • The PIM applications on the iPhone are really very weak. I want to be able to manage my digital life from my pda. This isn't really possible with the default applications. One could say, where is the problem? Just buy other PIMs for the iPhone...Apple has made that impossible. They deny access to the PIM Databases, thus making development of good PIMs like Pocket Informant very difficult, because these apps have to use other means of syncing the information (Google Cal for example). I want to be able to use Pocket Informant or Agenda One, being able to link contacts to tasks, appointments, assigning categories, using tasks (which the iPhone doesn't have by default). Nobody knows when Apple will allow access to the PIM databases of the iPhone
    • Notifications: I want to be notified when a task is due. Even downloading one of the million Task applications, this is just not possible...
    • Skype: Skype 2.5 for Windows Mobile just went gold...There is no equivalent for the iPhone, due to limitations set by Apple.
    • Mobile browsing: At the moment there are devices which use Mobile Opera and have a resolution of 800x480. The browsing experience is at least as good as on the iPhone plus the fact that you get the enhanced resolution.
    • Multitasking: Many times when I work on the iPhone I find it really frustrating because of the lack of multitasking between third party apps...I have a nice example for you:
      I want to lookup sth on 1Password in order to type it on Safari. I open 1Password, type my password and then I search for the info I need. Because Apple has made it almost impossible for developers to use and access a browser properly, many websites do not work correctly in 1Password. I lookup my password and then I have to exit 1Password, go to Safari and type my password. The problem is that if I forget the password while I am typing it, I have to go back to 1Password. Because the app was closed before (due to the lack of true multitasking), I have to type my password again, search for the info again, and then go to Safari, open the site again and type the password, hoping this time that I won't forget it! Of course that could be solved really easy...COPY PASTE....

Ok, and now what? I decided to get an HTC Touch HD as a mobile phone. I know, it uses Windows Mobile which more or less sucks, but it will give me the applications I really want to have.
    I can't completely give up on Apple though...so I ordered an iPod Touch! That way I am getting the best touch interface available, plus all the multimedia features of the iPod that noone can beat. The iPod touch is really a great device and I can't wait to get it.

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It's really hard to argue with your reasoning. Everything you said makes perfect sense. Most importantly, you state what you need out of a phone and the iPhone is just not cutting it for you. Nevertheless, you will get fanboys in here asking you why you decided to post this. Such is life...

Wait out for the Pre or go to the Android platform (it's really fantastic). Most likely, these will serve you much better.

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I posted because I think that forums are for sharing ideas, thoughts and listening to what the forum members have to say...

I really tried to convince myself that the iPhone is perfect but after 14 months of using it( I got the first iPhone the day it was available here in Germany and then moved to the 3G on July), I keep missing Pocket Informant. I know that Windows Mobile isn't technologically what the iPhone OS is, but I am willing to make that compromise.
    Please don't tell me that Pocket Informant is coming on the iPhone. I know...It will use Google and Toodledo for syncing....It can't access the default databases, meaning I cant use it since I have an Exchange Account...

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Wrong. AFAIK it is because it's just not done.

There is no apple limitation for these types of VOIP apps on wifi.

5. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

That's nice. (Except for the fact you have to run windows mobile.)

But skype is not being held up for the iphone versions due to Apple or 3G limitations. Everything I have read has said it's just taking a long time to finish.

7. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Not all devices can be all things to all people. But to address one of your concerns -- I believe that if you use Google Calendar as your scheduling system, it can SMS you when a scheduled event is due.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

sounds like the iphone is not for you, so good for you making the switch.

personally, I have never even thought of most of the things you list, but that's why choices are good - we can all find what works for us. :)

9. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Wow, although I welcome such posts, rarely do I see such sensible, respectable ones.

I hope you'll continue posting on the forums, and I hope you enjoy your new phone. The HTC touch is nice? Have you looked at the Magic? AKA The second google phone.

EDIT: Just noticed the awesome computer spec in your sig, so I presume you'll be around for a long time. :)

10. Turmoil macrumors regular

Good post. You gave excellent reasoning for your decision. I love MY iphone but 100% support your decision to move on.

11. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I would love to return to the iPhone when these limitations and issues have been solved. I am getting the iPod Touch because I know that nothing can beat its multimedia features. I want to listen to my iTunes music and watch videos on the iPod Touch and not on the HTC Touch, despite the fact that the latter offers a better resolution. The iTunes/Ipod integration works great for me...
    I don't mind having two devices all the time with me. I could even copy music to my HTC Touch if I wanted to.

12. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Like others, I am impressed by your post. Your requirements are reasonable, your decision is sensible. I love my iPhone, but some of the items you listed would certainly be welcome on the device.

13. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

oooooh that hurts, gotta do what you gotta do though :( :eek:

14. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

One thing that would make the iPhone a lot better and that is minimizing applications just like a normal Mac or PC would. Then it would give you the easy option to switch between tasks. Especially if the phone is mainly used by people who run businesses and use it for business purposes it would increase the iPhone sales dramatically.

With all the stuff petvas has mentioned and could be added or resolved, the iPhone would be much more superior than any other device out there.

15. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I think that the Iphone shows that it comes from a company that has its focus on consumers. I use my device for everything. Business and pleasure. Even managing my personal calendar is for me (coming from Windows Mobile with all great PIMs) difficult.
    I think I should send my post as direct feedback to Apple. Maybe if the voices multiply they will start listening.

UPDATE: I just did

16. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

OP: Thank you for a really high quality post.

17. Mackan macrumors 65816

How can it be all that revolutionary and always be ahead of everything else, when you bring up points that made you leave it, and buy another phone?

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just don't get it! Maybe it's me or maybe I really just don't get it; why would anyone want to be caught dead carrying TWO devices, when they can carry the iPhone by itself? :confused::eek::confused::D

19. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I expected that reaction :)

The iPhone in terms of design and interaction with the user is revolutionary. The OS is really great and it is much better than everything else. The lack of the features I mentioned before make me change.

20. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That's it, in a nutshell.
    I'm sure that worldwide, the average consumer vastly outweighs the power user, and it's why I consider the device to be a super consumption device, rather than a production/smartphone in the true sense.

21. rednano74 macrumors member

Good luck with the HTC Pro HD. I am sure it is a great little device from what I have seen online.

What I find funny in these forums is that so many fanboys bash WM platform and I bet more than half of them have never even used such. It's not that bad plus it provides functionality that the iPhone so much lacks which seems to be what you are looking for. The iPhone is a great toy IMO but is far from becoming a true smartphone for the typical business user. Some get caught up in the hype and have to learn the hard way.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Even when you talk about "business users" youbhave to be careful not to lump us all together. I have a work-issued blackberry curve, and my iPhone could easily do its job if IT would support it. The ONLY thing the bb has that I would miss is copy and paste. So put me down as a business user who prefers iPhone to bb even for business purposes.

23. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

and search...

24. OnceBitten macrumors member

The phone you are going to, freezes all the time you have to remove the battery to unfreeze it, I sold mine because of that good luck :)you will be back just like i did:)

25. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

We'll see about that! There is no device on the world that freezes all the time by default, only if there is a specific problem with it...I will say it again: The iPhone OS is superior and the user interface is really much better than everything else but the bottom line is what kind of applications a pda allows you to run and the HTC Touch allows me to have the apps I want. Its interface is not bad and on the stability front I do not expect major issues. I have been using many pocket pcs on the past and I know how they work..