Sources: Apple to Expand Crowded Eaton Centre Store in Toronto, More Evidence of Yonge-Bloor Flagship Emerges [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2019.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

Not sure if Bloor and Yonge is realistic since that's now occupied by Nordstroms.
    BTW, nice to see fellow Torontonians here. :)

2. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Oh, STC has become a very nice mall, I live not too far away, but Apple doesn't even seem to be sniffing at it. The Fairview Mall location is relatively close, too.

There's a good, large space on Queen closer to Spadina that Le Château recently moved out of. It doesn't have the convenience of the subway and PATH connection, though.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    It's the new tower going up on the southwest corner they're going into.

3. sidewaysdesign macrumors newbie

sidewaysdesign

A One Bloor West location would certainly be the most iconic location in Toronto, if not Canada.

However, I have my doubts about that location, especially with the Eaton Centre a few blocks down the street.

H&M made the mistake of opening one of their first Canadian stores right next door to One Bloor West, and had to close it in short order because despite how swanky it looked, the shoppers just weren't there for it. They actually do most of their purchasing in malls and H&M had to recalibrate their Canadian strategy. Then they relocated to ... the Eaton Centre.

H&M is obviously a different market from Apple. However, while Apple aims to be perceived as a luxury brand, they similarly need a broad retail base to sustain sufficient sales volume. Apple's bringing on Angela Ahrendts from Burberry was a savvy move that offered that mix of high-end appeal with mass-market availability. They should stick with that and not over-reach.

Maybe in the long run the gigantic condo tower atop the One Bloor West (plus a couple of other nearby towers nearing completion) will help lift foot-traffic, but the upper end of Downtown Yonge has been waning for years commercially, and there's currently little reason to pad about on that corner unless you live there or are a regular at high-end retailers such as Holt Renfrew, et al.

4. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Retail along that stretch of Yonge has been waning because so much of the streetfront retail space has been acquired and torn down to build condos. After this wave of construction finishes up and the retail spaces become available again things will likely pick up. Just without the old character of the neighbourhood.

Also Apple Stores tend to be destinations on their own, whereas H&M doesn't. H&M had excitement around it when it first entered the Canadian market, like UNIQLO does now, but it settled down into a normal brand within a year.

The biggest problem now is the decline in growth in hardware sales, which drives retail. Will such a big space be needed in 5 years?

5. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I mean, Toronto isn’t New York but we can certainly support two Apple Stores downtown, if not three. Queen to Bloor is still a significant distance within the downtown core. There are rumours in commercial retail circles about an Apple Store at The Well project developing at Spadina and Wellington near the booming King West neighbourhood.

6. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

How do they plan on getting rid of the stench of Fierce?

7. lunarworks macrumors 65816

You can say that for NHL teams as well. ;)

8. CanadianGuy macrumors member

CanadianGuy

Thank the gods.

They could make the store 10 times bigger there and it wouldn't be too big.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

They've been doing a good job with renovations lately. My local store went from this-

[​IMG]

To this-

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 12.30.11 PM.png

10. winglet69 macrumors member

winglet69

Oh, whew. Now maybe I can finally get my 512GB iPhone XS Max.

Only $2,258.87 CAD, HST included.

TOTALLY worth it.

:D

11. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Good to see Apple building new stuff .... to house their old stuff. And it does mean more space between product tables too. Nice.

12. slicecom macrumors 68020

Finally. Apple’s existing retail presence in the busiest mall in North America is absolutely pathetic.

13. anson42 macrumors 6502

I lived in Toronto when Eaton's was still the anchor for Eaton Center. Ok, "Centre". Been too long and I don't say "zed" any more either :D What took over the multi-level Eaton's space?

14. mechatak macrumors newbie

But why, Apple products are so expensive right now that all I see is people hanging around and not buying anything.

15. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Eaton Centre. Proper noun, dude.

Sears took over the spot after Eatons went out of business, and then Sears moved out about 4 or 5 years ago because they were a terrible fit for the location. They spent 18 months renovating it, and now it's a Nordstrom, with additional retail units below. The upper levels are all office space that Sears HQ stayed in until last year. I think RBC is taking that over now.

16. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

I visited the Jump+ at the STC and it looks like an Apple Store. Same setup with the long tables, devices on display, etc. With them at the STC I can't see an actual Apple Store opening up even as busy as the STC is these days since they've got a 3rd party doing the work for them.

17. ipedro, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I have further information.

Apple negotiated aesthetic rights to the common area in front of their store. What this means is that Apple can install their tree planters and trees in front of the store rather than Eaton Centre’s plantings and furnishes.

[​IMG]

Second: Apple’s new ground level space goes all the way to the western edge of the mall on to James Street. Currently, Abercrombie uses the back of their store for stock rooms. Apple might be looking ahead at a time when Old City Hall is redeveloped into the Museum of Toronto and James St is closed to traffic and becomes a pedestrian street or public square. Apple’s flagships have public plazas with seating, tables, and entertainment and other programming.

Finally, the biggest unknown is whether Apple will vacate their existing store. The space below the existing Apple Store matches the edge of the consolidated space where Apple is going. The south edge (Scotch & Soda) lines up with the second floor Apple Store. The northern edge of Abercrombie matches the edge of Lulu Lemon. Incidentally, Lulu Lemon has also been confirmed to be vacating its space. Ann Taylor is the only remaining space in between. If we find out that that store is closing as well, then there’s a very good case to to be made that Apple Eaton Centre will be a two story flagship.

[​IMG]

18. avanpelt macrumors 68030

It sounds like this is a much needed move. Looking at the picture of the store, it's hard to believe that the downtown core of a major metro area like Toronto is still being served by a store that small.

19. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

I can't imagine them vacating the upper floor, as the lower one where S&S is is quite dark.

20. lunarworks macrumors 65816

The corridor leading to the public washrooms, between Ann Taylor and lululemon, will be quite the obstacle for consolidating those stores, and require some serious reconfiguration of the space.

21. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Not in that specific segment. It’s wide open to the atrium above.

Aside from that, new style Apple Stores are very bright in of themselves. The entire ceiling is one big light.

It’ll probably look a lot like this.

[​IMG]

22. nordique macrumors 65816

Didn’t know the busiest mall in North America was in Canada. That’s pretty cool!

23. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

TIL that Abercrombie is still in business.lol

24. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

There are several precedents of the Eaton Centre relocating service hallways to consolidate spaces for stores. In fact, that exact hallway was created when Sephora (which has since moved) was built. Most likely, Lulu Lemon would merge into the space and the hallway would wrap around on its other side.

25. caskin8a macrumors member

Maybe afterwards they can do something about their Canadian prices!