Sources: Apple to Expand Crowded Eaton Centre Store in Toronto, More Evidence of Yonge-Bloor Flagship Emerges [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2019.

1. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Wow this is yet another reference to the Apple Store smelling like a locker room or similar. How is that possible? With all the clean lines and lack of clutter surely they must clean the store? Is the ventilation poor?

2. lunarworks macrumors 65816

It's basically misanthropic hyperbole.

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Oh my goodness you’ve had some coffee haven’t you! I’m waiting for mine to take effect. I had a late breakfast due to actually arranging to eat with someone this morning. I had to sit there and wait for my brain to process those multisyllabic words. :D

So if I may ask yet another question to dispel my ignorance of this region, what is prompting this misanthropic hyperbole from so many commentators?

Most other remarks make it seem like a really interesting place to visit. I’ve not seen many cities. I’ve seen part of Tokyo in passing to meet a cousin. I was there only long enough to get an impression of incredible humidity and air pollution in the summer circa 1978.

I’ve seen New York City for a day, Washington DC and Baltimore several times, but only for part of a day each time. I saw Philadelphia a lot when I was 5 before my grandparents moved to the country. That’s all I can recall at the moment.

Oh yeah I had a few hours of wandering around Las Vegas back when they tried to make it more family friendly before giving that up as a lost cause. :p I have also been to Los Angeles several times but that is so sprawling. It hardly feels like visiting a city in the way visiting other cities does.

Anyway, I’m very intrigued by this thread. I do wish I could travel more, but my time is now consumed with elder care and sadly my own heath is failing me at a rate then when I eventually have the time again, I won’t be physically up for much travel. So I love when a thread like this comes up and people chat about their cities and towns.

4. iop macrumors regular

You don’t say”zed”? How dare you! No maple syrup for you!

5. lunarworks macrumors 65816

It's simply because the store is always crowded, and people are either bitter that we've been stuck with such a tiny location for so long for such a big city, or they're generally repulsed by crowds. (Your typical "keyboard warrior".) I visit the store almost every time I go to that mall, and I can't say it's smelled any worse than your typical shop in a well-kept mall. The real odour is down in a subway car... or EB Games.

As for the city itself? It's a great place to live, if a bit expensive these days. The downtown area is very walkable, and if you know the neighbourhoods you can walk for hours without passing through any real boring stretches. It's also the most diverse city in the world, according to the BBC, so you can find any kind of food. There's a large amount of art and culture, although it can be hidden because our tourism was never really based on it.

I hope you get to travel more at some point. I love to travel, but I haven't been able to in recent years due to my terrible financial situation. Once I get a car again, I'm off on a big road trip somewhere.

6. anson42 macrumors 6502

Haha. When I first moved to the dark side, you should have seen the looks on faces when I uttered "zed" in any context. So it was pretty easy to lose. I grew up in CA when cars like the zed-24 and zed-28 were popular and left soon after the zed-3 was introduced, but now that just sounds foreign :p I still spell words like "colour" with a u though. Some habits don't go away easily!

7. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

"Most of the time" is an exaggeration but there have been times in the summer where the AC couldn't keep up with how busy the store was. It's definitely too small of a store to meet the demand of the entire downtown of the fourth largest city in North America. There are stores in the outer part of the city but the downtown population is booming, as is employment in the core. People need a nearby Apple Store to go to.

I wouldn't be surprised if the size of the store quadruples, not doubles. I'm looking at whether Apple is vacating their existing store and if an apparent consolidation of spaces adjacent to it and below it might be for a 2 story flagship store within the mall.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Oh I do hope you get to travel. When I was young I didn’t have the money or the vacation time allotted.

Wow your post and that of @ipedro and others makes me really want to visit this vibrant city. I do get to experience a lot of congenial diversity where I live (and the wonderful variety of restaurants and cultural celebrations that go along with that) but not the “city vibe”. I love to walk and it would be lovely to visit a city that facilitates that.

9. Defthand macrumors 6502a

apple-store-toronto-eaton-centre.jpg

shutterstock_5886285bb.jpg

Lacks the same warmth and earthly familiarity as a Stanley Kubrick set.

10. ipedro, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Just like Apple hardware that is simply a clean vessel for its software, Apple Stores are filled with people who add the colour and energy to the space.

11. Defthand macrumors 6502a

The crowds and “energy” in an Apple store aren’t much different than a DMV’s. Most people are there to get help with an issue.

12. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Yeah it’s Mapleview Mall. I have family in Hamilton, when I visited I popped into the Apple store there for help trying to get a SIM card that I could use in Canada. It’s very small store though, not much space.

13. obitow macrumors member

obitow

Hope this is true. Canadian Apple Stores have been a disapointment so far.