Sources: Apple to Expand Crowded Eaton Centre Store in Toronto, More Evidence of Yonge-Bloor Flagship Emerges [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2019.

1. lunarworks macrumors 65816

It's got two subway stations, is two stops away from a major regional transit hub, is connected to an underground tunnel system to avoid harsh winter weather, and is surrounded by some of the busiest foot traffic in the country. That's a favourable and fairly uncommon combination for an urban mall.

2. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

I worked as a stock associate for Abercrombie & Fitch in 2004. I was in college. 18 years old. Best times of my life.

3. hybrid_x macrumors regular

hybrid_x

Yup, it's Mapleview. Nice store, not too busy. About the same size as the Eaton Centre store if I recall.

The Eaton Centre store is tiny, and always insanely busy. A second downtown store would be a huge asset. They really need one in the east end as well. Scarborough Town Centre would be fantastic, as would Fairview Mall, both having subway AND highway access. If you live downtown, TEC is the only store easily accessible. Yorkdale, Square One, Sherway, and Markville are all way out of the way.

4. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Fairview Mall has had one for quite a while now.

5. PJL500 macrumors regular

Xiaomi, Samsung, google phones etc will very soon need to be sold at these stores to make business sense.

6. diego macrumors regular

diego

This is so awesome. Having an outdoor facing entrance would make so much sense, especially there! There is already significant foot traffic along James Street and from an urbanistic point of view, having outdoor facing units is always better than just interior. Malls are being transformed everywhere from fully enclosed to being more integrated to their surroundings. Thanks for the info!

7. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

Well, time to raise prices again. Pay for all this rent and construction ;)

8. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Nordstrom is on the opposite side at the South East corner. This is at the base of the new tower being built on the South West corner.

9. anson42 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the update! Need to make my way back for a visit.

10. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

One of the reason why I hate stepping foot into an Apple store, especially the Eaton's Centre location. So much cringe.

11. MrJeffreyGee macrumors regular

MrJeffreyGee

I've been in this store. It'll be interesting to see it after the change. This will be my first Apple store that I've been to before and after a change.

12. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Everything old is new again.

When I was a little kid, I sadly watched all my favorite open air shopping plazas get converted into shopping malls to compete with the new malls being built in the 80’s. I finally became fond of those malls, but the ones that weren’t turned into Walmarts and Home Depots are being turned back into open air plazas.

All the Millennials and younger think this kind of open air plaza shopping is so new and trendy and I just marvel at how familiar it all seems.

However, it is a bit new to have residences mixed in among the shopping in some of these places. That’s an interesting modern touch. I prefer country living so I couldn’t live like that myself, but I can see how it would be appealing to outgoing, energetic people.

13. LondSteve macrumors newbie

LondSteve

Open air shopping seems like a great idea until it's -40 Celsius out....

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Lol! True. But I do have fond memories of my mom and I dashing into her favorite clothing store to get out of the rain or a freezing wind.

About forty minutes from my house there's an open air shopping district. It's actually called a mixed use development and they have an outdoor ice rink fairly centrally located that adds some festive seasonal cheer among all the shopping. It's taken down in the warm months and considering that we are technically a southern US state, I am impressed they make the effort. We usually don't get very long to enjoy it.

15. Zenithal macrumors 603

That is a very nicely designed shopping center.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I have fond memories of doing this with my parents when I was a wee little child, too. It isn't fun when you're older! Thankfully we had a "warm" winter here even for this part of the state. High 40s beats the mid-low 30s from last winter. Or that prickly feeling once you leave a store that was set to 78*.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I think New York does this, too. They setup a temporary rink during the winter in front of Radio City Music Hall or whatever they call it.

16. lunarworks macrumors 65816

That's Rockefeller Center. It's a beautiful and absolutely iconic rink, I've been there and seen it.

We've got a similar rink in front of City Hall, right by the Eaton Centre. It even caught the eye of Japanese animators.

[​IMG]

17. Zenithal macrumors 603

Yes! I wasn't sure but thought I had it right because it sounded "right." Thanks for the correction!

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

Everyone wants a big slice: the bigger the store, the better we will be.. There is just no other way to say it.

19. satchmo macrumors 68000

It is nice. However, Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto and most Canadian outdoor rinks, have free admission.

20. trekkie604 macrumors 68000

trekkie604

It's still there and as small and packed as ever. Smells like dirty socks most of the time too...

21. Mars56 Suspended

uncool during the holiday season .. avoid!!!

22. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

This sure isn't a quick process. My closest store has been closed about 8 months now for these renovations, with no mention of when it might reopen. Luckily there is another store not too far away.

23. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Please recall that 70% of the best stores’ inventory is still bezel stuff....

24. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Really? That big of an article about one store? Wow.

25. lunarworks macrumors 65816

There were lots of articles about that new one in Chicago, a city Toronto surpassed a few years ago. We've got this tiny one downtown that people having been waiting a long time for an upgrade on.