Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Space Black or Silver

• Space Black

• Silver

Results are only viewable after voting.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Who ever has brought a new MBP which colour did you go for and why?

I personally went with the classic silver again as any dust and so on will show up more, plus the coating is only on the lid and not the inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: KhunJay

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I just ordered one in Space Black. I'm going to put a skin on it to help with fingerprints. Now I need to look for a suitable equivalent for Bestskinsever skins as they went out of business.

Reactions: David1986H

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Space black, despite preferring the silver, which I esp. love against the black keyboard tray. Functionally silver glares a bit too much for me from bright overhead lights or outside on a sunny day. I always notice it in the store or when I borrow someone else's.

AFA the coating discoloring, it definitely was an issue for me on earlier space grey MBPs (ie. palm wrests) but hasn't been an issue on my M1 so I'm comfortable with the choice.

Happy to see there's a number of silver supporters, would hate to see space black everywhere.

Last edited:

akerns429

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
Silver all the way. Sure, the space black looks "cool", but silver is just classic Apple. Plus I like the contrast of the Apple Logo with the silver.

I've had my M1 Pro Silver for a good 3 years and compared to the Space Gray Intel MacBook Pro I had, the palm rests look as good as new.

With the Space gray, I noticed it would wear where you rest your palm, I assume the Space Black would do the same. Plus the darker colors show dust so much more than silver.

Picking up my 14" M3 Pro in Silver on Tuesday, can't wait!

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I ordered Space Black. I love the look of the silver but find the brightness distracts from the screen too much, maybe because of my old eyes.

Reactions: tekksan

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Space Black. I wish they didn't limit space black to Hermes Watch too. Which is kinda ridiculous. But I'd like all my apple devices in Space black if I could have.

Reactions: likegadgets

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Space Black. I wish they didn't limit space black to Hermes Watch too. Which is kinda ridiculous. But I'd like all my apple devices in Space black if I could have.
I too ordered 16" Max space black. I had Space Black watches form the original until the 5 - then they stopped. I have a 7 in black Titanium, however the one I use the Ultra 2 and hope the come up with non Hermes space black and Ultra 2 in space black. Still have the original black metal link Apple bracelet I got with the 1st watch.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Leaning towards Space Black, although I think I’m going to have to see this in store to see how bad the fingerprint smudges get

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
It’s a semi-different black, but the 2006 or 2007 (?) era black macbook always looked really nice to me. I never got one back then, so now I’m looking forward to trying the new black. Hopefully it won’t get super fingerprinty.

Reactions: Burnincoco

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Silver all the way. Sure, the space black looks "cool", but silver is just classic Apple. Plus I like the contrast of the Apple Logo with the silver.

I've had my M1 Pro Silver for a good 3 years and compared to the Space Gray Intel MacBook Pro I had, the palm rests look as good as new.

With the Space gray, I noticed it would wear where you rest your palm, I assume the Space Black would do the same. Plus the darker colors show dust so much more than silver.

Picking up my 14" M3 Pro in Silver on Tuesday, can't wait!
Can I ask if the black keyboard tray has chipped at all with general usage?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I’d rather Space Gray, but if I was upgrading to an M3 Max chip today I’d go with Silver.

I think fingerprints would annoy me too much on the Space Black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.