Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Space Black or Silver

• Space Black

• Silver

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
Here is black and 2021 space gray with the gray iPad mini 6 in between. The color of iPad seems to be a blend of both. Took the photo of the black by window so you see how it changes in light and dark areas. But as the sun goes away the black looks darker than what you see here. I didn’t like the keyboard contrast with the aluminum color and now that I look at the space gray, I don’t fancy the contrast on it either. The black looks smoother and blended. I don’t like extreme contrasts on my items unless it’s a white car with tinted windows.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.jpeg
    IMG_0468.jpeg
    502.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0465.jpeg
    IMG_0465.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 377

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Ordered a maxed out Space Black. Cancelled the order four days later after visiting the Apple Store a second time and seeing the fingerprint smudge around the keyboard and trackpad. Ordered a silver one.
I saw Space black yesterday in local Apple store and in the store y ou can see a lot of marks and fingerprints , I really did not like it and the colour is not nice at all

• Haha
Reactions: madrigal77

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Here is black and 2021 space gray with the gray iPad mini 6 in between. The color of iPad seems to be a blend of both. Took the photo of the black by window so you see how it changes in light and dark areas. But as the sun goes away the black looks darker than what you see here. I didn’t like the keyboard contrast with the aluminum color and now that I look at the space gray, I don’t fancy the contrast on it either. The black looks smoother and blended. I don’t like extreme contrasts on my items unless it’s a white car with tinted windows.
Do you prefer your 14 or 16:)

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
space gray is not really an option?? And to all the comments black looks like Dell, I would say it's the opposite, the silver looks exactly like my HP silver machine! I think people are WAAAAYYYYYY over thinking it... lol
I agree. The black im typing on doesnt look like a dell. It looks like an Apple.
I like how the color blends into the whole laptop because I do focused isolated work ad dont like distraction visual or audio. This lets me sink into a flow focus. All the colors are fine and nobody will think you are using a Dell. I dont like the extreme contrast of black keyboard and silver. It always looked ugly to me.

Regarding fingerprints, I have lots of microfiber clothes and I use 91% rubbing alcohol to wipe my mice and keyboards weekly. You people dont clean the oil off your equipment that you touch with your filthy hands daily? Im not even a sweaty person.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
Do you prefer your 14 or 16:)
I pondered on this for a while and im not 100% sure. I also use the studio display half the time.

The 16" is nice because you can see a full page of a document in reasonable size text on one side and have notes open on other side. On the 14" the text will have to be smaller. But this may not matter because who needs to see the whole page at one anyways?

Another thing I noticed is if you have a program like iStat so you can see your cpu usage and network activity, this and your toolbar may clutter each other. On one app, my toolbar needs to go over the NOTCH and be on the other side of it cause all the FILE, EDIT etc things wont fit on the left side of the 14"

BUT I instantly felt that the 14" was the sporty model. You can prop it against your thighs and belly when knees are angled when on couch or in bed. This was not conformable on the 16" so it's not all about 14" being portable but also that you can sit with it in many positions for comfort.

I think that if you mainly use a laptop at home and on desk and don't use a monitor, you should go for the 16" but if you have something like an Apple Display and like to use a laptop in different positions in bed, couch, moving around the house and sometimes at the airport, the 14" is practical. I bought the Peak Design Travel backpack and it has a nice compartment for a bigger laptop and I didnt feel motivated to take the 16" along and instead took an iPad even though I dont like iPads. People will say they take their 16" places but I see this as a hassle. I was offered a gig where I would have to go to a celebrities home (you know who she is) and re-edit a video with her direction. In this case I wouldn't want a 14" and the 16" would have been the clearer choice. I got this 14" because I missed the comforts of the 12" I used to have but I also want only one machine and want the Max chip with more ram. So ask yourself, "Do I most use my laptop at home and on a desk or at work and on a desk." if so maybe get the 16"

Reactions: tekksan

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I pondered on this for a while and im not 100% sure. I also use the studio display half the time.

The 16" is nice because you can see a full page of a document in reasonable size text on one side and have notes open on other side. On the 14" the text will have to be smaller. But this may not matter because who needs to see the whole page at one anyways?

Another thing I noticed is if you have a program like iStat so you can see your cpu usage and network activity, this and your toolbar may clutter each other. On one app, my toolbar needs to go over the NOTCH and be on the other side of it cause all the FILE, EDIT etc things wont fit on the left side of the 14"

BUT I instantly felt that the 14" was the sporty model. You can prop it against your thighs and belly when knees are angled when on couch or in bed. This was not conformable on the 16" so it's not all about 14" being portable but also that you can sit with it in many positions for comfort.

I think that if you mainly use a laptop at home and on desk and don't use a monitor, you should go for the 16" but if you have something like an Apple Display and like to use a laptop in different positions in bed, couch, moving around the house and sometimes at the airport, the 14" is practical. I bought the Peak Design Travel backpack and it has a nice compartment for a bigger laptop and I didnt feel motivated to take the 16" along and instead took an iPad even though I dont like iPads. People will say they take their 16" places but I see this as a hassle. I was offered a gig where I would have to go to a celebrities home (you know who she is) and re-edit a video with her direction. In this case I wouldn't want a 14" and the 16" would have been the clearer choice. I got this 14" because I missed the comforts of the 12" I used to have but I also want only one machine and want the Max chip with more ram. So ask yourself, "Do I most use my laptop at home and on a desk or at work and on a desk." if so maybe get the 16"
Good feedback! This is my home machine. For work I have a pc with large monitor. So yes it’s for the recliner, couch, bed, table, travel occasionally. :)

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
Good feedback! This is my home machine. For work I have a pc with large monitor. So yes it’s for the recliner, couch, bed, table, travel occasionally. :)
Also Netflix movie at full volume sounds more dynamic where you can hear the little sounds in a more surround way. The 14" is just as loud but has this tinnier sound where im not quite getting this surround sound feeling and not hearing those little sounds and effects in a richer way.

Reactions: teralpar

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Also Netflix movie at full volume sounds more dynamic where you can hear the little sounds in a more surround way. The 14" is just as loud but has this tinnier sound where im not quite getting this surround sound feeling and not hearing those little sounds and effects in a richer way.
Tough one. Haha -

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I have the Space Black M3 Pro 14 and while I absolutely love the color, it doesn't hide fingerprints from my greasy Italian hands as well as I think Apple was attempting to portray. There have been brief moments where I kind of regret not going with the Silver. Then I look at mine, and those doubts pretty quickly fade away.

Reactions: kp98077 and tekksan

Appletoni

Suspended
Mar 26, 2021
Who ever has brought a new MBP which colour did you go for and why?

I personally went with the classic silver again as any dust and so on will show up more, plus the coating is only on the lid and not the inside.
The new MacBook Pro 16-inch M3 MAX silver stays cooler, when you use it outside. You will see also less fingerprints.

Of course silver can be improved too!!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
For me the black has definitely grown on me. At first I liked silver for ease of keeping clean. But black looks better to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.png
    IMG_0123.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 369

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
My silver MBP next to my space black MBP looks bigger and older. No way would I have ever switched from silver. I really disliked space grey and thought it looked cheap and very un Apple but I’m so glad I did. Space Black looks really nice especially with squared edges of the modern design. It makes the whole thing look sleeker and finer.

Reactions: kp98077

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
the fingerprint paranoia is overrated. Ive been using and eating with the space black for more than a week and I dont really notice any grease but when I look for it, it's not much different from my space gray. I have a habit of wiping the whole thing with a microfiber cloth and alcohol once a week cause the keys get greasy anyways. Unless you guys dont clean your bacteria and grease loaded keys. Black plastic keys show grease more than the metal would. I like the black cause it's not distracting. Nobody cares how you look with your laptop. What matters more is that you do work on it instead of procrastinating.

Reactions: dborja

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Now Apple users understand why people like their Lenovo laptops so much. All that is needed is a red joystick in the center of the keyboard and we will have come full circle 😂

Last edited:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Who ever has brought a new MBP which colour did you go for and why?

I personally went with the classic silver again as any dust and so on will show up more, plus the coating is only on the lid and not the inside.
I got the Space Black. I love the color and TBH the smudges don't bother me

Reactions: dborja
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.