Space Black SS Durability?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BullittMustang, Jan 7, 2017.

1. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

I purchased a Space Grey series 1 last week. I am now having second thoughts that I should have purchased the Space Black SS series 2. I am wondering how the black SS is holding up for everyone? Is it showing small scratches around the sides? I would imagine that the sapphire screen is more scratch resistant than the series 1, but I'm not sure about the black stainless steel. I'm not to concerned about built in GPS, I have my phone with me all the time anyway. I probably would like the 2X brighter screen for outdoor use.

Thanks for any input!

2. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Mine looks brand new and I work out with it daily.. I cycle, run and swim for activity and have bumped it up against a few door jams and cabinets... Looks new with no noticeable issue..

In my opinion the sapphire lens is a MUST have on a watch, especially a watch used for activity...

3. dooku77 macrumors member

dooku77

I had the S0 SB SS for about 10 months before I sold it like a fool and it looked brand new the day I sold it. No scratches of any kind on steel or crystal. I just purchased the SG version and do not like how cheap it feels for the price. Going to return it and try to order SS.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Those are my exact thoughts with the Sort version. If feels like a cheap toy when compared to the stainless model. The black stainless is completely under rated and it's such a beautiful Watch. Good choice going back to the stainless model.

OP, the black stainless I own is extremely durable with the diamond like carbon coating. I have zero damage.

5. dooku77 macrumors member

dooku77

After having Sapphire, Ion X does in fact feel like cheap plastic. The DLC coating is unmatched. It's the perfect watch/fitness companion IMO also. It's only weakness though is dropping it on concrete or tile flooring, but that's the rare occasion.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

When I first owned the Sport model when it debuted, I couldn't believe how easy it was to scratch the screen. I sold it immediately and upgraded to the stainless. I never looked back. It's pricey, but worth the added features with the 316 L stainless and sapphire.

7. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

Never had a problem with my First Generation Space Gray Sport. I like my new Space Black a lot!

8. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your replies. I'm still deciding what to do. I would really like the black ss but don't really want to spend another $300!
    I will make my decision soon.

9. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

10. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You're on the right path. Now Series 2 in stainless or black stainless? Both great great choices.

12. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

Refurb S0 Space Black models are available all over Amazon for ~$200. I ordered a 42mm and 1:1 link band for less than a Series 1.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Ah, the "Curse of the Gift Card" strikes again. :) I'm in the same boat: Gift cards to spend at Apple and BBY when I'd rather have it all at BBY (for the reward points!)

As for your upgrade strategy: BBY have watch sales intermittently, but the next one may be weeks or months away and that would take you outside your return window for the SG. So that wouldn't work. Your best bet might be to return your SG watch now, get your gift card back and just wait for a sale? Not ideal.

I was in a similar situation last year when I "impulse" bought a 38mm SS at BBY for a huge discount, but later decided I wanted 42mm SBSS Milanese instead - even though that model had just been released a month earlier and was NOT on sale.

Then when BBY unexpectedly did on a "one-day-only-sale" (or something like that) I jumped and did an exchange. Very happy with that decision. Got the watch I wanted and a good price.

It's all about luck and timing. Good luck.

14. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

I definitely want the SB! If I do it.

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

One thing I forgot to mention about durability. The SBSS milanese band can scratch the sapphire glass and the ceramic back. The watch case is immune (presumably because it's coated in the same material?)

I found that out the hard way. The scratches on the sapphire face are tiny and barely noticeable. I caused them by wrapping the band around the face while transporting the watch. Something I'll avoid in future. The scratches on the ceramic back are slightly more obvious (probably because they come into contact more often) but nobody sees them so I don't care. You have to look hard to notice.

This may all be moot, of course, because my experience relates to a S0 watch. For S2, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has modified the Milanese band to be "less scratchy". Maybe a clear coat over the top, or something? I'm not a materials scientist.

Bottom line (just for clarity): If I could exchange my "slightly scratched" S0 SBSS for full credit against any other brand new watch, I wouldn't.

16. richard371 macrumors 68000

SS all they way. Way more flexible with bands and you can always polish out minor scratches scuffs with a cape cod cloth. The black is not as flexible band wise and if you do manage to get a scratch you can't polish it out as steel is underneath.

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I own both the stainless and black stainless. You would surprised how many bands actually pair well with the the black stainless. Plenty of leather bands in a variety of colors and of course the link bands are a guarantee, along with sport band options. Once you own the Watch and mix and match, it's actually easier to pair than just trying to think about what would pair with the Watch without owning it.

18. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

19. JSway macrumors regular

I love how the Space Black seems to change hues with the band you pair it with. I paired with the Sport Black band for the first time yesterday, and for the first time, it looked black to me! I usually wear it with the Sea Blue Apple Leather Band.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. I mentioned that previously how the space black almost looks glossy black in some respects and then jet black depending on the lighting conditions. Pretty neat how it changes that way.

21. BrSuBo macrumors newbie

I had the SG aluminum originally for about a year. I took a plunge on a SB SS when I found one at a deal I couldn't pass up and it seems like an entirely different product. I will never go back. The bezel looks awesome and doesn't have any tiny scratches. The glass is completely scratch and scuff free. Love it

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The bezel blends in so well with the black stainless. When the black stainless was originally released, I actually was not interested in at all. Then after wearing one and seen one in person, I actually think it's nicer than the regular stainless steel.

23. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I got my Original SS Black when Apple Watch was just released. And now it still looks exactly the same like when it was new.

24. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to make my decision tomorrow. I am leaning towards exchanging my SG series 1 for the SB series 2.

25. clauzzz203 macrumors regular