Space Black SS owners - how is the DLC coating?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Starfox, May 15, 2015.

1. Starfox macrumors regular

Now that people are getting the first Space Black SS watches, has anybody attempted to test how strong the DLC coating is, even perhaps on a non-visible (bottom) part of the watch's body or the link bracelet?

2. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I'm interested to see how durable the coating is and if it feels like a texture.

3. Starfox thread starter macrumors regular

I never considered the how-it-feels part but yeah, that too. I'm mostly curious about scratches, since the standard SS watch seems to be getting a lot of microscratches with regular use fairly fast.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The bracelet has a slicker feel than I imagined. Surprisingly silky [over the brushed part]. The polished parts (case, buttons, sides of links) feel very smooth – glossy, if you can feel gloss. Like a hard lacquer, but with less drag. Incredibly smooth to the touch.

I've only had it since Monday evening, so way too early to even think about wear. I'm not all that active, and even when I was, I didn't have watch wear problems. My Seiko (bought in '91; wore for over ten years) with a link bracelet shows little wear, even on the gold plated parts. Just some light scratching on the clasp. Mineral glass still perfect. I'm not worried at all about sapphire.

5. mr.anthonyramos macrumors regular

mr.anthonyramos

It would be worth checking after a week or two how your watch will look like. Not sure if you have been following but I have had some issues with the coating. PLUS, I found out that this was not an isolated case but even the testing/try-out units at the apple stores has fading particularly on the inside of the band.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ss-space-black-coating-peeling.1889017/

6. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

Sigh...I was a bit negative on the whole experience getting one. I have some peeling issues as well, which appear to be dings in my opinion, against itself...and its flicked off. Probably going to bring it to Apple and have them look over it.

7. HussRainbow macrumors regular

HussRainbow

Had mine just over two weeks.... everything seems fine, although I wear the sport band with it for everyday wear, and swap out the link band for nicer occasions

8. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Had mine for exactly 12 hours. Even did like hussrainbow did and bought a sport band before it arrived. Ended up hitting the band on a concrete bench and put one tiny scratch in it. soab. threw some black metal paint on it with a fine artist brush, seems ok. obviously not as easy to fix as the polished SS links...

9. mrxloyd macrumors newbie

mrxloyd

hi whilst i was very excited to have received my 42 m sssb it went back last month after a week due to black coating coming of and at £945 i was not happy , still after a week and a bit they sent me a new watch , had that 13 days now , rang apple yesterday as coating is yet again coming of round strap , the thing is i only work at home and twice a day take the dog for a walk , i didn't ware it washing car or doing house work so i don't get why this has happened , and a few months down the line it will look **** , so today ups collected it , and a refund will follow , not getting another not worth the hastle .

10. netdoc66 macrumors regular

netdoc66

Had mine since Monday, 06/01/2015 at 6:54 P.M. No scratches, no peeling, no nothing. I've worn it in the shower, exercised in it and no problems. I guess I got a good one.

11. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

The reality of any forum is that unhappy customers are more vocal than happy ones. That's just life.

I love mine and it is still perfect after 3 weeks to the day. I use the link bracelet all the time, although I don't have a physical job so it's not at great risk.

12. JXShine macrumors 6502

JXShine

I don't know about the DLC coating, but one of the buttons on my band spontaneously fell off a few days ago. Unacceptable quality for the amount apple charges with this watch. IMG_1276.JPG

13. HeathH macrumors member

Had mine delivered 6/26, so almost a month of all day usage.

Finish has no texture, feels very smooth.

I don't have any other bands, only the link band that came with it. I wear it at work (mostly field work at construction sites), at the gym, and running. In my case, the watch and DLC coating have held up very well. I had a "scare" when the corner of my aluminum clipboard scraped the band accidentally. It left a large gray mark on the band. I wiped the band with my shirt and the aluminum wiped off with no marks.

I don't think you can actually compare the models that shipped to the early SSSB models they had in the display case. Mine looks nothing like those no matter what light I place it under, mine is much more black than gunmetal like the ones in the case at the store.

Purely circumstantial, but I followed the Space Black Shipping Status forum for a very long time. There was a very big delay in getting these models shipped and it seemed like many of the manufacturing issues occurred in the earlier models shipped. There was a very large batch shipped around the time mine was delivered and it seems like there have been less issues with these.

When done properly this type of coating is about as tough as it gets. No doubt Apple had a learning curve with this process. Very happy with my unit so far.