Space Black Stainless Steel vs Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by LostAggie, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LostAggie macrumors 6502

What are the pros and cons?

I like the Space Black but it seems harder to find matching bands with the appropriate matching buckle, etc...

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I don't like black watches - I think they look heavy on the wrist and stand out much more than the lighter colours. Like when someone wears black socks with shorts. The dark watch makes your arm look like it's been chopped.

If the Space Black is scratched you can't just buff it out like you can with the regular stainless one - it's a coating.

Most of the bands also have polished stainless connections so there's a definite clash between the two finishes.

3. LostAggie thread starter macrumors 6502

I do like black watches myself. I like them even more when you pair with a contrasting band.

4. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Agreed. And your band selection is very limited with the black watches as well.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, then your decision is made!

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

SS scratches, can be polished.
    Black SS has a coating that can be scratched so no buffing out scuffs.

I have no idea how durable the black ss is, because of the price point. Its hard in my case to justify such an expensive toy.

8. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

The both look great, but I prefer black. Then again, I like a lot of things "blacked out". My vehicles are black, my driveway is black, my wardrobe has a lot of black, our kitchen appliances are black, my cat is black and my house is black. Er, okay, well not the house actually. ;)

9. Enygmatic, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

I have the SBSS vesion, with the matching link bracelet... have had it since May; extremely durable finish. There are minimal "completely" matching bands for it, though there are 3rd party options. I love the look of this particular black watch - the subtlety of the black finish offsets the pronounced square display, and it's extremely versatile, from business dress and formal to casual to working out.

10. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

It's the same price...

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I've owned Space Black since day one, and I can tell you that it's extremely durable. It's still as pristine as the day I got it.

12. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Not when he got his... the SBSS version was only available with the matching link bracelet, for $1099 ($1187 w/tax).

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice, glad to hear that. The price point of that watch is such that I could not justify it, but it is a really sharp looking watch.

14. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

So far the SB Link has been extremely durable in daily use. Though mine has some very minor scratches on the bracelet they are almost impossible to to see unless you specifically look for them.

Whilst it is true that there are few bands you could match perfectly against the watch body I honestly don't feel the need to buy other ones - I like the black link so much.

To me, one of the beauties of the SB watch is that it blends into one uniform item when the screen is sleeping, rather than being a black slab on a silver watch.

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It ain't cheap, that's for sure.

16. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I find it interesting that they charge the same price for the bundled black sport band in standard SS or Space Black SS, but $100 extra for the Space Black link bracelet, even though the Space Black watch case itself also has the DLC coating.

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

I've had my SBSS for three months now and I have about 6 bands so far. There's lots of options for bands - just not as many from apple. There's more and more resellers (like clockworksynergy) that have matching black adapters and PVD coated black buckles/hardware. (and if they ever get their marketing pictures done and update the site, there will be another 40 bands that those with any colour of Apple Watch can select).

Next band I'll snag will be the red sport band - won't bother me that the stainless dimple is sticking out on the opposing side...it's barely noticeable).

18. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The only bands that don't "work" with the SB are the classic buckle(s) and milanese... if you don't like, or plan to buy, those bands, then get whichever color you like.

And there are third-party bands with black lugs if you really DO want leather.

19. Jal macrumors newbie

Jal

I really like the look of the black stainless steel and I wear a lot of black, but the regular stainless steel has more band options (from Apple, who make the best bands at the moment) and looks better with professional outfits. It also stands out – in a good, jewellery way. If you like the milanese loop band, there's no question which watch looks better with it.

20. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Also torn about this decision for my next watch. SS has versatility but something about that black link bracelet is so nice.

21. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I plan my on getting the black classic buckle for my SBSS watch. In my opinion they do go together well. The leather is black same as the watch body and the connectors and buckle are all SS. I don't see an issue at all with this combo.

22. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Same here with the Black SS since July, nothing from normal use can scratch it so far. I didn't torture my watch, but doesn't treat it like a baby either. I work with it, it bounce to the surrounding many times a day. So far, it looks like exactly the same from day 1.

23. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I understand that but the OP wants to know today not when he bought his... So it will be the same price if purchased today.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Same price only if you're getting it with the black sport band. The Space Black link bracelet is still $100 more than the standard SS counterpart.

25. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Yeah the black link band purchased sperate also cost more then the silver one, so why wouldn't the watch that it comes with? Also OP never mentioned the link band.