Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
I wonder how Space Grey looks like now, 3 months in (if you have had your phone for this long time).

I know that the SS on the Silver scratches easily (but it can also be polished off later on). The Space Grey with its PVD coating can also be scratched (and not later polished), but does it scratch easily?

I have read and seen many scratched Silver ones, but the only scratched Space Grey I've heard of is mostly demo units. Demo units may not represent a careful user.

I would like to know how your Space Grey looks like now, 3 months in. Have you been careful and not dropped it? Do you have it in a case (and what case?) or do you rock it naked?

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
My space grey X is absolutely fine. I have never dropped. I have a cheap clear case on it that i grabbed in a mall for like $8. The case is for scratched up but the phone is fine. But the frame is not too strong. like when removing the sim card with apple sim card removal tool, I accidentally missed the eject hole, and the sim tool scratched the frame with very force. It is not too deep or noticeable, unless I actually point it out.

Reactions: 0984573

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
My space grey X is absolutely fine. I have never dropped. I have a cheap clear case on it that i grabbed in a mall for like $8. The case is for scratched up but the phone is fine. But the frame is not too strong. like when removing the sim card with apple sim card removal tool, I accidentally missed the eject hole, and the sim tool scratched the frame with very force. It is not too deep or noticeable, unless I actually point it out.

Sounds like you did this:

So one should be careful with SIM card ejector tool. Otherwise the frame should not scratch like SS on Silver? If you put it in a (clean) Apple case for instance.

Reactions: TechNismo

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Sounds like you did this:

So one should be careful with SIM card ejector tool. Otherwise the frame should not scratch like SS on Silver? If you put it in a (clean) Apple case for instance.
Yup, thats what I did :(
But fortunately my scratch wasn't as deep as the one in the video.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Nothing scratches like the old iPods.

Careful use will render a few scratches here and there, it is normal wear. These are disposable devices. I throw on a silicon case from apple, always like the way they fit and feel. When it looks ugly I get another case. They last about 6 months for me, breaking down from putting in and out of pocket.

Pocket that nothing else goes in ever.

Reactions: jtinch

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The front of my SG X has various scratches on the screen from me dropping the phone several times. The sides and back of the phone still look mint. I do not have a case on my X either (AC+ though).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have read and seen many scratched Silver ones, but the only scratched Space Grey I've heard of is mostly demo units. Demo units may not represent a careful user.

Store demo units never resemble actual usage What an iPhone would look like in person. Those units you seen in Apple stores and carriers are abused, handle thousands of times a week and I would never base an iPhone durability based off a store demo unit.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Store demo units never resemble actual usage What an iPhone would look like in person. Those units you seen in Apple stores and carriers are abused, handle thousands of times a week and I would never base an iPhone durability based off a store demo unit.

Yes, I know. That is why I asked how people's own devices looks like after 3 months of use. :)
[doublepost=1519069165][/doublepost]It seems that Spacey Grey actually will hold of better than Silver. I'm not really liking the idea of polishing the SS anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It seems that Spacey Grey actually will hold of better than Silver. I'm not really liking the idea of polishing the SS anyway.

The advantage to the silver iPhone X with the stainless bands, is that you can remove the scratches if they are minor with a polishing cloth. The downside to the space gray bands, is once you scratch the bands with the physical vapor deposition coating (Which is more scratch resistant), they cannot be removed.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
The advantage to the silver iPhone X with the stainless bands, is that you can remove the scratches if they are minor with a polishing cloth. The downside to the space gray bands, is once you scratch the bands with the physical vapor deposition coating (Which is more scratch resistant), they cannot be removed.

Yes, I already knew this. I wasn't sure how "scratch resistant" the PVD coating was though. Since it's not as strong as DLC coating on Apple Watch. The PVD coating seems kind of ok if you're careful and if it scratch in the future, it may not look too bad anyway.

Spacey Grey it is. :)

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
After 3 months no scratches have case and screen protector on
More important enjoy your iPhone X don’t worry about a scratch this an object that goes in and out of pockets etc
Eventually these actions may cause a scratch

Reactions: Jetcat3 and 0984573

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The PVD coating seems kind of ok if you're careful and if it scratch in the future, it may not look too bad anyway.

No, it looks horrible when its scratched on the PVD bands, Which is fairly noticeable when the silver is showing underneath the scratch bands on the space gray. .Again, that will depend if you plan on using case or how you handle your phone altogether.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
No, it looks horrible when its scratched on the PVD bands. Again, that will depend if you plan on using case or how you handle your phone altogether.

I've heard people saying small scratches doesn't look horrible on the Space Grey. The "flaking" seen online I have not heard of except for online and on demo units.

As for my usage. I'm a very gentle user and I will use both screen protector and Apple silicone case.

I have never broken or scratched a phone before.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Mine is completely scratch-free, both on the frame, sides, front, and back. It's holding up great, however, I do wear a case and screen protector. =D

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Mine is completely scratch-free, both on the frame, sides, front, and back. It's holding up great, however, I do wear a case and screen protector. =D

Sounds good. I will also use screen protector and Apple silicone case. Maybe I take off the case at home from time to time, just too make sure that there is no dirt in the case, and to admire the phone naked. :)

Reactions: Jetcat3

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Sounds good. I will also use screen protector and Apple silicone case. Maybe I take off the case at home from time to time, just too make sure that there is no dirt in the case, and to admire the phone naked. :)

I take it off once a week. I also change the screen protector every few weeks.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've heard people saying small scratches doesn't look horrible on the Space Grey.

Just curious, (Not including store demo units), have you ever observed an iPhone X space gray with the bands with “Small scratches”?

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Just curious, not including store demo units, have you ever observed an iPhone X space gray with the bands with “Small scratches”?

No, not IRL (the store I went to in the beginning both devices looked pristine). Except the one in the video above from the SIM card ejector tool but even that scratch did not look horrible. I probably rather have that than all micro scratches the Silver gets from doing absolutely nothing.

I had the Silver for maybe one week (I returned it but that's another story, not concerning the Silver), and I did not even take of the plastic. I kept it in the box it came with. I baby it. Still, when I was about to return it, I saw small hairlines on the band. I don't get it, how it was possible. Thankfully Apple gave me a full refund anyway.

I have started to like the Space Grey more since last time and I think I will like the color better in the long run. You know, black goes with everything. Silver is very "in your face" and not my style. It has its charm however.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Silver is very "in your face" and not my style. It has its charm however.
Your above comment is totally correct. Silver is very “in your face” it is gorgeous, stunning and attention getter. That is what I like about it. I always put in my shirt pocket to ensure everyone notices that I have the latest and best iPhone in the iPhone history and market. The color could not be missed. The beauty and eye catching always gets people’s attention who pass by me. I use a bumper which protects the gorgeous silver frame and the phone from drop damage. By using a bumper, I can touch the back glass and feel the softness as it is naked. Overall, silver is the charmest and most splendid color as it radiates the beauty “without” any case needed.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Your above comment is totally correct. Silver is very “in your face” it is gorgeous, stunning and attention getter. That is what I like about it. I always put in my shirt pocket to ensure everyone notices that I have the latest and best iPhone in the iPhone history and market. The color could not be missed. The beauty and eye catching always gets people’s attention who pass by me. I use a bumper which protects the gorgeous silver frame and the phone from drop damage. By using a bumper, I can touch the back glass and feel the softness as it is naked. Overall, silver is the charmest and most splendid color as it radiates the beauty “without” any case needed.

I'm back and forth all the time. Both colors look good. I almost can't decide.

I may have to take a look at the store one more time.

I understand what you are saying, people know you have the latest and greatest. For me that is not necessarily a good thing, I don't want people to know because they have prejudices.

Last edited:

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Love cases so much I swap daily. Zero scratches on my SG. Love the look of the silver but my OCD would not allow me to carry around a scratched up device no matter how good it looked from further away.

iTom501

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
London
No scratches YAY! But I've got like these little nicks by the edge of the metal, where it meets the glass, also the camera bump has some tiny nicks but who cares. Things you use daily will scratch. As long as they don't crack it should be fine. At least for moi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.