Speakers!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ayeplussjr, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

I'm looking for some help for some desktop speakers. You guys have any suggestions. I don't need top of the line type speakers, but good sounding speakers is a must. Any suggestions?

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Listeners!!!!!

...oh sorry, thought we were playing word association games.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would go with Logitech. For under $100, you can get a 5.1 surround sound set.

4. ayeplussjr thread starter macrumors regular

LOL....yeah...maybe i shouldn't have added those exclamation points on my title. Maybe the better title would be something like, "Speaker Questions"

5. KelchM macrumors regular

How much do you want to spend?

What will you be using them for?

How much space do you have to work with?

6. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I just got the Logitech z2300's. Although they are just 2.1's, they sound beautiful! Im impressed. They were 83.94 from Amazon, however I opened an Amazon account and got 50 bux off! So I really just paid 33.94 for them!

7. ayeplussjr thread starter macrumors regular

Money is not too much of an issue, since I don't plan on using my iMac as a home theater. I just want quality speakers for the iMac

I'll be using them for just pretty much music, and maybe watching a movie here and there.

Space shouldn't be that big of a problem

8. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I like my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. I used to have 5.1 but it was more of a pain than anything having all those speakers around, plus it's a bit more of a pain to deal with on the Mac side, as there's a lot less support for it I believe.

Only downside to my speakers is that the on/off switch is on the back of the subwoofer so I have to reach down there to turn them on and off. Not a big deal if you just want to leave them on I guess. I should probably rig up a switch that's a lot easier to access.

Anyways, the subwoofer control is on the speaker, so depending on your use that may be better to have at arms reach than the power switch.

The quality is great at low or high volume, though because of my neighbors I unfortunately don't turn them up very much.

9. KelchM macrumors regular

How about some Audioengines?
    http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php

10. DavyC412 macrumors member

the frequency resp range is pretty garbage for speakers that cost 350 bucks, but it looks like it has a very nice mid range. pair that up with a sub and it could be really good, but i woudnt use them on their own.

i would go with logitech as well. get the 5.1 system. you never know the difference between stereo and surround until you hear it for yourself. it even makes music sound that much better (front speakers are cloned to rear) because you become surrounded and emersed by the music rather than just being infront of it.

11. iCharlie macrumors newbie

Bose Companion Fives.

Without a doubt, the best desktop audio quality I myself have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

12. KelchM macrumors regular

Its a realistic frequency response compared to the overoptimistic numbers you typically see.

With a 5" driver you can get away without having a sub for all but a few genres of music.

13. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I'm using the Logitech 5.1-channel speaker system (The Logitech Z-5500 Digital system) and I think they're excellent speakers for the price/cost.

14. KelchM macrumors regular

Also,

Unless you are primarily watching movies there is absolutely NO reason to go 5.1.

Even then, unless you are willing to spend a fair amount of money 2.0 with some powered monitors or 2.1 is the way to go. Adding three more speakers without doubling your budget means the quality of the individual speakers is going to be lower.

Just keep that in mind.

15. little nin macrumors newbie

this post is so true, i spent ages trying to get my 5.1 speakers to work and then just gave up, then i realised that that 2.1 or 2 monitors were the way to go

music is made to be played infront of you neway :D

as someone said, the audioengines are good and the aego m's :)

16. KelchM macrumors regular

Indeed.

The Aego M's are awesome if you can find them.

17. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

18. KelchM macrumors regular

The companion 3's would be a good buy if they were about 100.00 cheaper. 250.00 is just to much to spend for that kind of system.

But, if you are in need of very compact speakers, I think they are one of the best options without going for something like the Orb Audio speakers.

19. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Ok, maybe I'm a bit biased since I got them for $99 with an Airport Express when I bought my Mac :) And since I already had an Airport Express, I sold it locally for $70. Therefore, it was only $30...But I'd easily spend $150, maybe $200 on them.

20. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I have the smaller AudioEngine A2's and they don't even require a subwoofer. The only people who would think they lack bass is the "boom and sizzle" crowd who runs around with four 10" subs in their trunk. If you enjoy bass reproduction that is "punchy", as opposed to "muddy", then you'll enjoy these. The only con of the A2's is their ability to play blaringly loud. If you're using them in an average sized room and don't plan on using them at an outdoor house party, they're hard to beat.

21. DavyC412 macrumors member

i completley disagree, but im not here to change how you listen to music

to me, the level of immersion you get when youre surrounded by speakers playing music cannot even be closley matched with a 2.1 system. and its not blatant either, its very subtle. i can tell, for example, when the rear speakers are not working on my system because the music feels flat, even though it sounds the same, however, when everything is on, it blends together so nicely that you dont even realize they are there.

22. KelchM macrumors regular

You really aren't gaining anything unless you are listening to multichannel music. Now that is certainly a new experience.

I have a several thousand dollar 5.1 system and when I'm listening to music I typically am using it in a 2.1 configuration.

It just doesn't make sense to use 5 channels for two channel music.

23. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

24. ayeplussjr thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah....the thought about buying 5.1 speakers for my desktop never crossed my mind. I won't be watching movies on the iMac....I got my home theater set up for that. Still don't know what system to get, but your suggestions have helped. Thanks!! Keep the suggestions coming.

25. DavyC412 macrumors member

you dont clone your front channels to the rear when you listen to a stereo source?

like i mentioned many times its for the feeling of immersion. its like having a really good pair of headphones on, it sounds so much fuller than just sitting infront of the speakers. its like being inside the music. but like i said, thats just my thought on it.