Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
It's impossible to tell what we could recommend depend on how big, what accuracy you would like and your price range, the recommendations could be anything...

Tamoshanter

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
Dallas, TX
Desktop speaker system

I'm looking for some help for some desktop speakers. You guys have any suggestions. I don't need top of the line type speakers, but good sounding speakers is a must. Any suggestions?

Try the LOGITECH Z-2300 (200W THX surround sound), excellent reviews, highly recommended, $114 at amazon.com

Hydroxs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta
I have the swan m-10 and they are pretty good for music. The only downside is that you have to place the subwoofer at the same level as your speaker so you get the right bass.

LeoFio

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
New York
Please give a maximum amount you are willing to spend, and the people on this board will have a field day recommending speakers to you :)

There is everything from a $100 2.1 setup in a box to spending $1000s on a hi-fi system to connect your mac to.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Please give a maximum amount you are willing to spend, and the people on this board will have a field day recommending speakers to you :)

There is everything from a $100 2.1 setup in a box to spending $1000s on a hi-fi system to connect your mac to.

You forgot the $30 Logitech 2.1 speaker system. ;)

haze

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
AudioEngine or M-Audio if you want something a bit less expensive.

I concur. These are the best options without playing through a dac/amp or receiver paired with monitors. 99% of the Logitech, Bose, etc. won't compare for the price.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Not to hijack, but could anyone recommend a good set of 2.0 speakers for $50-60? I want to get a nice set for college but space is limited.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I wouldn't really recommend the M-Audio monitor offerings. I've always found them to be a little pathetic/dull sounding (even for monitors).

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
the frequency resp range is pretty garbage for speakers that cost 350 bucks, but it looks like it has a very nice mid range. pair that up with a sub and it could be really good, but i woudnt use them on their own.

i would go with logitech as well. get the 5.1 system. you never know the difference between stereo and surround until you hear it for yourself. it even makes music sound that much better (front speakers are cloned to rear) because you become surrounded and emersed by the music rather than just being infront of it.

People do realise, that most music is burned as a stereo recording, and that surround sound, unless specifically made for such a setup will ruin the "immersion" and placement, right?
A proper stereo set up playing back a stereo recording will sound better than the same recording played back on a surround sound set-up. Plus, with a budget – any type of budget except the "No limits"-one, when buying two speakers (or two speakers and a sub) will get you more bang for the buck, than the same amount of money spent on five or seven speakers (plus sub, if so needed).

I concur. These are the best options without playing through a dac/amp or receiver paired with monitors. 99% of the Logitech, Bose, etc. won't compare for the price.
I agree.

Not to hijack, but could anyone recommend a good set of 2.0 speakers for $50-60? I want to get a nice set for college but space is limited.

Don't be offended, but for that price, I'd go for headphones (cans), and simply use the inbuilt speakers when you don't want to wear headphones. $50-60 won't get you far. You'll propably end up with the same quality (lack of quality) speakers than what's in your lappie, only they will be separates and thus take up space and clutter your desktop.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Bose Companion Fives.

Without a doubt, the best desktop audio quality I myself have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Agreed, the Bose Companion Fives are truly awesome speakers (have them connected to a 2.8 GHz Mac Pro)! :)

Bose Companion 3's ftw.

Also great speakers, I have them connected to my 2.8 GHz iMac and used them on my 2.3 GHz DP Power Mac G5 before that. :)

zxcvb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2466

when you are choosing speakers, you can go with 2.1 or 5.1 channels , or you can go with several speakers with a sub. Or you can go with both ways which I think you dont want because it would cost thousands dollars.

basically I think 5.1 channel is wasting money like bose companion 5. you barely would listen 5.1 channel sound except the HDTV or blue ray movie. 5.1 channel it self sounds unbalanced like laptop build in speakers, only difference is it has a sub, so the bass is so loud that makes you thought 5.1 is so different.

so as someone suggested before, "buying two speakers (or two speakers and a sub) will get you more bang for the buck, than the same amount of money spent on five or seven speakers (plus sub, if so needed)."

My point is multiple speaks( for high tunes, middle tunes and low tunes, not several same speakers) are much worthy than multiple channels.

DavyC412

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
People do realise, that most music is burned as a stereo recording, and that surround sound, unless specifically made for such a setup will ruin the "immersion" and placement, right?
A proper stereo set up playing back a stereo recording will sound better than the same recording played back on a surround sound set-up. Plus, with a budget – any type of budget except the "No limits"-one, when buying two speakers (or two speakers and a sub) will get you more bang for the buck, than the same amount of money spent on five or seven speakers (plus sub, if so needed).

i bought these old 4.1's in the early days of EAX for gaming. but im not gonna turn the rears off when i listen to music. i personally perfer them to be on, i think it sounds fuller, richer, and generally better (you get the headphone feeling, its hard to describe) than when i only turn the fronts on, which feels harsher (my speakers have an adjustible setting where i can change the speaker balance from F to R on the remote, so i can quickly switch to compare the two). to me, the music sounds the same, but feels different, if that makes any sense. youre not gonna change my opinion to 2 speakers is better than 4 just like im not going to convince you of the opposite. i have my opinion, you have yours. i feel its more immersive, and that just because music is burned in stereo, it doesnt have to be heard on only two speakers, you dont.

as for getting more bang for your buck from 2.1 instead of 4.1, i would have to heartily agree. a 2.1 system of equal value to a 4.1 would probably be of higher quality.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Where can you get those Aego M's? Have been looking everywhere. Have they simply been discontinued, or ... are they merely an audiophile collector's item?

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Bose Companion series sucks imo.

Go for Audioengine A2 or A5 depending on your desk size.

dL

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
That's just your opinion, many people speak of them very well and are absolutely fantastic. They get pretty good reviews too, and people on this forum seem to like them.

Of course it's his opinion. He even stated it was his opinion. :p

But really, how many of those reviews aren't merely opinion based on little knowledge and zero comparison?

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
London
But really, how many of those reviews aren't merely opinion based on little knowledge and zero comparison?

True, very true! Out of all the desktop speakers I have owned they have been the best. (and also the most expensive) lol.

zxcvb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
That's just your opinion, many people speak of them very well and are absolutely fantastic. They get pretty good reviews too, and people on this forum seem to like them.

if you could shut off the Bose companion 5 's big Sub and listen music only from it's 2 speakers, you'll see its true color

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.