Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeplussjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
I decided to go with the Logitech Z2300's. Got em from Amazon for about 84.00. I'm happy with em. They match my iMac, and sound a lot better than the built in speakers. I didn't want to spend too much. I don't use my iMac as a home entertainment system. Got my flat screen and my 6.1 surround for that...I just bought em just so that I can have some decent speakers to use while doing work on my iMac and listening to iTunes.

Sgt.Pepper

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
Australia
You've already made your purchase so my advice is now moot.
I was going to recommend, you get an external DAC to bypass the computers, and them get an amplifier and hook up some proper stereo speakers, that is the best sound option. Although it would have been more expensive. Also you'd probably want lossless music too.
Or set up a nice headphone rig, with a DAC/headphone amp.

And to the people who recommended BOSE, the quality of BOSE speakers is about half what they cost. BOSE spend millions on a slick advertising/marketing to convince people their great products, when really they're an average product in a shin case.
They should change 'Better Sound Through Research', with 'Brainwashing through marketing'

I don't hate BOSE, I just hate that they advertise as themselves as a premium product when their not, yet they still charge a premium price. If they were actually premium, I'd like them. Or if they had prices that reflected their quality I'd like them.

SUSU65

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
CANADA
A thought about speakers ...

I was looking for a set as well...
Until I noticed a button on my
shelf top Panasonic Stereo above my monitor
that said - AUX - auxiliary ...

So I grabbed the AV cable from the digital camera,
plugged it into the mac, ran it up to the
sound jacks behind the stereo,
pressed the auxiliary button ...
and Shazam - booming sound in stereo.

A trip to the dollar store to pick up a
dollar fifty AV Sound cable, and that’s it !
... very happy, sounds great.
net cost ... a buck fifty.

try it ! you might like it :)
...um just say’n .... !

--

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.