Speck cases to fit new Magsafe available soon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PinkLuxe, Jun 3, 2010.

1. PinkLuxe macrumors member

I've seen several threads about the Speck cases not fitting properly, forcing people to have unsecured connections with the new Magsafe, and some filing the cases down to fit the computer properly (see this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=905020)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I emailed Speck and asked when they would have properly fitting cases available for sale, and they wrote back saying in 4-5 weeks they will be available.

2. ramzhh macrumors regular

3. PinkLuxe thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure. I didn't contact them. But I read in another thread that Speck was planning on redesigning the cases to properly fit, so that's why I contacted them to find out when. Didn't see too much mention of the fit of InCase cases in other threads about the new magsafe/cases.

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I have a Speck satin on my 2010 MBP and really don't understand the concerns. The MagSafe doesn't fit perfectly, but fits well enough that charging functions fine.

5. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Not sure about this but I've got Speck see-thru case that I picked up from BestBuy last week and it works with my MBP 13 2010 without any problem with power adapter. Here is image of the same..
    [​IMG]

from side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

nice to see that speck is on top of what they need to do!

7. mac*chick macrumors member

I also sent an e-mail and was told 4-5 weeks. I read on another forum that InCase was supposed to have new ones at the end of May but I haven't seen anything new yet.

I too am glad Speck is doing something about this as I don't want to pay money for something that isn't a perfect fit or have to modify it to work properly. Wonder if they will include a range of colours. I'm still on the fence about See Thru and the soft touch ones so I'll see what they come up with.

8. PinkLuxe thread starter macrumors member

That's how I feel. Perhaps if I already had one I'd learn to live with the slight imperfection, but I got my MBP about a month ago and I wouldn't spend $50 for something that fit just "good enough". Since its only a few weeks wait time it just makes more sense to wait and get something that I don't have to modify or settle for.

It would be nice if they introduced new colors. Hadn't thought about that. I think I'm gonna go with the See Thru Satin though.

9. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502a

Does Speck offer any email updates so I can be notified the minute the new cases are released? I couldn't find anything on their sites.

I also emailed XGears to see if they would update their Shadow covers for the MacBook and they completely blew me off. Guess I'll be going with Speck then. :D

10. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Bleh...

I was under the impression that the "old" Speck cases just barely fit around the new Magsafe adapters. So what do I do? I go an order one. >.<

It supposed to be delivered on Tuesday, and it's going straight back for a refund.

11. ramzhh macrumors regular

Maybe not a fire but it is dangerous

12. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Got too impatient to wait, got a speck satin on Thursday and took a metal file to the corner. The MagSafe adapter connects fine with no angle now.

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

OK, you guys are hilarious.

Make your case that the new magsafe adapter + old/current Speck satin is dangerous and/or a fire hazard. Go ahead....I can't wait to hear your scientific evidence on this.

14. musictech100 macrumors newbie

My speck see through fits perfectly fine on my new 15". The MagSafe connects with no problems at all

15. TXOID macrumors newbie

The clear one's out

I went to Apple Store today and found a clear See Thru with a sticker that says compatible with new magsafe adapter. Also Incase has theirs updated too. I wonder when will the Satin line be updated...:confused:

16. Coleys macrumors newbie

Coleys

I emailed them yesterday, and this was exactly what they said:

~C

17. spencer elliott macrumors member

spencer elliott

i would gladly buy a current speck shell if they discounted the price

18. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I got the same stock reply from Speck when I sent them a similar query. However, I added in the following question:

"Does the slight 'off kilter' fit of the new magsafe adapter into the power plug, caused by the current-gen Speck Satin case design, in any way impact the charging of the device? Secondarily, does this present a fire hazard or other danger to either my equipment, the charger, the case or my environment in any way?"

Their answer to this question:

"Other than aesthetics, there is no danger posed. In our tests, your equipment continues to function as designed."

So again, if it bothers you, by all means double your investment, throw away your current model and buy their new/improved model when it comes out. But its only an aesthetic issue and an almost imperceptible one at that.

19. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

20. TXOID macrumors newbie

Yeah, saw some of the Incase Hardshell with new labels saying that it works with the 90 degree magsafe. So far I saw three color, Black, White and Green.:rolleyes:

21. ramzhh macrumors regular

22. flat4 macrumors member

Did the same thing and it works just fine.

23. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Coupon code SFD822TP takes 25% off total purchase price on Speck's website; makes the clear case $37.50 vs. $50.

24. TXOID macrumors newbie

We had the ones that's ready for the 13" here already in Tokyo. I'll make sure to take a picture next time I go to the Apple Store. :D

25. spencer elliott macrumors member

spencer elliott