SPECK SeeThru case questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DocDoom, Jul 17, 2010.

1. DocDoom macrumors regular

I really am interested in protecting my 13 inch Macbook Pro with the Speck SeeThru case, but i have some concerns. Maybe some of you who have owned or own this case can answer my questions...

1- Does the case scratch the macbook when it is applied, and removed?

2- Does the added weight from the case have any negative effect on the screens hinges. Does it 'loosen' the screen over time?

3- Does the case cause any over heating issues with the macbook pro?

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I have the see through satin and my answer to all 3 questions is no. It has not scratched my Macbook and it does not weigh enough to make the hinge move on its own or anything like that. Also, mine seems to stay around same temp with it on.

3. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

From the single day I had the speck case I can say no to all 3.

I just hear that the case traps dirt so you should take it off and clean it every once in a while.

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello-

I own the now discontinued Candy Apple Green version of this case. I have never had it scratch it in now over a year of use. The only thing I can think of is if you plan to use your MacBook in a very dirty and dusty enviroment, I think a lot of dust and dirt would get caught between the case and your MacBook.

It does really not weigh very much at all, and does not have any affect on the hinges, at least as far as I can tell. Although it kind of has a placebo on me and makes me think my MacBook Pro 13" is about 2 lbs heavier. xD

I even use my MacBook Pro connected to a 23" Apple Cinema Display, with this case on. Apart from turning on the fan, it does not have any affect on cooling in any way.

I really love this case, however a warning I must give is TAKE OFF AND PUT ON THE CASE VERY SLOWLY. If you do it fast, the little tabs that hold the case to your computer tend to break off, thus rendering your case unusable. :(

Hope this helps!

6. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

Noted. Is it difficult to take off?

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

No, you just have to be careful as I said not to break off the little tabs that hold it on.

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

So, can anybody vouch for the black seethru satin for a 15" MBP?
    35 bucks on amazon.

9. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Almost every person in this thread just vouched for it. Size wont matter.

10. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

make sure it's the new version

MB15AUSAT-BLK-D

11. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Will this case work with some invisible shield as well? Just to prevent some scratches from the trapped dust... :\

12. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

some people say that it's too tight of a fit, others say it's possible

but everyone can agree that it is redundant

take it off and clean it once in a while, the whole "dust scratching the macbook" is a bunch of BS for the most part unless you're using it on the beach or if you decide to clean it every 2 years

13. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

I myself questioned having to take off the case so often. I dont think the 'dust' thats collected over time will damage the Aluminum. Unless, as you stated, your in a beach or in a construction like work environment.

14. u6crash macrumors member

u6crash

I've got a red one currently on my 13" MacBook and it's okay. I actually took the bottom half of the shell off. I was living in a pretty dirty environment for a while, so I found dust got trapped in there pretty easily.

Debating on whether or not I'll get a Speck case for my recently ordered 17" MBP. Might just go with a Gelaskin for the top and maybe the moshi wrist rest/trackpad combo for the inside. Really, who is ever going to look at the bottom anyway and what are a few scratches on the sides over the life of the computer? Doesn't it just mean it was loved? ;) Anyway, it almost seems a shame to cover up all that bright shiny aluminum with another color.

To echo earlier sentiments, I'd say no to all three questions as well, but I did have dust and dirt get trapped easily. Like I said, it was a dirty environment.

15. demonsavatar macrumors regular

My GF has had a red speck case on her unibody macbook for about a year or so. The plastic case can't really scratch the aluminum (remember learning about hardness in 8th grade science?) so you don't have to worry about that.

Every few months or so she does take it off and clean alot of the dirt that gets in between the case and the computer though.

As far as overheating, hasn't been an issue really. She complains about it getting hot on her lap once in a while, but thats a common problem with the unibodies with or without the case.

Screen hinge doesn't seem to be affected in anyway either.

I just ordered a 15" MBP and plan to get the black satin speck case for it immediately. I like the grippy feeling because I tend to grab my computer at awkward angles. Besides less scratches = higher resale value.

16. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

17. frozenflourish macrumors member

ok I KNOW that this is the MBP forum - but i found that the red speck case really did a number on my white MB. i was shocked because i was so careful with it. i had to get the case replaced anyway bc of the cracking issues - but you can still see the damage on my battery which they did not replace.
    my husband has a 1 year old MBP 15 inch and has the black velvet-y thing - i hate the way it feels but he likes it and his book looks to be in good condition.

18. ihonda macrumors 68000

the speck case DOES scratch the macbook, i have a few little marks on my bottom shell. you can tell some dust got into it and had a little bit of wiggle room.

took it off and now im all about wrapsol.

19. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

So the case scratched your Macbook, or macbook pro? any major damage to your bottom shell, or just minor hairline scratches?

20. ihonda macrumors 68000

macbook pro, hair line scratches right by the speed led light.

21. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

'speed led light'...?

22. TaylorJ macrumors regular

It is such a tight fit that if you take it off repeatedly it is destined to scratch or scuff the mbp. I bought my mbp and the first day I dented it it, I hate idea of cases but I returned the mbp and got a case.

I also put the invisible shield on before putting the case on. Fits great, I find the hinge of my mbp 13 pretty loose, it falls back while I lift it or if its on too great of an angle. That might be the speck case, I am not sure since I havent used an mbp without one.

I have the black see thru satin, and it goes great with the black keys and bezel of the 13 inch. However it holds fingerprints like crazy. I havent figured out how to clean it yet...any tips?

23. ihonda macrumors 68000

sorry, sleep led. you know right of the trackpad

24. ihonda macrumors 68000

its the speck lid that makes the hinge move as loose as it does, without the speck case mine no longer does it.

25. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Grr after looking at it closely my GF's macbook unibody does have some light scratches in some corners where dust got trapped under her Red speck satin case.

I ordered a black satin case for my MBP 15" (made sure it was the new model MB15AUSAT-BLK-D). I definitely need a hard case since I bump it around in my backpack alot during travel, Zagg invisishield or wrapsol won't do.

Honestly, I may just line my MBP with some scotch tape around the problem areas before sticking on the Speck case. Scotch tape is thin, comes off with no residue, and you won't see it under the Speck case anyway :p In fact some extra padding from the tape may give the speck case a stronger and tighter fit too.