Specs don't matter? I don't get it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Timzer macrumors 6502

I'm not quite sure why so many here go by the mantra, specs don't matter. But then at the same time, so many have upgraded to the iPhone 4S. And what exactly is the difference between the two? Specs would be the difference. Of course specs matter. Specs refers to hardware, and if you don't update hardware, you can't update software. It's quite simple, if specs didn't matter, why would so many reviews say the 4S feels a bit snappier than the 4 running the same OS. Of course specs matter. If your enjoying a better camera on the 4S, that's specs. If your enjoying your snappier 4S, that's specs. In fact the 4S is described as just a 4 with a spec bump. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems more than obvious that specs matter.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I think it's more accurate to say that specs aren't everything.

3. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

For many fanboys of Apple that phrase was a way to make themselves feel better when debating the Mac v. PC argument with the fanboys of Microsoft.

More recently, it's deployed in the Android v. iOS smartphone debates. Fanboys will use it when the iPhone is out-spec'd by phone X, then turn right around and say the iPhone outspecs, and is therefore better, than phone Y. In other words, they use the phrase at their convenience and only when it favours their argument.

I wouldn't stress out about it.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Honestly, if someone had a 4, I wouldn't recommend the upgrade to the 4S, unless you love the latest and greatest. I'm the kind of person that wants the latest iPhone no matter if the update is small or big.

The 4S is better than than the 4; however, I rarely use the camera, Siri is turned off on my phone and I don't game (the better A5 chip). I did better keeping my 4, but I just want the latest.

I'm sure most disagree but that's just how I feel.

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

Specs don't matter because you don't need a Quad core to make Phone calls, send text messages, use it as a PDA or chatting.

If you're interested in playing games, it's best to buy a console or a computer for the big games. :D

Specs might be important for the longevity of the iPhone because iOS 8 might require dual cores for example.

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

This. Just look at WP7 for example, runs like a dream.

7. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Specs don't matter until the execs at Apple conferences tell you they do.

8. scaredpoet, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

^^ This.

Specs are a factor in what to buy. But they must be balanced with other things: how stable the OS is, how the features work for you, are things smooth and seamless, is the battery life good, etc.

The reason is pretty straightforward: in reality, it's possible for a phone to all-around work better if the OS it runs isn't a resource hog, is well written and well-integrated. Apple typically under clocks their CPUs and waits a year (or more) before upgrading the specs significantly, but during that time, iOS usually runs pretty smoothly despite running in something that's slow compared the 1+GHz multicore android phones, all which have different congifurations and mods and thus, the integration isn't as tight.

So when an Android fanboy comes in here and gawks at iPhone users because the spec sheet says that his newly-purchased Samsung Mutara Nebula S MCMLXXXVIII XL PLUS Version 2 has a faster processor and GPU, most folks on here roll their eyes because those processor specs don't tell the whole story. What good is a 3GHz quad core CPU in your phone if it makes the battery die in 2 hours, and no software tweak in the world can fix it? And what good is 1GB of RAM if the OS needs every last bye of that just to keep poorly-written, bloated apps from crashing and rebooting multiple times a day?

(The above is of course hypothetical, but there have been real world instances where specs ended up meaning little... like, how RIM was proudly touting that the Blackberry playbook could play Flash content because it was superior in terms of specs, but if you tried to get a Playbook to load RIM's own product web page for it, the web browser would have a fit).

9. buddybd macrumors 6502

People usually say it when other people rave on about the specs of their Droid phone and how those are better than iPhones.

Also, scaredpoet just rickroll'd me :|

10. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Specs dont matter if the OS they are running on is solid.
    The OS is way more important than specs and how the OS uses those specs.

11. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

My mom asked me to buy a computer for her. She wanted 27" screen, 12Gb ram and quad core at the least. Gave me cash here.

I asked her. "So... what are you planning to use this computer for?"

She replied "My co-worker got a new computer. I want new one too to check my email and facebook"

....Evil looks in my eyes. Trots off, comes back with my old machine swapped with new 27" screen, but 2GB ram and single core lol. She never knew the difference. Woot i got new Quad core is smoking fast for meeh selfish *_^

12. jburns macrumors regular

Running a scam on your own mother, priceless.

13. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

lol, better from me than from someone else outside the family =]

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Hahahaha lmao

----------

Specs aren't everything. Look at the WP7, it doesn't need 1GB of RAM and 1.2 - 1.5 ghz to run smoothly.

15. medi.freak macrumors regular

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Erm... fraud is still fraud even if one is defrauding one's family. Shame on you.

Anyways, the 4S is best seen as an upgrade to the 3GS, but perhaps some of those who upgraded from the 4 wanted Siri, a better camera, fewer reception issues etc. As for specs, they are a summary statistic about only one aspect of function, a faster processor does not always translate into a detectable speed increase, more pixels does not always translate in better legibility*, and no amount of hardware can make up for a fugly user interface or a virus-ridden app store.

*Actually I see little difference between my old 3GS and my new 4S, but then again my sight is so poor I don't drive. I guess this Retina display thing depends on whose retina we're talking about. :|

17. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

My wife finally upgraded from a 3G (non-S) to the iPhone 4S. Now there is a jump that is significant enough to say yes, specs matter. The 3G was well beyond it's useful shelf life. I have a 4 and have absolutely no intention of upgrading to a 4S. I don't really care enough about Siri and the cameras in all phones kinda suck. It just wasn't worth it to make a half life upgrade jump. Maybe I will see what the next phone brings, and go from there. But we aren't exactly talking about a device for running Photoshop, Final Cut, high end games and the like are we. It's a "smart phone," but it is still just a phone. Better places to worry about specs and spend money.

And yes ShionoyaTamaki, shame on you for scamming your own mother. It would be one thing if you talked to her and she agreed she didn't need the top of the line, and purchased you a new one in exchange for your old one. But to just give her your old one without telling her? Come on man.

18. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm on the specs aren't everything bandwagon, especially when compared across different platforms.

19. szolr macrumors 6502

^ That's good reasoning. Pretty accurate too.

20. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Hard to compare specs when they run different OS's, then they dont matter. Compare 2 phones using the same OS, then it matters.

21. szolr macrumors 6502

Specs matter. The weighting of them in a technical debate always varies. But specs always matter somewhat. Don't let anyone tell you different.

22. VeganHipster macrumors regular

They matter to some extent. But I am not going to be pissed if the iPhone 5 is not a six core 3.3ghz processor. There is clearly a standard for some hardware, for example this year it is dual core, but I feel specs don't matter to an extent because what do we even need a dual core for? I am not rendering and editing with after effects on my phone. I am not playing crysis 2 on high. I am happy with my single core android phone because it does everything snappy. I see no need for dual cores when a phone does not even need dual cores.

23. szolr macrumors 6502

Haha. Snap. ;) It might lead to a proper Batterygate scandal. :eek:

----------

Well it seems that games companies are investing a fair bit in smartphone game development. And as the phones keep getting better specs, the games keep getting more demanding to make better use of the new technologies implemented.

24. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

If you can honestly tell the difference between a 1 ghz vs a 1.2 ghz processor, then yes, specs are everything. If you say do you notice a difference, then I can point out a lier.

25. szolr macrumors 6502

On some games I daresay you can notice the difference. I sure notice a difference between my 3GS and the 4Ss I've played with at the Apple Store.