Speeding

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sahni130, May 28, 2013.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

Hello everyone.
    I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured I would start here since you guys have always given good advice in the past.
    Yesterday, I got pulled over by Georgia State Patrol for speeding...doing 93 in a 55 zone.
    I had a speeding ticket previously as well, which was a 68 in a 55 zone in 2011.
    Looking back at it, I know this was incredibly stupid and I hope to learn from it. I know I have to pay a $200 super speeder fine to the state of Georgia but anybody have an idea of what the local fine would be in the city of Sandy Springs, GA? I'm supposed to appear in court on July 3, 2013 and I wonder if the judge will cut me any slack at all. I wonder if being an honor student/president's list in college, etc will help at all? What would you say/do?

-jay

2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Step one: Pay the ticket, and be thankful you didn't go to jail instead.
    Step two: Don't ever, ever find yourself doing nearly 40 over the limit again.

As an alternative strategy, you might get it reduced if you hired a good lawyer.

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

4. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

If that was done in the UK, instant driving ban.

So yea, pay the fine like it's your birthday.

5. Sparticu$ macrumors member

Hire a damn good attorney, and maybe invest in a good radar detector.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Cut you slack for what?

That was beyond willful speeding

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

93 in a 55 zone!?!? I hope the judge throws the book at you.

8. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

this.

93 in 55 is likely reckless driving. FIND OUT. Reckless is a much more serious offense. Here in VA you could do some jail time for this, hopefully for you GA isn't so strict.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Georgia, huh? At the very least you're gonna get slapped with the $300 reckless driving fine on top of the base ticket fine. Expect to pay at least $600 for your joyriding.

10. Shrink, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

At the risk of sounding defensive :)o), at least in Mass, an 8 lane divided highway has a 55 mph speed limit. I'm not defending my own behavior, but going 90+ on a road was intended for 75+mph when it was built, is not hard to do if you are in a car built to go fast.

Remember ( or if you're too young to remember) highways had 75 mph limits until the gas crisis in the 70s, and the speed limit was dropped from 75 to 55...on roads built for speed.

One other factor...speed differential is the issue in creating a dangerous situation. If others are going 55, 75 creates danger. If others are going 75, going 55 creates a dangerous situation.

OK...I know I'm sort of defending a behavior of which others rightly criticize. I'm not recommending going 90+...and if you get busted, you pay your dues. I've been busted for speeding more than once (!), and I never argue...I pay my fine, and in Mass you then pay a surcharge on your insurance for 6 years.

All in all...it's a bad idea!

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This.
    OP, you sound like you may be a bit reckless. I hope you have decades of driving skills and never harm an innocent.

12. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I have a bit more time to respond...

When I say "Lawyer up" this just means to talk to an attorney that specializes in traffic tickets. It's really not a big deal - they know the ins and outs of the law, the courts and what works and what doesn't - you don't.

You're paying for expertise and time.

The conversation you'd have would be pretty short - what county was it, what was the ticket written for and that's about it. They then either investigate further and/or give you your options. Options that you may not know about - so the "just pay it" crowd needs to give it a rest (that's a pre-emptive strike, I've been in a few threads about this topic and there's always someone who proposes this).

For example, in one state, you wouldn't necessarily plead guilty, but ask for "supervision" which is just taking an internet course and then not having another ticket for 6 months. If no ticket in that 6 month period, the whole episode gets wiped and insurance is none the wiser. The catch is that if you do get another ticket, then the first one goes to maximum penalty and the second one does too.

In other states you can ask for something along the lines of "prayer for mercy" (not the exact phrase), same sort of deal.

Again, you don't know the ins and outs, but the attorney will. They'll know the DA, they may know the officer, they'll know what works as a defense, and what doesn't.

IANAL.

13. Roller macrumors 68020

I pretty much agree with this. I've driven over 100 MPH once in my life, when I was young and foolish. These days, I speed often, but usually no more than 10 MPH above the posted limit, and never faster than other traffic around me.

I also agree with the advice to get the opinion of an attorney who specializes in traffic law. You may save more than the cost.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Only $600?

He'd be off the road for probably a year here. Plus a monster fine. Like thousands.

15. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yes, but he's not there (or the UK), now is he?

So, what's your point? That - miracle of miracles - laws and fines vary across the world?

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    He's probably more right than I am. I don't have much experience in getting pulled over for going 40 over the speed limit, so I don't know exactly what punishment that would entail.

But whatever it is, it'll be at least $600. :p

17. DollFaceDork, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013

DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Simply stating what it would be where we are.

Neither of us insinuated he should be shipped off to a totally different country for his driving offences.

18. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I hope you're not under 21. Going 38 mph above the speed limit would most likely be defined under reckless driving, which according to the Georgia Department of Driver Services is grounds for license suspension if you're under 21 years old. Note that under Georgia State Law:

Get an attorney, you may be facing some serious charges.

19. adk macrumors 68000

adk

20. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

In my younger days I use to speed quite often and have paid for it more than once. In my area, Louisiana, I learned that unless you hurt someone regardless of the crime the courts just want their money. I would simply go to the DA's office right after receiving the ticket and offered to pay the ticket in full if they would reduce the charge to a non-moving violation. This has always worked for me even for a drag racing ticket. While I still paid the full amount of the ticket, I never had a rate increase on my insurance.

If you decide to just pay it outright and skip the attorney, I suggest you try to talk to someone before you simply send in a check. Just my two cents.

21. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

I really didn't have a good reason for speeding....I was being stupid. The trooper was hidden very well, and when I passed him I slowed down to the limit , he slowly caught up to me and followed me for about a quarter mile or so before turning on his lights. I immediately have my blinker and pulled over. I already had my license in hand and gave it to him and was polite. He, on the other hand didn't say much at all. He took my license and came back with the ticket and asked me to sign it. I signed it and he said, "drive safely" and that was it...never explained to me anything about the super speeder law, etc and I never got a chance to say much at all.
    I was cited by Georgia State Patrol and he said he got me with laser, which was calibrated around 3 hours before he pulled me over. There wasn't much traffic, according to the ticket it was "medium" and the blacktop was dry. I wasn't cutting people off or anything reckless, I guess. Again, what I did was stupid but I'm very scared and looking for positive advice.

-Jay

22. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Being a local to the area where you received the ticket, I'm shocked that you were able to exceed the speed limit in the first place since that area is usually in heavy gridlock except during the nite hours. If it was dark then you were doubly irresponsible.

Go to court, take your lumps and be properly contrite to the judge. Retaining your license is at his/her discretion and you may not get another chance.

23. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

The LEO is just there to enforce the laws which means clocking you over the speed limit and writing the ticket(s) for the laws he believes you broke. Anything beyond that will be handled with the DA's office (at least here in Louisiana) or your attorney. The cop usually lets you know why you were stopped (maybe not in this case since it was pretty obvious), what violations he wrote on the ticket, when/where you need to pay the fine/show up for court, and the fact that signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt but just a promise to either pay or show up for court.

He was set up to catch as many people and give as many tickets as possible in the shortest amount of time. The more time he talks to you the less time he has to catch people. I'm not saying he isn't helping keep the roads safer but the courts love their money.

24. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

It was during daytime. I feel very stupid about this. So the consensus is that I definitely should hire an attorney? Would it be unwise to go to court myself, be courteous, polite, and play the honor student card? I don't think I should be let go with a clean slate, but I'm terrified at the idea of facing thousand dollar fines, higher insurance rates, and possible jail time.