Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hazelnut_pistachio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I noticed that the Spigen screen protector has a cutout for the FaceID camera sensors while the ESR screen protector covers the FaceID sensors leaving only the top speaker exposed. I'm leaning toward the ESR protector if it doesn't affect anything. Will covering the camera sensors affect FaceID or the selfie camera quality?

Spigen tempered glass: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Tempered-Protector-Designed-Friendly/dp/B095RQQTRF/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1FJVAGKJS45YU&dchild=1&keywords=iphone+13+screen+protector+tempered+glass&qid=1632085145&sprefix=iphone+13+screen+protector,aps,244&sr=8-6

ESR tempered glass: https://www.amazon.com/ESR-Tempered-Glass-Protector-Compatible-Installation/dp/B099KMZPMZ/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1FJVAGKJS45YU&dchild=1&keywords=iphone+13+screen+protector+tempered+glass&qid=1632085145&sprefix=iphone+13+screen+protector,aps,244&sr=8-9&th=1

Bacasable

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2021
France
I never understand why you guys need to buy a screen protector over pricy ?

i always buy mines on Aliexpress for 1€ + free shipping.

Reactions: levmc

CallmeBigfat

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
If apple can’t apply one for me in store on launch day I’m trying the spigen ez as it looks like an easier install. I have a hell of a hard time with these things.
My spigen ones came in today I placed the module over my 12PM and it looked like it was going to be beyond easy when the new phones come in, cant wait. I'm so tired of trying to get it on "perfectly" ? and the notch looks way smaller.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2014
My spigen ones came in today I placed the module over my 12PM and it looked like it was going to be beyond easy when the new phones come in, cant wait. I'm so tired of trying to get it on "perfectly" ? and the notch looks way smaller.
Oh I have ocd so if I don’t get it perfect I rip it off. It’s frustrating. That’s why I usually just have apple do it with their belkin machine press.

Reactions: CallmeBigfat

Dextux

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I got both an Amfilm and Spigen for my Pro Max. I ended up installing the Amfilm since it covers the notch. The Spigen has a notch cutout. No issues with the front camera or Face ID.

Reactions: AMEXplat

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Spigen had a notchless "sensor protection" version for the iPhone 12, but unfortunately it doesn't look they are doing it for the 13. When I couldn't find it on Amazon I contacted them and they said they had no plans to make it for the 13 at this time.

So I ordered the ESR but can't comment since I don't have my phone yet...

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Never had a bad ESR protector always fit great and stayed until they were damaged. Don’t put a lot of time into glass protection types.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Also using the regular ESR one on my 13 PM. Perfect fit and covers the entire screen, no issue with Face ID. Installs in less than a minute and so simple to line up because it covers the whole screen.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Just installed my ESR one and had a pretty easy experience - which is saying something, since in the past I've actually had a tough time, with some. The kit I ordered came with three in it for $10 Canadian so I'm pretty happy.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
+1 for ESR, I got the cheaper version, was easy to install, not having Face ID issues. Did have to use two because I got dust on my first install but that was my fault.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I have the same ESR full screen tempered glass on my 12pm since day 1, and still no issues. I doubt having a full screen tempered glass effects the face id module at all, unless you have dust under it, which is a user error.

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
I had the ESR on my 12 PM, and it didn’t cause any problems. I really liked that it didn’t have the cutout for the notch. It was also my 1st time ever applying a glass screen protector, and the alignment frame made it super easy.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
Oh I have ocd so if I don’t get it perfect I rip it off. It’s frustrating. That’s why I usually just have apple do it with their belkin machine press.
I've had Apple do my last few with their machine at the store, but this time I had my phone shipped to my house and my nearest Apple Store is 2 ½ hours away. I used the Spigen, install was quick and just as perfectly aligned as if Apple had done it with their machine. First time I've used a Spigen, but will definitely use them again. The installation tray really does make it effortless, and positions it perfectly.

Reactions: NoellaBklvr26

KingBanh

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2021
Frankfurt, Germany
In germany we also have a spigen Glas that covers the notch.

8D01149A-2C83-4F3D-9ED8-F5A290345790.jpeg

Reactions: bnekic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.