Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
I spilled coffee on mine. Instantly turned it over, pulled power, pulled battery (older MBP) and shook it. Used paper towel wadded up to absorb what I could. Cussed a lot. Then popped off a few keys and wiped. Waited two days to turn it back on, and son of a bitch, it worked. Except for the seven key and the "d" key.

Short story long, I took it to Apple and fessed up. The genius told me that if the coffee made it to the motherboard I would have to pay up -- otherwise, they'd replace it for free.

That's what they did -- I was typing again in 35 minutes at zero cost.

Now that's service!

izimzis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Well Mine is with the Not changable battery i Hope it dis Not Mesa Stuff up :/

85md

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
My son spilled coke on my pro 1 year ago. Wiped it off, turned power off, upside down for 2 days. Never opened it up. Works as good today as when I first got it. No issues. Lucky I guess (knock on wood).
Paul

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
You would be suprised how many people throw out perfectly fine computers! I have had spilling issues with a few computers and the key is to not throw them out! After 7 months or so, one just started magically working again and has not missed a beat since! Same thing with many comps

Strangely enough, I can vouch for this. My GF spilt a cup of tea all over the keyboard of her MBP, it pretty much immediately shut off. I thought it was toast, but I got it disassembled and let it dry for 3 days. I put it back together, and left it alone for a good 3-4 months.

It has been working perfectly ever since (over 3 years now).

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Should OP dilute it first with a couple of glasses of warm salty water just to make sure the sticky molasses really comes off? Should they run it through the hose just to be really certain while they are at it? I mean, if you spill that soft drink you may as well pour the pitcher of water onto it, sue the soft drink giant while they are at it too and what not?

I feel for your pain - though I will never experience this because I keep my over priced notebooks in a dust free, liquid free, air free, sealed / locked room, it takes my finger print to enter the panic room. Yep.

DonK KijotE

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
Madrid / Spain
I spilled a beer over my MBP before summer and though it kept working ( clearly overheating ) I suddenly couldn't switch it on.

I stopped using it the whole summer, returned home and I got the best surprise ever: it's working as good as new :D

From now on no liquids are allowed around my MBP !!!

Hope you're lucky as well!!! :D

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Should OP dilute it first with a couple of glasses of warm salty water just to make sure the sticky molasses really comes off? Should they run it through the hose just to be really certain while they are at it? I mean, if you spill that soft drink you may as well pour the pitcher of water onto it, sue the soft drink giant while they are at it too and what not?

I feel for your pain - though I will never experience this because I keep my over priced notebooks in a dust free, liquid free, air free, sealed / locked room, it takes my finger print to enter the panic room. Yep.

Hopefully the OP has figured out what to do.. it's been 3 years.. :D

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Yes!

Bikes are the BEST! Just watch out for aggressive cabs and drunk drivers though!

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
well you should first remove the key caps and clean it all out, then take apart and check if anything made its way through. If all seems good but keys still do not work take it to apple for diagnosis. If they void warranty you will at least know what parts gone. But i have seen apple accepting warranty even if 1 sensor is red but they have no visual signs of liquid damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.