Spilled Coke over my new MacBook Pro!!! WHAT DO?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by izimzis, Sep 25, 2010.

1. izimzis macrumors member

I spilled some coke over my mbp. Luckily i flipped it back over a.s.a.p and it's still working perfectly. Now i notice that the buttons in the right down corner of the keyboard are very sticky due to the coke.
    So apparently some coke went through. Will it make more damage in time? Do I have to open it up and clean it in a special way, or will it just decrease in time? What hardware is lying under the right down corner and can it be affected? I mean it should not get worse or should it?

I'm seriously ****ing worried, stupid **** wont happen again, im really pissed at myself -.-

Well i'm going to continue googling, but it would be great if i could get some answers, because i seriously cant sleep right now.

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Turn it off. Turn it over. Leave it for 2 days.

3. izimzis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the fast replies, i already Read about those Tips and it really Sounds good. But how can i clean the Keyboard and is there anything Else i can do right now but wait? I Feel so helpless :-(

4. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

just snort it off... Oh your talking about the soda

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pray

Its basically out of your hands at this point

6. DJ-R macrumors regular

i did that to my old laptop... lol it was pepsi.

it's a PC notebook but I ended up open the while notebook to clean it completely even it's under warranty.

7. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

You can also ride on a pogo stick through London, singing various hymn's backwards while firing rockets from your butt in the hope that a giant ninja alien Panda will save your MacBook.

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If it were me and it's just the keyboard, I'd remove the keyboard and try washing it. Of course, I'd need to let the keyboard sit somewhere and dry completely before putting it back.

Worse case scenario would be the keyboard dies in which case I'd have to buy a replacement.

This is all assuming none of the soda made it to any other parts of the laptop...

9. izimzis thread starter macrumors member

Hilarious, but seriously is there no Way to clean the keyboard?
    On ifixit there Seems to Be no Guide, so basically the Keyboard will always stay As sticky As now?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Although there is no way to guarantee success and you can end up damaging the keys (and would have to buy replacement keys) you can disassemble the machine, remove each key individually and clean it with some rubbing alcohol. Its very long, very tedious, and if you remove a key wrong you could break the key.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You got lucky this time.

I'm not sure if your warranty is voided or not but Apple will probably void it.
    I would just open it up if you know its void for sure (but I can't answer that for you.)

You can find instructions here

Good luck with your computer and be careful next time :)

12. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

If you have the tools and know how. Take the battery out asap

13. sochrisash macrumors member

14. izimzis thread starter macrumors member

So i do understand it correctly that i will have to do a Complete teardown after i waited 3 days to remove the keys and clean them with Alkohol? DIHT now its just 3 keys that are sticky but i Read that it gets Worse after Time. Damn it, i barely Drink Coke ones or twice a Month and now this!

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Get a large quantity of uncooked rice. Stick MBP and rice into large receptacle of some kind, MBP upside down. The rice will absorb much of the moisture from the coke and expedite the process.

Diet drinks don't cause near the damage of sugary drinks, however.

16. izimzis thread starter macrumors member

It was Straight Coke. Is warranty void if only One Indikator is Red?

17. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

your supposed to snort coke? i thought u were supposed to lick it :O

18. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If you're going to take it apart anway, why wait 3 days for soda to settle and thicken?

Like I said, I'd just take it apart and wash it now. I wouldn't even bother with alcohol. I'd just use luke warm water.

19. youlookingatme macrumors newbie

Buy a new computer.

20. izimzis thread starter macrumors member

Well i dont think i have the needed Know how to clean the Keyboard. I got a mid 2010 mbp and so i have to do a Complete teardown to clean 7 keys of the Keyboard. Do you guys think i should do it anyway because the Sugar Gould brick my Device in Dome Time?

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You have some serious issues going on with 7 keys, not to mention other internal damage
    And leaving it without cleaning will only magnify the issues over time

I am not Apple, but yes, your warranty is voided, regardless of the sensors, because the liquid damage is obvious

You can attempt to clean it yourself, or you can have Apple or an Apple reseller do so, but my advice is to get it cleaned up

22. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Such a shame... get some contact cleaner, pull the KB out and clean up the mess.

Put your lappy on an m-stand or other device to raise it off the desk/table.

23. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

You would be suprised how many people throw out perfectly fine computers! I have had spilling issues with a few computers and the key is to not throw them out! After 7 months or so, one just started magically working again and has not missed a beat since! Same thing with many comps

24. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Sell it, but a PC they are cheaper to do coke with, that way you can afford more coke... are we talking about the same thing? Good luck