Spilled water bottle on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsmacx3, Aug 8, 2011.

1. itsmacx3 macrumors newbie

The sad truth is that this is not the first time I spilled water on my macbook pro.
    It happened last year, (After having it for a month) and after doing so, the thing wouldn't turn on AT ALL. So I ultimately had to pay for the 800$ replacement of a motherboard (or whatever).
    But last night, it happened AGAIN, but this time I knew better to shut the computer within 3 seconds of processing my idiotic mistake (as the computer made a weird noise and stuff). I immidiately turned it over and let it dry for about 20 minutes, before panicing and plugging in my cord. It worked, which was a good sign because last time it didn't! So then a couple of hours later after turning it over, I am now miraculously (THANK YOU GOD!!!!)typing this message on my beautiful macbook pro after a half a bottle of water spilt.
    NO NOTICABLE DAMAGE AT THE MOMENT.

My question is, Is it possible I got away scotts free, or will there be problems in the future? What should I do? If any actual damage happens in the future, that isn't water involved, will apple be rude with the warranty?

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Yes, it's possible that Apple could deny you warranty service if they notice water intrusion.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Most likely Apple will refuse to fix it for free because of the water damage even if you think the damage isn't related. You really should stop drinking near your computer though it would keep this from happening again.

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

There is nothing rude about it. Rude is expecting someone to fix something that you broke for free.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

buy moshi cleargaurd keyboard so u dont ******* up the keyboard aagain.

it wont gurentee saving ur keyboard from frying but it will help prevent and give u time to flip ur macbook over

i spilt soya sauce on mine but thank god future shop was kind enough to replace it for me with a new one last year XD

6. wpotere Guest

Lastly, 20 min is not near long enough for it to dry. If you got it in the keyboard there is likely water trapped in the plastic layers. You still are taking a chance at killing that computer. You need to have it taken apart and cleaned out.

7. Nocky24 macrumors member

You've been extremely lucky. I'd let it dry a lot longer than 20 minutes though and make sure there's no trapped moisture/water inside.

8. wpotere Guest

If it were mine, I would have taken it apart and cleaned it properly. ;)

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

(My emphasis.)

You're crazy to turn the thing back on after just 20 minutes. If you're unlucky, water droplets could be hanging from underneath the keyboard and fall onto the logic board from small vibrations like you typing or moving the laptop, killing your machine. Worst-case scenario is the battery short-circuiting and catching fire.

Li-Po battery fires are quite lively I would like to add, you wouldn't want to experience one. The ones I've seen have been cell phone batteries going up in flames. Laptop cells are much, much bigger and store a lot more energy...

You need to remove the back plate, let the computer dry out overnight at the very least. I'd leave it for a day or two minimum. Btw, I wouldn't recommend using a hairdryer on it, you could potentially cause heat damage to components and it would most likely be very ineffective anyway.

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Generally, if you spill water on a MacBook Pro, your best bet is to immediately power it down and remove the battery (if possible). It needs at least 24-48 hours to dry. If it were my Mac, I'd let it dry for three days.

11. itsmacx3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Op

well it's been 12 hours, and it's working perfectly fine, so there must be no damage?

12. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

13. itsmacx3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also if I remove the backplate, doesn't that make my warranty invalid anyway?

14. itsmacx3 thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean?

15. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

That doesn't exactly take Columbo to figure out.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You're assuming that since it's been 12 hours, it must be fine. There could still be water trapped inside. Everyone has said it should dry for at least 2-3 days. Any time I've ever spilled water on something electronic I let it dry for several days before even TRYING to see if it will work.

And if Apple can tell that it's gotten wet, they usually will not do any warranty work on it. Not sure if there still is, but there used to be a little questionnaire that the repair person fills out when you take it in for service, and it will ask if there is any obvious water damage.

Since this has happened twice now, PLEASE keep drinks as far from your computer as you can. Makes me sad to head about your poor MBP :(

17. wpotere Guest

Plus, you spilled water on it, your warranty is already voided!

18. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Because of OP's blatant disrespect for his expensive computer and for his ignorance of the advise of others on this board, I think that he deserves what he is going to get.

19. Ann P macrumors 68020

Why is it so hard to NOT eat or drink near your machine, especially since this is the 2nd time? I'm guessing with the ignorance, your parents paid for the device.

20. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I find it pretty simple to drink near my machines. I drank 1.5 liters of water near my machine today without any issue.

The problem some people have seems to be locating their beverage too close to their machine and keeping an open container.

21. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Isn't there an indicator that shows if water has gotten into the machine, or is that just on iPhones?

I would never set a drink close to my MBP, it's too valuable to risk my clumsy self or worse yet my clumsy hubby or one of the cats knocking a drink over! Do I drink or even eat while working on the computer? Yes, I do. I will usually set the drink on the floor and not near the computer and actually lean back so even if I were to spill it would go on me or the chair and not the computer!

As for the OP's questions about removing the back, of course you can remove the back! Both the hard drive and RAM are user-replaceable so why would removing the back void your warranty? Just don't go poking around back there in things that you don't know about!

22. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Yes, there are several little white circle adhesive stickers located at very locations within the MacBook Pro that turn red when exposed to liquid.

23. wegster macrumors 6502

This +100.

There is no way to tell just how much is trapped still inside the computer casing, on top of the keyboard PCB/layer, short of taking it apart. Turning it upside down will guarantee you have moisture on the underside of the keys which has to go somewhere now that it's 'right side up' again.

It's your laptop, but I'd be taking it apart, or at the VERY least attacking it with a hairdryer for 30+ minutes (ok, I'd be taking it apart no matter what, but 30 mins of forced heating still beats 'it's working, it's a miracle! *poof*')

24. itsmacx3 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's been on for 6 hours with no problems, so maybe there really is no damage.
    I don't even know HOW to open the back.
    If there was damage, would it not have shown up by now?
    And ha guys, I'm not brining liquid near ever again.
    Anyways isn't it even too late/pointless for me to even attempt to dry it out since I already used it?
    No need to be rude about my computer ignorance. :(

25. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

My friend spilt a milkshake over his macbook (near charging port) and it wouldn't turn on anymore. He went to the apple store talked to the guy and explained how he'd be screwed since he's going into university he was lucky enough the store took it in and fixed it for him, for free he told me the guy said he was going to charge him 600 :(