Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiki35

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
It's not pointless to dry it out and clean it at this point and it is still likely that you will have problems down the way. You need to remove the 10 screws on the back, remove the battery, hard drive, RAM and logic board. Very good instructions at Ifixit.com

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
You should have waited much longer for your mbp to dry out. Good thing it was water so corrosion will be minimal compared to soda. I would open your mbp up and see how it looks inside.

Your warranty is probably shot but at least your mbp is working now. You just run the risk of it just frying out randomly in the future and only waiting 20 minutes worsened this risk.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
It's been on for 6 hours with no problems, so maybe there really is no damage.
I don't even know HOW to open the back.
If there was damage, would it not have shown up by now?
And ha guys, I'm not brining liquid near ever again.
Anyways isn't it even too late/pointless for me to even attempt to dry it out since I already used it?
No need to be rude about my computer ignorance. :(

Being on for 6 hours will make little difference if the trapped water makes its way to the logic board. Damage could show up now or 6 weeks from now as water can cause corrosion. The best thing to do is open it up and clean it properly. If you can't do it, I recommend taking it to a shop for them to do. If you keep using it, you could end up with a paper weight!

itsmacx3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
So if I have problems in the future, like say, my screen blows out or something, or anything UNRELATED to the water damage, apple won't fix it?

itsmacx3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
I mean if there was damage, would it not have shown by now? It's been 24 hours, and I'm not moving my laptop from this position for a while, so there's no way of it being "spread" or something.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I mean if there was damage, would it not have shown by now? It's been 24 hours, and I'm not moving my laptop from this position for a while, so there's no way of it being "spread" or something.

If you tripped one of the water sensors or they see evidence of water damage, no, they won't repair it for free. Your warranty is voided due to liquid damage, you should simply except that.

You clearly are not listening.... Mineral deposits in water is corrosive and will start to corrode anything it touched. Having it cleaned will stop this from happening. Even if you don't move it water can still seep to various areas and cause damage. Clearly it is a risk you are willing to take.

ablack774

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
Scotland
If this was my MacBook, i would have straight away dried it out as best as i could. Then would have gone and bought Silica Gel beads and put them a box with the macbook and leave it for a few days. Silica Gel absorbs moisture so you have a better chance of getting all of the inside of the computer dry.

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008

accidents happen... so don't take it so hard :)

and don't let these guys ruin ur day... lol

basically if u spill water and if ANY of the liquid damage indicators (they are tiny white stickers inside of ur macbook) go off (they turn red) then apple will note that the computer was damaged by water and ur warranty will be void (if u had applecare on the laptop that will also be void).

basically from now on u should use ur macbook very carefully so that you don't have to take it to apple for repair...

if the computer is working fine, which it seems to be, then you probably have no internal damages in the computer (such as logic board, speakers, ram, etc.). the only thing is it will prob have water dry spots inside the case.

u should be glad it was just water... if mineral water, soda, shake, etc. got in, the damage might have been worse. (for example sugar would leave a nasty residue)

itsmacx3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
@head honcho 123

Thank you so much. I need to try to be more careful. :| But you're saying, even if my screen cracks, apple won't repair it..?

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Thank you so much. I need to try to be more careful. :| But you're saying, even if my screen cracks, apple won't repair it..?

When would Apple repair a screen crack? AppleCare is not insurance, it is a warranty. Warranties generally do not cover accidental damage.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010

If your screen cracks it will hardly be Apple's fault so no, they won't repair it. It would be this way even if it was under warranty.

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008

let's just have a hypothetical event...

let's just say apple had shipped you a bad screen (there's a chip on the glass... very VERY SMALL, you didn't notice, but the crack sudden got bigger!!! lol)

even in this case... if the liquid indicator has been triggered they will not fix your screen. the warranty (and apple care) is for your entire computer. the liquid indicator VOIDS the warranty... ur entire computer... just because the screen being broken is apple's fault, they will still not repair ur computer under the warranty because your warranty is VOID due to the liquid damage.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

i recommend buying something of a hard shell case (incase or someone else) to further protect ur macbook... (since u can't really use apple's warranty...)

the above is entirely my OPINION... maybe the liquid indicators haven't gone off... :)

u can check by unscrewing the bottom case.

depending on ur macbookpro, there is usually 2 indicators... one is under the battery on top of the trackpad and another near the lower middle of the entire computer... near the bottom of the logicboard to battery cable.

if it's white... you're good. if it's red... you're not good.

itsmacx3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
well gutys you were right ..not even my cord lights up. my computer shut off when i was using it. too scared to tell my mom:(

----------

now i guess its too late for drying

itsmacx3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
even though the cord no longer works, i turned it on quickly to check for hope, and it came on with loud breathing noise. i quickly turned it off. what do i do? sorry for being an ignorant teenager. :(:(:(:(

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Here's what you can do. There are third party Mac repair shops that are still around. They have certified Apple technicians working for them, at most shops. There really good technicians, sometimes better then the ones at the Apple store :eek: sometimes.

You can go into them and say hey I'd like to talk to, IDK the service manager, or maybe the store manager. So you say hey, you know last night I spilled water in my Mac and I'm worried that I might have damaged it. I'd like to know what you charge to open it, inspect it and clean it.

Sometimes you didn't do any damage and it needs to be cleaned and dried, and it will work just fine. The shop may not have to report it, and you may, just possibly be okay.

Now then this is never 100%, sometimes the water gets in there and damages something. Sometimes months to a year later something happens and you take it to Apple and they say, "My Computer is broken and I would like you to fix it under Applecare." The tech goes to look at it and he says something like," Aha!, they got this wet, and I can tell they got this wet, so you are no longer covered by Applecare on this machine."

Then they type that in their data base and hit save and you're screwed permanently on that machine.

Honest story. I open a iBook years ago. I find milk, I so hope it was milk. I call the customer and say ,"Sorry this isn't covered by Applecare, and, here's the estimate to repair it." Then I'm told that there's no way milk could have gotten in there( :(, oh I hope its milk). I get into an argument with this person etc etc........... Long story short, liquid spills are liquid spills, they void the warranty period, and you can tell years later too if you know what to look for.

Last edited:

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
Put your MBP into a sealed, air tight container or bag and cover it with dry rice, leave it for 3-5 days at least.

Cheapest and safest option to remove any residual moisture that maybe still inside your MBP.

hammten

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
sorry for being an ignorant teenager. :(:(:(:(

Suck it up, tell your mom.... Next time listen to the people you ask. You were told at least a dozen times that you didnt wait long enough and what to do. I would say that if it no longer lights up at the magsafe port, it is your logic board.

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
even though the cord no longer works, i turned it on quickly to check for hope, and it came on with loud breathing noise. i quickly turned it off. what do i do? sorry for being an ignorant teenager. :(:(:(:(

Hey man, I feel sorry for you (I spiled on a mbp before) but you really should have listened to what multiple people on this forum were telling you.

The second the water was spilt you should have instantly flipped the computer over and hit the power button as fast as you could. Then you should have opened your mbp and cleaned up all the water. If you are not capable of doing that then you should have taken it to an apple authorized repair center for them to do it for you.

The water that fell through the mbp probally took a while to move around inside and touch some part of the logic board and with you still using the computer was a ticking time bomb. It would have been even better if you would have just turned off your computer and waited 48-72 hours for your computer to dry out because no electrical current would be running through it.

Your logic board is probally fried again and most likely will put you out another 800. Hopefully, this will be a good lesson and will turn out ok for you.

jp33

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. See my thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13181347&posted=1#post13181347

I feel lucky that mine didn't turn on at all because if it had I wouldn't have taken it in and if I had problems down the line I don't know if I would have necessarily connected them with the spill. The genius said that while there was no visible corrosion on my logic board, it can happen over time. The water I spilled even got to the power button and possibly to my display connector which is potentially still at risk though that was not replaced. If you start getting lines across your display it means there was damage to the connector.

I am happy you were able to turn it on again and it appears to be working fine right now. I hope you do not have any issues in the future with it but don't be surprised if you do.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida

If there's water damage, they won't cover anything on or around it. That's just how they work. But you should definitely take some time and wait; I'd wait at least 2 days with it in rice, before using the laptop.

If there is moisture or water inside the machine you are going to have problems.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You stop being irresponsible and clumsy, and get a job to pay for your new one. If I were your parent you'd get an earful and a half, and I sure as hell would never buy you an electronic device ever again.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
well gutys you were right ..not even my cord lights up. my computer shut off when i was using it. too scared to tell my mom:(

Buddy, I feel really bad for you, and I guess it won't help much at this stage to say "we told you so!", but we did tell you so.

Let this be a lesson to you, don't be stoopid with expensive electrical devices. Water and electronics don't mix.

Also, bite the bullet. Tell your mom, she's gonna find out anyway eventually; moms always do... -_- Better to be straight with her than try to cover it up, that'll just make her (more) mad at you.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
You stop being irresponsible and clumsy, and get a job to pay for your new one. If I were your parent you'd get an earful and a half, and I sure as hell would never buy you an electronic device ever again.

Meh, **** happens. Just yesterday my friend knocked over a cup of coffee that (thank God) fell behind me and onto the wall behind my chair. It could have easily fell on top of my MBP.

Of course, if that happened, some serious **** would have gone down.

But yea, I ALWAYS either cap my water bottles (have one 4 inches to the left right now but it's capped) or put them up higher than my computer, out of reach. I tend to make quick movements to catch things or do whatever near the computer and I've knocked over my fair share of drinks.

But yea, just let this be a lesson learned for the future. These things are too expensive to subject to accidents. Way too expensive. come to think about it, aside from furniture/paintings/jewelry, my comp is the most expensive thing in the house and I'm pretty sure it is in others as well. Hell you can get a big HDTV for half a baseline MBP.

itsmacx3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
update: I went to the Apple store genius, and it turns out all I needed was a new chord...:rolleyes: so it works well!
and they ran a diagnostic test and everythings perfect.

any advice or was i just blessed??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.