Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I wont lie, I dont want a rootkit on my machine BUT I'd take this over Aspyr and other game makers BS "insert cd to play" nonsense. This is a godsend to be able to click a game whenever I want and not have to put in a disc.

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS PEOPLE! :p

BTW, Why is no one confirming or denying if there is a root kit? I am assuming NO ONE has a clue. It's doubtful they would have a Root Kit since the game runs in CIDER technology and isn't really OS X native.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I wont lie, I dont want a rootkit on my machine BUT I'd take this over Aspyr and other game makers BS "insert cd to play" nonsense. This is a godsend to be able to click a game whenever I want and not have to put in a disc.

But there is a delay as it contacts the server.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
what is root kit then? lol I don't understand what everyone is so angry about here.

mntbikejack

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
Delaware
Anyone try to play spore without an admin privileges account? It will not work for my kids unless I give then admin privileges. I don't like that.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Anyone try to play spore without an admin privileges account? It will not work for my kids unless I give then admin privileges. I don't like that.

I'm playing Spore under a managed account. It's my computer, but I set up a separate admin account a long time ago and my primary is a managed account. Spore installed and plays with no issues for me.

Darkspork

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
Screw Securom!

I installed Spore (legally) on my macbook as well. I have noticed nothing screwy so far, except that the DVD drive seems slower than usual, and also the computer is unusable for about 3 minutes after Spore exits.

Does anyone know a crack for the Mac version that will allow me to activate as many times as necessary but still access online content? EA's customer support people are... well... idiots, "No Men" if you will, and I want something that I can pick up in 10 years and still be able to play. Sim City 2000 and Sim Copter are games I still play, and I would rather not be left with a beautiful $50 coaster to remind me of how much of an idiot I am.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I bought it the day it came out and haven't really noticed anything different or weird. I was never really worried about it that much, anyways, even though a lot of people are refusing to buy it because of it. One thing that does bother me is the fact that it's being marketed as DRM, which though it may be, it's pretty inefficient. Hell, the game was being pirated a week before it came out and that's good DRM? **** me. So, what we're left with, as usual, is the people who actually pay for the game being screwed, and the pirates get to prance around, tralalala, with their SecuROM and rootkit-less copies of Spore. All of my friends pirates the game, and I was the only one who actually paid for it. It really sucks that I'm the one who's being punished out of all of us.

One of them said they were going to send a package with $40 in it to EA, with no return address or name or anything, or any reason for sending it. He said it was to pay for the game, and the last $10 is what he judged the SecurROM and online play to be worth. Of course, I know he's not going to do that. Anyways, while the idea seems enticing and almost legitimate, I'm not that naive. Part of being able to play their game is agreeing to their terms, which includes buying a legit copy of the game for $50, and not tampering with their installer.

The whole idea is stupid, either way.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If the game was fun I still wouldn't go near this because of the DRM. What a travesty of gaming is and if it's a sign of more to come then I guess I'll be playing console only games.
Either way it's just another reason for me not to buy another EA game. Who's to say they won't add this to other upcoming games?

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
If the game was fun I still wouldn't go near this because of the DRM. What a travesty of gaming is and if it's a sign of more to come then I guess I'll be playing console only games.
Either way it's just another reason for me not to buy another EA game. Who's to say they won't add this to other upcoming games?

You mean like EA's next big release, RA3? Although EA's current spin, is that it's more lenient; it allows 5 installs. The rest of the DRM is the same, though. Another game I'll pass on.

I was really looking forward to Spore, but have held off because of these issues. The only downside, is that EA will probably attribute any drop in sales to piracy, not protest. I find this quite laughable seeing as they are making such a big deal over the DRM preventing copy, yet Spore is currently one of the most torrented games. Ho ho. They ought to take a look at StarDock's DRM-less releases.

I'm hoping that BioWare convince them to leave Dragon Age alone, but I think that's a diminishing hope. It looks like I'll be sticking to playing older PC games, and console only titles.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Well the way EA is headed they'll DRM the console releases too.

EA sucks.

Badfrog88

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
New Mac user here. My wife installed Creature Creator (CC) on her MacBook Pro for our daughter to use before I heard about the "issues".

...I took a look around the Creature Creator files and a Securom folder is dropped at:

/Users/Chris/Library/Preferences/SPORE/Creature Creator/Preferences/p_drive/User/Application Data/SecuROM

However, that looks more like a remnant of what the install would look like on Windows than anything.
... I don't want a potential rootkit on my machine.

Just out of curiosity, I moved the SecuROM folder to the desktop and started CC. At first, I thought it hung at the EA splash screen, but it finally loaded. After exiting, I found it had rewritten the folder.

If anyone's feeling equally adventurous, there is a rootkit detector for OS X. Curious to see if it finds anything: http://www.christian-hornung.de/

Tried it. Everything seems OK with the exception of the following warnings:

-e [15:33:19] Warning: Syslog configuration file allows remote logging: install.* @127.0.0.1:32376

-e [15:33:25] Warning: Hidden file found: /usr/share/man/man5/.rhosts.5.gz: gzip compressed data, was ".rhosts.5", from Unix, last modified: Sat Nov 24 16:15:22 2007

And here is the summary:

e [15:33:27] System checks summary
-e [15:33:27] =====================
[15:33:27]
-e [15:33:27] File properties checks...
-e [15:33:27] Required commands check failed
-e [15:33:27] Files checked: 80
-e [15:33:27] Suspect files: 0
-e [15:33:27] Rootkit checks...
-e [15:33:27] Rootkits checked : 77
-e [15:33:27] Possible rootkits: 0
-e [15:33:27] Applications checks...
-e [15:33:27] Applications checked: 6
-e [15:33:27] Suspect applications: 0
-e [15:33:27] The system checks took: 53 seconds
-e [15:33:27] Info: End date is Tue Sep 16 15:33:27 CDT 2008

Any thoughts from the more experienced users?

Darkspork

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
IT'S A ROOTKIT (But not what you think)

The Securom software IS IN FACT rootkitted to your computer. However, it's not what you'd expect. When you run the Spore app, it's actually a heavily modified version of WINE. Running the Spore app boots up a Windows XP virtual machine within the app. THAT VIRTUAL MACHINE HAS A ROOTKIT. I also found a readme file for SecuROM written by someone with poor spelling.

"PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THE FILES IN THIS FOLDER BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE ESSENTIAL DIGITAL RIGHTS.
READ BELOW"

Loose = not tight.
Lose = not win.
Rights = not what this software does. It does restrictions.
...and yet somehow Sony still sells this.

Anyway, I figured this out when Spore crashed in an odd way, revealing a Windows XP desktop. Therefore, the developers didn't ACTUALLY make Spore run on a mac natively. They just WINEd it. That's low, my friends. That's low.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The Securom software IS IN FACT rootkitted to your computer. However, it's not what you'd expect. When you run the Spore app, it's actually a heavily modified version of WINE. Running the Spore app boots up a Windows XP virtual machine within the app. THAT VIRTUAL MACHINE HAS A ROOTKIT. I also found a readme file for SecuROM written by someone with poor spelling.

"PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THE FILES IN THIS FOLDER BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE ESSENTIAL DIGITAL RIGHTS.
READ BELOW"

Loose = not tight.
Lose = not win.
Rights = not what this software does. It does restrictions.
...and yet somehow Sony still sells this.

Anyway, I figured this out when Spore crashed in an odd way, revealing a Windows XP desktop. Therefore, the developers didn't ACTUALLY make Spore run on a mac natively. They just WINEd it. That's low, my friends. That's low.

WOW! That is just pathetic. I guess from the security stand point though it is good.

Last week I bought Spore. I left it in the bag and spent a couple days checking out posts and reviews online. Finally after seeing that the reviews were very mediocre. I decided all the rootkit stuff was not with it if the game reviews were so bad and returned the game.

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
And it took a useless post for you to point that out?

Look through the thread again and you will see no mention of Amazons ratings or a link to it other than mine.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I realize the issue is "us" versus "them", the freedom to control a product you own, versus the game creator's fear of piracy. There is a fundamental problem when you penalize honest users to protect yourself. If you own it, you should be able to sell it. If they want us to rent it, then they should say so up front. Refusing to buy such a game, may have an impact if enough people pass on purchase. And I resent Steam, another onerous authentication system.

However, I don't know the answer. Possibly being more flexible when it comes to shifting a game to a new account? I like the ability to sell a used game when I've finished it. I suspect as time goes by this ability will disappear for honest users and it makes me view console games (which are resellable) and cracks for PC/Mac games in a more favorable light. My intent is not to become a bootlegger and illegally distribute the game but to simply recover some of my investment as I do with many resale-able items I own.

Is there an answer that is good for both the distributer and the end user?

nubee

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
Last week I bought Spore. I left it in the bag and spent a couple days checking out posts and reviews online. Finally after seeing that the reviews were very mediocre. I decided all the rootkit stuff was not with it if the game reviews were so bad and returned the game.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now. LOL I just bought the game tonight, but I'm thinking I may return it.

Does anyone have any news on the lawsuit against EA?

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I almost bought this game the other day and am glad I didn't. I'll have to hear something really positive abo this to get me to pony up. Here's my problem from what I've read:

A) DRM is B.S.! I have never minded having to insert the CD while playing a game (all Blizzard titles etc) but don't think there should be any limit as to how many people in your household play it. Hell, if I want to lend it to a friend I should be allowed to as well as long as they get the disc. I have paid for it afterall. I'm all for these companies protecting their investments but there's a better way w/o punishing the honest people who buy their products.

B) Dumbed down? Seriously? Wow thats lame. So if I have read correctly they've taken all the 'evolution' element away so that it doesn't affect your character, only stats do. Evolving your creature is just cosmedic? lame.

C) Rootkit. wtf?!? Stay OUT of our computers EA!!!

If all this is true they can piss off. I'll spend my money elsewhere thank you very much. Love to hear more abo this lawsuit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.