Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrispE00

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2016
I’m a Apple Music user since day 1 and I think this is great, especially for households with people who insist on using Spotify ?. I don’t see the appeal of Spotify when you can’t upload songs that aren’t in Spotify, like you can in Apple Music.
But this is still good news for these multi-service households.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
This is something that might make me a little more interested in Homepod, but still probably not enough. If they were smart and if there is new Homepod hardware coming out, they'd roll these improvements out together. Do not make it exclusive to the new hardware though, that'll just piss everyone off.

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
Open the gates Apple. :) I’d consider a HomePod if that’s the case. Simply for the studio to listen to Spotify and handle conf calls.

Reactions: cashville2400

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Good to hear. Good on Apple.
it’s Apple‘s own platform. One that they risked a lot to bring to market by allowing 3rd party developers to bring their ideas and create a marketplace that would enrich the platform benefit everyone.

I’m not going to get into whether it’s ok to take the innovative ideas by the small developers who created many of these apps and try to take a bigger cut by selling similar things themselves. And we could perhaps overlook that fact if they would at least give the ones who’s ideas they were inspired by, to have an equal footing and be able to compete solely on merit and nothings else.

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
Finalllllly!!! I will own one or a few Homepods if this happens. I prefer to use Spotify and that is my choice. No debate for me.

This gives the consumer more options and that is good for us and also good for Apple’s business. Win win

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
The lack of SpotifyConnect is the only reason I am not getting a HomePod. Here is hoping for a future update. Fingers crossed.

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've always wondered why AirPlay doesn't suffice for everyone? You can stream anything via AirPlay to HomePod using the full UI and touch capabilities of your iPhone. Whereas w/HomePod you have one input method...your voice. Even if that input method was perfect, it's not as convenient and speedy as a touch screen.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I've always wondered why AirPlay doesn't suffice for everyone? You can stream anything via AirPlay to HomePod using the full UI and touch capabilities of your iPhone. Whereas w/HomePod you have one input method...your voice. Even if that input method was perfect, it's not as convenient and speedy as a touch screen.

Agree. Do people really have turntables and tuners they want to source into HomePod? Many TV's now have AirPlay or can be used with an Apple TV box.

Personally, I have yet to run across a situation where my HomePods not having a line input has been an issue. Though for sure I could easily manufacture a what-if situation that would never apply to me, just to argue a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008

Not everyone carries their phone with them 24/7. When I get home my phone goes on the charger, hopefully not to be seen until the next morning. Besides, what if you are a house with multiple people or have kids who don't have a phone. I thought the point of the HP was to be a stand alone device and not an accessory to the iPhone?

Agree. Do people really have turntables and tuners they want to source into HomePod? Many TV's now have AirPlay or can be used with an Apple TV box.

Personally, I have yet to run across a situation where my HomePods not having a line input has been an issue. Though for sure I could easily manufacture a what-if situation that would never apply to me, just to argue a point.

How about as an output for a TV? Not everyone (and likely still a vast majority of people) watches TV exclusively through an AppleTV. People still watch cable, use a Roku, or even use built-in Apps. Just because the HP is "perfect" for your use case, doesn't make other use cases manufactured.

Reactions: V_Man

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Would this fix the 2-3 delay in changing songs?
[automerge]1582241062[/automerge]
I’m fine with Apple Music. I know others aren’t.

I just don’t see the allure of Spotify—they all have the same songs.

It's Spotify's music discovery that draws people. Not sure if Apple has implemented something similar.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And when this happens I may then buy a HomePod
too little too late... I sold my 3 homepods. The apple lockin was just shocking.

And for all those in this thread stating if Apple allows Spotify or their choice of music player/streaming service to be default for music on their iOS device that would lead to purchasing a HomePod I all hogwash!

I mean what have you been doing for 2yrs prior to this news and what speakers have you already purchased and using since then?! Not likely you'll sell a cheaper Sonos One or much older Sonos Play: 3 or Play: 5 having similar sound quality to the HomePod to puchase a new / few HomePods ... not likely, possibly but I'm not buying that Rhetoric.

I'd love to see it and my opinion on this proven wrong still.

Reactions: Bystander and I7guy

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Spotify has ad supported free version.

LOL the free version may not be as well not exist. The ad is so annoying and will interrupt the experience severely.

I loved Spotify, but switched to Apple Music almost 3 years ago and never looked back. Apple's goal was luring as much as Spotify user and make them not looking back by Siri integration, homepod and Watch support. Music app is the #1 priority on iOS background task management. Close Spotify for a few minutes and iOS will kill the app and forgetting your last played track.

In short, if you're a dedicated, full-time Apple user, use Apple Music. Spotify will always be a visitor in iOS club. Used it for some time, it works okay and play music, but nothing more.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
LOL the free version may not be as well not exist. The ad is so annoying and will interrupt the experience severely.

I loved Spotify, but switched to Apple Music almost 3 years ago and never looked back. Apple's goal was luring as much as Spotify user and make them not looking back by Siri integration, homepod and Watch support. Music app is the #1 priority on iOS background task management. Close Spotify for a few minutes and iOS will kill the app and forgetting your last played track.

In short, if you're a dedicated, full-time Apple user, use Apple Music. Spotify will always be a visitor in iOS club. Used it for some time, it works okay and play music, but nothing more.

HUGE importance here.

I completely forgotten that Apple's applications take precedence and remain running in the background for updates or actions (vs updates of new data since you can somewhat limit by disabling background refresh like we can on 3rd party apps). After Apple's apps ... then VOIP apps can continue to operation or 'listen' for inbound calls/messages/tags for voicemail notifications in the background even after 10mins ... iOS' usual background (3rd party) app cut-off time limit.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
HUGE importance here.

I completely forgotten that Apple's applications take precedence and remain running in the background for updates or actions (vs updates of new data since you can somewhat limit by disabling background refresh like we can on 3rd party apps). After Apple's apps ... then VOIP apps can continue to operation or 'listen' for inbound calls/messages/tags for voicemail notifications in the background even after 10mins ... iOS' usual background (3rd party) app cut-off time limit.

Exactly my point, small details but important. Say you're playing Spotify for morning workout, then stop and go to work. Later in the afternoon you plug your headphones again and press play on headphone button (without touching the phone), boom it already killed Spotify and opens up Music instead.

Do it a few times for days, weeks and and you'll start resenting Spotify for not staying in the background. This is one small barrier that may never make me switched back to Spotify, for as long as I'm using iOS. I doubt Apple would "fix" this issue with iOS 14. I'd think that it's actually by design.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2017
How is HomePod not allowing third party music services anti-competitive? Spotify can make their own speaks if they want.

Machead2012

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
I am no fan of Apple Music even to the point that I never once took advantage of the many free 3 month trial offers every time I purchased a new Apple product. Spotify totally trashes it. No contest.

Reactions: cateye
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.