Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
This is the same thing that happened with Last Podcast on the Left and all of the other shows on their network. Regardless of it being free my issue is that I don't use Spotify for music and I feel that their app is trash when it comes to Podcasts. Pocket Casts has been my go to and very annoyed that I have to use 2 different apps to listen to this stuff. Plus the adds suck now. I enjoyed listening to Ben, Henry and Marcus read ads, especially Henry.

Reactions: jons and Websnapx2

RodSerlingLives

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2017
Ansonia, CT
I will be listening. I have been an avid listener for a few years now. This move comes from the fact that YouTube demonetizes way too many things. It has been a complaint on his show, but also a litany of other podcasts. If you talk about a controversial subject, you risk losing ad revenue. You can barely joke about some things because even comedy is policed. YouTube is becoming old media. They are increasing censorship and Google itself has been co-opted by traditional media sources. They want to be completely corporate friendly. Rogan won’t be the last high profile podcaster to ink a deal with Spotify. It doesn’t mean YouTube is dying, but it is continuing to chip away at its own content providers.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Joe Rogan looked into the camera and told his fans it will be free on Spotify.

If you have to pay $10/month... that will be a huge mistake.

Spotify has free ad-supported accounts and paid premium accounts. I doubt a decade-old free podcast would immediately go behind a paywall.

Plus... the article said Spotify is working with an ad agency to sell ads alongside the show. So, to me, it sounds like it will available to free accounts (and premium users wouldn't get ads)

See @ 0:40

So what does Spotify get out of it if it will be available to free ad-supported accounts? Are they thinking using Spotify to get his podcast might translate some of those listeners to paid Spotify users?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is the podcast world very slowly becoming the new TV world where you need a gazillion different subscriptions to get all shows? Will I need 5-10 different podcast players in a few years?

Crazy that a single podcast made the Spotify stock jump 8% yesterday. I read rumors about Joe getting 100 million bucks for the deal.
Isn‘t this a little similar to Howard Stern moving to satellite radio? I would assume he lost listeners but whatever Sirius offered him was enough money to make it worth his while.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
So what does Spotify get out of it if it will be available to free ad-supported accounts? Are they thinking using Spotify to get his podcast might translate some of those listeners to paid Spotify users?

If popular podcasts become Spotify exclusives, some people might make Spotify their podcast app. And some of them might then prefer the paid version.

Reactions: raybo and Okasian

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
A move off of Google/YouTube is a good thing. I hope their censorship practices begin their downfall.

I get the second thing you were saying, but the moment Rogans Podcast is removed from YouTube and free podcast apps I use, it doesn't exist for me. I hope he gets his $100 million gazillion, he deserves, and that contract is independant of number of streams, because it will fall off significantly.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Isn‘t this a little similar to Howard Stern moving to satellite radio? I would assume he lost listeners but whatever Sirius offered him was enough money to make it worth his while.
Sirius paid Stern $100M/yr for 5 years to switch.

Reactions: etios

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

I said:

"Plus... the article said Spotify is working with an ad agency to sell ads alongside the show."

Why would they need to sells ads if the only people who could listen to the show are paid Spotify Premium customers? They don't get ads. :)

My guess is... a 2+ hour podcast from Rogan will be a great place to shove in many ads.

And like someone else said... music costs Spotify a TON of money in licensing fees. So every minute someone is listening to a podcast is a minute that Spotify doesn't have to pay royalties to a record label.

So... a long-form show with spaces for many ads... plus money saved by not having to pay music licensing... and yes... possibly converting free users to paid subscriptions... these are reasons why Spotify would offer Joe Rogan to its free customers.

And look... Joe Rogan has probably been dealing with Spotify for months making this deal. I'm sure he didn't accidentally say it would be free in his first announcement. :p

Reactions: etios and raybo

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This move comes from the fact that YouTube demonetizes way too many things. It has been a complaint on his show, but also a litany of other podcasts. If you talk about a controversial subject, you risk losing ad revenue.

When did "podcasts" become a Youtube thing anyway? :p

It used to be a couple microphones and an RSS feed.

I understand what you're saying about censorship. But that's up to the platform owner... in this case Youtube.

If you build your camp on someone else's land... you gotta play by their rules. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
While I applaud Joe for sticking it to YouTube, I primarily listen to podcasts through my AppleWatch while running each day through the podcast app. I am not going to start trying to manage multiple apps for multiples of different podcasts. I fully admit that I am in the Apple walled garden and if an app isn't conveniently accessible through the podcast app then I won't be listening. Best of luck to Joe but it means that I wont be listening after the change. If he did get $100 million, he doesn't need luck though.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Here's Joe Rogan's statement directly from his Instagram profile.

If anyone still thinks it won't be free on Spotify... I hope this calms your fears... :p

joe-rogan-free.png

Reactions: etios and DeepIn2U

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
IMHO, Podcasts should be freely available via feed or direct download/streams, not requiring a specific vendor/silo. I hope this is not a successful trend. I don’t personally like Spotify and I would be annoyed to have to use them to access a podcast... It feels like AOL channels for the 2020s or something... yuck.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Currently, podcasts are free, but they don’t generate their creators any income either unless they are able to get sponsors. If Spotify can do for podcasts what YouTube did for video content (ie: offer an option for monetisation via ads), it could entice more podcasters to move their content over to Spotify, though I doubt most will ever make enough money to be worth their while.

Jax44

Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
Carmel, California
Joe Rogan looked into the camera and told his fans it will be free on Spotify.

If you have to pay $10/month... that will be a huge mistake.

Spotify has free ad-supported accounts and paid premium accounts. I doubt a decade-old free podcast would immediately go behind a paywall.

Plus... the article said Spotify is working with an ad agency to sell ads alongside the show. So, to me, it sounds like it will available to free accounts (and premium users wouldn't get ads)

See @ 0:40

But will he have to stop saying:
“ The motherf...ing Cash App”

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
well, it sucks that it is leaving youtube, but I am cool with spotify, but that is because it is what I use.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Good for Joe. I also like the fact that he is sticking it to YouTube.

However, as others have mentioned, I have no interest in Spotify or their app. If I can't get it through my Apple Podcasts app, I won't be listening.

It will be interesting to see what effect this will have on his audience in terms of numbers. Maybe it won't have any effect at all?

Reactions: Lowhangers

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
Wah.... just whining and crying with a sprinkling of positive comments. Oh my God! The horror of having to install another app!!! Oh no!!!! Last time I checked, app installation and switching between apps didn’t require a live sacrifice or blood oath to be made. Then again, I may be an iteration or two behind on my iOS updates. So the guy is attempting to cash in, so what? There isn’t a person in this forum who wouldn’t do exactly the same thing in his shoes. I’ve seen his comedy - it’s mediocre at best. His podcast is huge! If you’re a fan, support him. It’s still free, regardless of the platform. YouTube is terribly restrictive about content, and will demonetize a video in a half of a second with barely a reason given. As long as it doesn’t impact his content, what do I care?

Reactions: etios
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.