Spotify Web Player No Longer Compatible With Apple's Safari Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Spotify users on the service's Web Player have noticed that they can no longer listen to music in Apple's Safari browser, taking to Spotify's Community web page to discuss the incompatibility between Safari and Spotify's Web Player (via Mac Generation).

In a post published about the topic yesterday by user riegelstamm, it was pointed out that Spotify's system requirements page listed Safari 6 or higher as a supported browser for the Web Player. As of today, that same page has been updated and any mention of Safari has been removed, now only including Chrome 45+, Firefox 47+, Edge 14+, and Opera 32+.

When users visit the Spotify Web Player on Safari, they receive the message, "This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player. Switch browsers or download Spotify for your desktop."

[​IMG]

The same poster contacted Spotify customer support, which responded with a confirmation of Safari's removal from the Web Player's supported browser list.
    Riegelstamm further dug into the details of the Web Player, discovering that the discontinuing of Safari support might have something to do with Google's Widevine media optimizer plugin, which Spotify requires for music streaming on the web and Apple opposes due to potential security issues.

Instead, Spotify encourages users to download the compatible Mac app, or switch over to a supported browser. Although the lack of Safari support in the Web Player might be temporary, Spotify customer support told users that it "can't say if or when any specific features will be back."

Article Link: Spotify Web Player No Longer Compatible With Apple's Safari Browser

2. RCS31 macrumors regular

You have to ask yourselves, what technologies does chrome support that safari doesn't and why does safari not have those technologies?

3. whitesaint macrumors newbie

Wow, Spotify is stupid; I'm sure there's a lot of people (like me) that would rather just switch to another music service rather than give up the power efficiency of Safari.

4. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

5. joewhite macrumors newbie

joewhite

But if you change the user agent to iOS, it works fine

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why?

Its more like Apple's loss because of people want to use Spotify they'll just use chrome.

7. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

..or people will look at an alternative streaming service.

For a lot of music fans the only difference between these services is their accessibility.

8. Mascots, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

It literally says it in the article:
    To be fair, Spotify does have a slick app.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Freaking Tower of Tech Babel. All these pissing matches and the consumers are the ones that end up all wet.

10. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

Spotify's compatibility with various desktops and mobile has always been their strong point. I hope they can provide a solution in order to remain king of the music streaming services as it is preferred even over Apple's service.
    I am still using their desktop client on my PowerBook G4 & Power Mac G5. I'll have to check tonight to see if it is still working.

11. djeeyore25 macrumors regular

djeeyore25

Spotify still supports more web browsers than Apple Music.

12. bellang macrumors member

Or you’d just install the desktop client and continue to use safari and Spotify

13. diegov12 macrumors member

Mostly, google technology.. Like vp9.

14. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Confused, because WideVine's website clearly states that they support Safari on Mac OS X. Yet when you go to install it, it's only installed for Chrome. Guess Google hasn't updated their WideVine list of supported browsers? Was support removed at some point?

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2017 ---
    I see this as a non-issue for most people, since using Chrome alongside Safari is dead simple, PLUS they provide a desktop app. The only users this would affect would be those that only have Safari installed and don't have sufficient permission on the computer to install anything else.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

This issue shouldn't affect your desktop client. It only affects the web player via Safari.

16. cube macrumors G5

I am happy as long as the Qobuz app keeps working on BB10.

17. revfife macrumors regular

revfife

And this is why Spotify will still be my number 1 music player. I want access on all my devices (from my iPhone to my roku to my desktop at work to my Echo in the kitchen)

Apple doesn't understand the microcosm of music. People don't want it walled into a private garden that you can only access with a handful of devices.

18. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Wow, just wow.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's silly, dropping a streaming service because it doesn't run on Safari? Most people will be willing to drop a browser then a streaming service.

This is more true for web browsers, i.e., Chrome offers more compatibility and features then Safari, so people will be more willing to drop Safari

20. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Is using the native app not practical for you? Honest question, as I generally prefer native apps on the Mac.

21. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

I'm still waiting for their Apple Watch app..

22. mattynat macrumors newbie

Fortunately, you don't need to be an admin to use Chrome. Just mount the downloaded DMG and run off of that!

23. DaveMcM76 macrumors regular

DaveMcM76

Yeah because all of the millions Macs / Windows PCs that can run recent versions of iTunes, the however many hundred million iOS devices and countless other Android devices - you do know Apple Music is available on Android right? - is definitely only a "handful" of devices...

24. xero9 macrumors 6502a

If a Spotify is a die-hard Safari user, Spotify risks that user paying for another streaming server.

If a die-hard Spotify user decides to switch to Chrome, Apple doesn't really lose any monetary value.

This is a lose-lose for Spotify IMO.

25. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

This is strange. I think most people have the app anyway so no big deal.