Carrier Sprint drops subsidies, offer $25/month for unlimited talk, text, 1GB on Framily Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EbookReader, Jan 7, 2014.

1. EbookReader, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

EbookReader macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-Mobile USA offer better deals with 5 lines at $22 per line, though it only has 500MB vs 1GB on Sprint

1st line: $50
    2nd line: $30
    3rd line: $10
    4th line: $10
    5th line: $10

$22 per line at 5 lines

Each line will have unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of LTE and unlimited 2G

+ $10 to any line to upgrade to 2.5GB of LTE data
    + $20 to any line to upgrade to unlimited LTE data

Cost per line: 1 line, 2 line, 3 line, 4 line, 5 line

Sprint:... $55, $50, $45, $40, $35
    T-Mobile: $50, $40, $30, $25, $22

2. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5284718/sprint-framily-plans-share-mobile-price

$15 per month surcharge if you're using subsidy on Sprint.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd go with T-Mobile still.
    Thanks for the information.

4. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

5. 617aircav Suspended

This will not work well for sprint once people realize that that sprints iphone can't be unlocked to work on another domestic carrier.

6. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

That person can always sell the phone to another Sprint customer.

7. 617aircav Suspended

And loose a lot of money as the value of sprint phones are less. I don't see a reason to use sprint.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sprint is trying to hard to be something they won't be able to.

9. eyoungren, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint is trying very hard to get people like me to move off their grandfathered Everything Data unlimited plans.

The ED plans do NOT fit with the "new" Sprint because there are few limitations. And now that Softbank is running the show, they are creating limitations.

I have not looked at this Framily plan in depth, but anything that is placing limitations on me and charging me a fee to keep the unlimited data I already have, I'm not really interested in.

The My Way and All In plans already specify in the fine print that at 1GB Sprint "optimizes" video. No doubt that same thing is included in these plans. THAT is not in the old plans - my plan.

EDIT: Yeah, there we go…here's the fine print (copied from sprintusers.com)

"**Monthly charges exclude taxes & Sprint Surcharges [incl. USF charge of up to 16.4% (varies quarterly), up to $2.50 Admin. & .40 Reg. /line/mo.) & fees by area (approx. 5-20%)]. Surcharges are not taxes. See sprint.com/taxesandfees.

Offers end 3/3/2014. Activ. Fee: $36/line. Credit approval required. Framily Plan: Includes unlimited Nationwide Long Distance voice calling and texting, 1GB/mo./line on-network data allowance. Add’l data: 1.5 ¢ /MB. No add’l plan discounts apply. 3rd party content/downloads are add’l charge. Int’l svcs are not included. Pricing may vary for existing customers. Max of 10 phone lines per group. Excludes existing accounts and discounted phones w/term agmt. Group members must agree to share their names, last 4 of phone numbers, Framily ID, group status, and that they are subscribed to Framily Plan with group or be removed from group and asked to select another rate plan. Sharing Framily ID allows users to join group. Discounts: Awarded ($5-$30/mo./line) within 2 invoices (timing may vary based on different invoice cycles for Group members). Discounts not prorated. Groups cannot merge. 3 GB Buy Up: Includes 3GB/mo. on-network data allowance. Add’l on-network data usage 1.5¢/MB. Does not combine or stack with other data. Unlimited Data and Annual Upgrade Buy Up: Req. min.12 consecutive payments, new Installment Agreement, acct. in good standing, & give back of current eligible device in good & functional condition. After upgrade, remaining unbilled installment payments are waived. Usage Limitations: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps. Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100 MB or a majority of KB. Prohibited network use rules apply. Sprint Easy Pay: Req. 0% APR, 24 mo. Installment Agreement & qualifying device, service plan & credit approval. A down payment may be required. Down payment and unfinanced portion required at purchase. Sales taxes due at sale on full purchase price. If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. Other Terms: Coverage and offer not available everywhere. The Nationwide Sprint Network reaches over 278 million people. The Sprint 3G network reaches over 276 million people. Sprint 4G LTE network available in 300 markets on select devices. See Sprint.com/coverage for details. You can view the Sprint privacy policy at Sprint.com/privacy. May not be combinable with other offers. There is no minimum term associated with the Sprint Framily Plan, but the Service Agreement applies and automatically continues on a month-to-month basis unless you contact us to inform us of any changes, including cancellation. Restrictions apply. "

So…yes, video gets throttled after 1GB. And the roaming limit is 100mb.

Note that the part about priority bandwith availabilty and other plans is the same fine print in the My Way and All In plans.

Priority is given to the Everything Data plans still in use because these plans (my plan) do not have the limitations the new plans do.

10. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...ars-will-verizon-finally-take-bait/2014-01-09

In a research note, Jefferies analysts pointed out that Sprint's new plans largely mimic T-Mobile's existing Simple Choice and EIP plans, and are most likely a knee-jerk response to the fact that T-Mobile is taking customers away from Sprint at a rapid rate. At T-Mobile's media event at CES yesterday, T-Mobile CEO John Legere quoted porting ratio stats that seem to indicate that all carriers are taking a hit from T-Mobile.

11. m3nphls macrumors member

This won't really attract much people. Coverage is a joke and their LTE phones can't be use in other carriers like VZW ones.

12. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

What a waste why doesn't sprint get there network ready for prime time instead of tricking new customers into thinking they got a great deal

13. 617aircav Suspended

Sprint drops subsidies, offer $25/month for unlimited talk, text, 1GB on Fram...

How many people can find 6 friends to join them on a plan? Not easy. This plan will attract very few customers. Nobody is switching to sprint for this. It's near impossible to get to the $25 plan. I mean what's the difference between offering the $25 plan as a stand alone and offering as a framily plan with desperate bills? Offering $25 without the almost impossible requirement would actually have people flooding to sprint.

14. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

If Sprint does this, they would gain a lot of customers

1) NO MORE FAMILY PLAN, only INDIVIDUAL PLAN
    2) bring your own phone or finance your phone in monthly installment
    3) $30 a month: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 1GB of 4G data, throttled after

+ $5 for each additional 1 GB of 4G data

Family Plan is used to reduce churn (it's much harder to switch with a family plan). But at $30 a month, not a lot of people is going to switch unless they find Sprint coverage very unsuitable for them.

15. Prise macrumors regular

From my perspective, a few issues:

1) It's Sprint - worst speeds in the nation.
    2) CDMA - always deal breaker for me.
    3) 7 - 10 people - is this a joke?

Sounds good in principle to round up 7 - 10 people, but eventually, a few will bail for various reasons, and given the general uncertainty of life.

I can't imagine anyone whose privy to some of Sprint's deficiencies would opt for them.

16. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's why Sprint Framily Plan is not up to task to take on T-Mobile

3 lines on Sprint Framily: $135
    3 lines on T-Mobile: $90

4 lines on Sprint Framily: $160
    4 lines on T-Mobile: $100

5 lines on Sprint Framily: $175
    5 lines on T-Mobile: $110

It's no wonder that Sprint want to get rid of T-Mobile as a competitor. Lot of Sprint customers have ditched Sprint for T-Mobile.

17. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

I use a lot of data and have sprint LTE where I live. Thank God i just upgraded to iPhone 5s two weeks ago!

1gb of data today is pretty anemic.

18. 617aircav Suspended

19. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

You can add 3GB for another $10.

or

Unlimited data for $20

20. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

Is it throttled?

21. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Who, on average, has that many, 7-10 family members? Even if you recruited friends on this family plan, who would take responsibility that every person paid their $25 share of the bill. It's more headache than if you had 5 kids plus mom and dad or 3 kids with mom, dad, grandpa and grandma.

22. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Each person can get a personal bill @ $25.

23. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Why don't you like CDMA? Is it for technical reasons, or do you prefer GSM for its flexibility of being able to pop in a SIM card of another carrier - maybe for traveling?

24. Prise, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

Prise macrumors regular

Mainly for three reasons: (1) since I travel a couple of times to Asia, I'd like the option to change sims; (2) can't browse and talk simultaneously; and, (3) I really don't care for the closed system implemented by Sprint and Verizon, and can't stand having to ask them for permission for activation.

PS - I do prefer the voice quality and reliability of CDMAs over GSMs.