Sprint getting iPhone 5; ATT/Verizon get 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, Oct 3, 2011.

1. TSX, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. korndawg macrumors regular

3. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

4. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

5. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Geesh!

The rumors are really starting to spill in today. Seems anything is possible.

If true, and I doubt it, this would be Sprint's way of fighting competition in the iPhone Arena by attracting all of those that want the iPhone 5 right now to switch. I just don't see Apple doing this to AT&T and Verizon.

6. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

Looks like I will be switching to Sprint if this is true.

7. carrako macrumors regular

Theres just no way. $20 billion worth of iPhones.... Not believing this rumors. I just cant see Apple alienating all its Verizon and AT&T customer base just for sprint initial exclusivity.

8. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Verizon didnt ge t an exclusive why would sprint.

Plus sprint doesnt have 20 billion dollars.

9. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Tim Cook would be shot on-site. Not the best way to kick his CEO run off.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The beauty and the bane of the internet is that anyone can say or claim anything

11. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

im confused, why would this be a bad thing? sprint is very popular and with low prices could easily sell a lot.

12. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Isn't sprint abandoning WiMax to develop LTE with Clearwire? If so then this makes even less sense

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

WSJ: Sprint to 'Bet the Company' on iPhone

From the WSJ. Being selectively quoted by blogs but here's the full story.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

Well it's a bad thing for non Sprint customers.

15. stooley macrumors regular

Yea. Suppose to deploy next year. Makes very little sense.

16. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

been kinda down today since it does not look like we are getting an iPhone 5 tomorrow. this actually made me laugh. no way in he** this is true!

17. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Ok so this guy's "sources" are treating him like a little hand puppet. I mean come on...Sprint?

18. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

It's not impossible, but at the same time, it sounds highly improbable. The rumor about the next iPhone being a world iPhone has been persistent for quite a while now, and I think we are assuming it to be true.

But then why would Apple lock its "world" phone into a carrier? Doesn't really make sense.

Edit: Hold on a second... WSJ reported on this? Oh, damn....

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

this would never happen. Once ATT's deal was over with Apple began doing what they had to do to get the iPhone out there. They wouldn't back track into another exclusive deal- it would do nothing for Apple money wise.

I'm sure Sprint would love it, but I don't think it's even remotely possible.

20. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

My mind is blown. May just tune out until tomorrow at this point. WOW

21. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I'm really torn right now... on one hand, it's the WSJ. They speak volumes and don't usually open their mouths unless they're very sure of their sources.

On the other hand, I can't believe Apple would do this. There isn't a single iPhone 4 user out there that has completed their 2-year contract with AT&T or Verizon. They'd be pissing in the faces of every single iPhone 4 user by not allowing them to upgrade.

As much as I trust the WSJ, I'm calling BS. This just doesn't add up, and I don't think Apple would screw this many customers for a few extra bucks. IMO, they'd lose more in iPhone 5 sales than what they'd make from Sprint!

22. EddyP macrumors 6502

If they have an exclusive on a 4G iPhone, that's freaking huge. Their stock is down over 8% today. That will change if the exclusive rumor turns out to be true.

23. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

24. curitibagarrett macrumors member

Apple would lose even a bigger market share than they have been losing. This is almost suicide in the mobile market. It took apple over three years before they figured out having an exclusive contract with ATT was bad for business. With apples competitors coming out with some pretty kick ass phones and apple locking the 5 with sprint they would lose the market share even quicker.