Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Sprint will still run the ESN against it's whitelist regardless if they are using a CSIM or not. Tried my Sprint SIM in a Verizon 5c and no dice.

Correct. The only advantage of a Sprint CSIM so far is the ability to switch between other SPRINT PHONES that also use a CSIM, currently that's only iPhone 5s and up, and any future android manufactured after February 2015

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The biggest irony of all this is how Sprint would tell us before that it was IMPOSSIBLE to unlock their iPhones.

Turns out it's very possible; they just didn't want to and didn't do it until FORCED to.

Really, Sprint... get bent.

I'm just glad all those folks stuck with Sprint iPhones will now be able to use them on other carriers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The biggest irony of all this is how Sprint would tell us before that it was IMPOSSIBLE to unlock their iPhones.

Turns out it's very possible; they just didn't want to and didn't do it until FORCED to.

Really, Sprint... get bent.

I'm just glad all those folks stuck with Sprint iPhones will now be able to use them on other carriers.
Except for those of us still using the iPhone 4, 4s or iPhone 5.

The Sprint iPhone 4 has no SIM slot. Everything it needs for network access is on the logicboard.

The iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5 have a different version of SIM than the 5c, 5s, 6 and 6+. Consequently, they still cannot be unlocked.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
Just for kicks and grins yesterday, I tried my Sprint 5S SIM in my VZW 6.

The VZW 6 initially saw LTE, and I was able to get data in Safari working for a small while. About after 5 minutes, the "INVALID SIM" came up instead of "SPRINT" at the top. A minute or so later, the phone popup came up that saying something to the effect that the SIM had malfunctioned and I needed to reboot the iPhone. Rebooted the iPhone, lather, rinse, repeat. Data works for a little while on LTE before the stupid SIM crap starts happening.

When Sprint unlocks my 5S, I'm going to try my VZW 6 SIM in it just for kicks and grins.

Let us know the outcome of that one. I would assume the VZW sim in the Sprint 5s would work fine, since VZW SIM's work fine in AT&T and T-Mobile devices.

Sure would be nice if they would eliminate that whitelist requirement for CSIM devices. I'd love to give Sprint another chance, but i'm not spending another $750 on a phone just in the hopes that it works out better for me this time.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

The Sprint iPhone 4 has no SIM slot. Everything it needs for network access is on the logicboard.

The iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5 have a different version of SIM than the 5c, 5s, 6 and 6+. Consequently, they still cannot be unlocked.
This is correct. The iPhone 5 uses a USIM only for LTE access, and the sim was only for LTE. In this version the phone would theoretically still work without a SIM, as it was activated by its serial number.

iPhone 5s, 5c, 6, and 6+ uses a CSIM, which activates and authenticates both CDMA and LTE- the same implementation as Verizon, and international CDMA networks. This was formerly known as an RUIM card prior to LTE days. These devices will not function at all without a SIM card, similar to its GSM counterparts. Also these phones gain the ability to switch between Sprint phones simply by moving the SIM card from one device to another. Once the unlock is approved on the 19th, you can also go to Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile with no issues. You still can't take a Verizon phone to Sprint, though further reading proves this is something they're working on. Currently attempting to put a Sprint SIM into a Verizon iPhone produces an invalid SIM message after the phone tries multiple times to activate. Sprint white lists their IMEI/MEID to only allow "Sprint devices."

On another note, you can only take your Sprint iPhone to Verizon if you already have an existing account with them. They will NOT sell you just a SIM card. You CAN however start an account with a cheapie android phone and move the SIM over to your unlocked Sprint device or any other iPhone 6/6+, as they all have the CDMA bands in it, and it will work. The SIM card will tell the phone to "turn on those bands"

Last edited:

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
This is correct. The iPhone 5 uses a USIM only for LTE access, and the sim was only for LTE. In this version the phone would theoretically still work without a SIM, as it was activated by its serial number.

iPhone 5s, 5c, 6, and 6+ uses a CSIM, which activates and authenticates both CDMA and LTE- the same implementation as Verizon, and international CDMA networks. This was formerly known as an RUIM card prior to LTE days. These devices will not function at all without a SIM card, similar to its GSM counterparts. Also these phones gain the ability to switch between Sprint phones simply by moving the SIM card from one device to another. Once the unlock is approved on the 19th, you can also go to Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile with no issues. You still can't take a Verizon phone to Sprint, though further reading proves this is something they're working on. Currently attempting to put a Sprint SIM into a Verizon iPhone produces an invalid SIM message after the phone tries multiple times to activate. Sprint white lists their IMEI/MEID to only allow "Sprint devices."

On another note, you can only take your Sprint iPhone to Verizon if you already have an existing account with them. They will NOT sell you just a SIM card. You CAN however start an account with a cheapie android phone and move the SIM over to your unlocked Sprint device or any other iPhone 6/6+, as they all have the CDMA bands in it, and it will work. The SIM card will tell the phone to "turn on those bands"
The Sprint iPhone 5 still won't authenticate CDMA if there's no SIM in the slot. The SIM basically tells the phone, "Hey go look in your NV partition for CDMA", even though the actual CDMA data resides on the phone's internal memory. If you have a Verizon iPhone 5 that's been whitelisted by Sprint, you need to factory reset the phone before using it with a Sprint SIM as restoring it will allow it to download the CDMA subscriber information necessary for 1x and 3G.

Don.Draper

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013

I can gladly say that with experience, this is not true. After reading this thread:https://slickdeals.net/coupons/photobucket/ I chatted sprint worldwide services and requested an "international sim unlock" for both my 5 and 5s. I tried using my T-mobile sim for both phones, and sure enough, both phones were able to be used on the T-mobile network.

The 5S works perfectly on T-mobile. But, as expected, the 5 only picks up T-mobile's refarmed 4G signal as it does not have the LTE bands required for T-mobile (still WAY better than Sprints LTE in the large city I reside in, though.)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I can gladly say that with experience, this is not true. After reading this thread:https://slickdeals.net/coupons/photobucket/ I chatted sprint worldwide services and requested an "international sim unlock" for both my 5 and 5s. I tried using my T-mobile sim for both phones, and sure enough, both phones were able to be used on the T-mobile network.

The 5S works perfectly on T-mobile. But, as expected, the 5 only picks up T-mobile's refarmed 4G signal as it does not have the LTE bands required for T-mobile (still WAY better than Sprints LTE in the large city I reside in, though.)
So, you're saying that an international unlock for the Sprint iPhone 5 and below will allow you to use a domestic SIM from a non-Sprint carrier?

Do I have that right?

Don.Draper

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
So, you're saying that an international unlock for the Sprint iPhone 5 and below will allow you to use a domestic SIM from a non-Sprint carrier?

Do I have that right?

Hmm...I wouldn't say below the 5 as I have not tried it myself (the OP in that slickdeals thread is claiming to have a sprint iphone 4S working with other domestic SIMS, I cannot confirm this myself.) But after requesting an unlock for international use, my sprint iphone 5 is working with my domestic T-mobile SIM. This is in addition to my 5S fully working with my domestic T-mobile SIM.

I have to admit I was pretty skeptical reading that slickdeals thread, but after trying it myself, I can confirm on my end that the Sprint iphone 5 can be used with T-mobile. :)

Edit: I should clarify the theory is that Sprint worldwide has already defaulted to the domestic/international unlock method that will begin on the 19th, hence why the 5S is working with a domestic SIM. I've had my phone unlocked in the past for international use and domestic SIMS did not work before.

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Hmm...I wouldn't say below the 5 as I have not tried it myself (the OP in that slickdeals thread is claiming to have a sprint iphone 4S working with other domestic SIMS, I cannot confirm this myself.) But after requesting an unlock for international use, my sprint iphone 5 is working with my domestic T-mobile SIM. This is in addition to my 5S fully working with my domestic T-mobile SIM.

I have to admit I was pretty skeptical reading that slickdeals thread, but after trying it myself, I can confirm on my end that the Sprint iphone 5 can be used with T-mobile. :)

Edit: I should clarify the theory is that Sprint worldwide has already defaulted to the domestic/international unlock method that will begin on the 19th, hence why the 5S is working with a domestic SIM. I've had my phone unlocked in the past for international use and domestic SIMS did not work before.
My internationally unlocked 5 is still rejecting U.S. SIM cards. Sprint put in another request through Apple for it to be unlocked though and I should have an answer in 5-7 days.

barrikade

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
Has anyone tried a Verizon sim inside a Sprint iPhone 6 yet? Would like to know if there's a speed decline or anything like that.

serega

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Seattle
Has anyone tried a Verizon sim inside a Sprint iPhone 6 yet? Would like to know if there's a speed decline or anything like that.

I've got sim free unlocked 6, which is Sprint one a couple of weeks ago, pulled sim from my 5S, all worked great on Verizon, it shows phone properly, see no difference in speed.

Sxmmykal

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
I recently bought a Sprint iPhone 6 model A1586 from someone wanting to use it on straighttalk only to find out that I am unable to do so. I checked on swappa and the esn is clean so I'm wondering if Sprint will dsu the phone on feb 19th and if so, then will I be able to use it on straighttalk?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I recently bought a Sprint iPhone 6 model A1586 from someone wanting to use it on straighttalk only to find out that I am unable to do so. I checked on swappa and the esn is clean so I'm wondering if Sprint will dsu the phone on feb 19th and if so, then will I be able to use it on straighttalk?
Do you have active service with Sprint on this phone?

If you do and you owe nothing on the phone, then yes, it will be an automatic DSU.

If you do not, then you will need to call Sprint after the 19th.

DSUs are only automatically being granted to current Sprint customers with paid off phones that do not owe any money to Sprint.

Sxmmykal

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
Do you have active service with Sprint on this phone?

If you do and you owe nothing on the phone, then yes, it will be an automatic DSU.

If you do not, then you will need to call Sprint after the 19th.

DSUs are only automatically being granted to current Sprint customers with paid off phones that do not owe any money to Sprint.

I don't have a current account with sprint, as I said I purchased the phone from someone who was with sprint. I checked and the esn was good so I'm hoping the phone was paid off. My question is, if the phone is paid off and when I call Sprint on the 19th and they grant the DSU, what networks will I be able to use the phone on. I want to try straight talk, will that work?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't have a current account with sprint, as I said I purchased the phone from someone who was with sprint. I checked and the esn was good so I'm hoping the phone was paid off. My question is, if the phone is paid off and when I call Sprint on the 19th and they grant the DSU, what networks will I be able to use the phone on. I want to try straight talk, will that work?

Any network, including Verizon. Straight Talk if you are using one with a SIM card, which Walmart sells for $59 with one month of service.

Sxmmykal

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
Any network, including Verizon. Straight Talk if you are using one with a SIM card, which Walmart sells for $59 with one month of service.

I bought the straight talk activation packet a few nights ago but they said the phone was not compatible. Im hoping once the DSU is granted, it will then be compatible.

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
My Sprint iPhone 5 is working on Verizon after being DSUed from Sprint, can you update the first post to include this?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
My Sprint iPhone 5 is working on Verizon after being DSUed from Sprint, can you update the first post to include this?
Can you give me the details on how you did it? That way I can put that in there to support the point.

Sxmmykal

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
So I talked to Sprint customer and Apple will be releasing an update making the phones unlock able, anyone know the time or details?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So I talked to Sprint customer and Apple will be releasing an update making the phones unlock able, anyone know the time or details?
It's right there in Post #1 at the very very top.

It's also right there in Post #318.

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Can you give me the details on how you did it? That way I can put that in there to support the point.

The phone is 2 years old, so it's been clear of any contractual obligations.
I called Sprint and asked if they would unlock it for international use and 4 days later its working with a Verizon SIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.