Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ishun

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
---repost---

Again, I read it. I'm not sure what you thought a line break would do to make it any less muddled, but thanks for the condescension.

The two "statements" contain overlap and aren't very clear. In the top you talk about the 4s having two unlock policies. But in the bottom you also allude to the rest of the phones -- including the 4s -- having two unlock policies. So where's the differentiation between the two "statements"?

Which is why I asked -- "Are you saying that the policies for the 4s are such, regardless of whether the device is active? But the 5 and above are only affected if they're active?" That seems to be the only possible difference between the upper and lower half of your post.

So, boiled down the question is -- Can an inactive 4s be given the "2008 - US Sprint Multi-Mode" policy?

acadiel

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
So, boiled down the question is -- Can an inactive 4s be given the "2008 - US Sprint Multi-Mode" policy?

Mine was. It was given that policy after going into international chat, providing the MEID, my contact info, etc, and waiting 5-7 business days.

ishun

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
Mine was. It was given that policy after going into international chat, providing the MEID, my contact info, etc, and waiting 5-7 business days.

So your 4s was inactive and they unlocked it for international-use only?? Were you still a Sprint customer?? I wonder what causes them to choose which to assign -- what's it based on??

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Again, I read it. I'm not sure what you thought a line break would do to make it any less muddled, but thanks for the condescension.

The two "statements" contain overlap and aren't very clear. In the top you talk about the 4s having two unlock policies. But in the bottom you also allude to the rest of the phones -- including the 4s -- having two unlock policies. So where's the differentiation between the two "statements"?

Which is why I asked -- "Are you saying that the policies for the 4s are such, regardless of whether the device is active? But the 5 and above are only affected if they're active?" That seems to be the only possible difference between the upper and lower half of your post.

You'll have to call and find out. It's Sprint so you have a 50/50 shot.

acadiel

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
So your 4s was inactive and they unlocked it for international-use only?? Were you still a Sprint customer?? I wonder what causes them to choose which to assign -- what's it based on??

It was not active on Sprint at the time. I did an international chat like mentioned above, and asked for an international unlock. The phone was on my account in the past.

some1uDNTknow

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
United States
All Verizon iPhone 4s as of yesterday are factory unlocked for both domestic and international use, there is no longer a need to call Verizon to get it unlocked and you can now use domestic SIMs in Verizon 4s.

----------

Insert your non-Sprint SIM card, if a iCloud lock screen pops up enter your credentials and the unlock will complete.

It didn't work, inserted an ATT sim after Sprint unlocked the phone, but it wouldn't activate. Seems like it's international only, unless I need to restore via iTunes.

Thanks

acadiel

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
You have to restore it.

Yep. I tried rebooting mine, resetting network settings, and even restoring from a backup, but I wound up having to completely stick the sucker in DFU mode and restore it from scratch and then restore the backup. That's the only way I could get it to unlock.

YMMV, but that's what I had to do. 8.2 wasn't any issue with it, either; just patched it yesterday. :) I just don't see the MVNO's name in the upper left hand corner for some reason (I see T-Mobile instead).

JakeK

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
I have found a lot of confusing info regarding unlocking a sprint iPhone 6+. Sprint refuses to unlock said iphone (I do not know the reasoning behind it this since the phone was given as a gift).

Is it currently possible to unlock the phone through an imei unlock service or are sites claiming to be able to do this scams?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have found a lot of confusing info regarding unlocking a sprint iPhone 6+. Sprint refuses to unlock said iphone (I do not know the reasoning behind it this since the phone was given as a gift).
Has the person who gave you the phone as a gift finished paying off the device? Are they in a contract at all if your phone is on their account?

If whomever gifted the phone to you has either not fully paid for the device or has any other phone on contract or unpaid while your phone is on their account, Sprint will not unlock the phone.

Is it currently possible to unlock the phone through an imei unlock service or are sites claiming to be able to do this scams?
Every last one is a scam or what they really mean is an INTERNATIONAL unlock.

No third party has ever been able to unlock Sprint phones.

JakeK

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Has the person who gave you the phone as a gift finished paying off the device? Are they in a contract at all if your phone is on their account?

If whomever gifted the phone to you has either not fully paid for the device or has any other phone on contract or unpaid while your phone is on their account, Sprint will not unlock the phone.

Every last one is a scam or what they really mean is an INTERNATIONAL unlock.

No third party has ever been able to unlock Sprint phones.

Thank you. Phone is intended for international use only...

Just trying to find the best int imei unlock service.

Babiegurl38

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
I had no issue having my daughter's iPhone 5c unlocked while it was still active (shortly before porting over to T-Mobile with my sim free iPhone 6+). I simply called requesting an unlock, I was transferred to I guess the international department, requested both domestic and international unlocks (to cover all bases), he made sure I didnt have an owed balance, then unlocked it. Took about 6 minutes tops. Goodbye Sprint! ✌️

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Thank you. Phone is intended for international use only...

Just trying to find the best int imei unlock service.

No, it's not.

It works domestically, this has already been proven thousands of times. Please stop spreading false information.

Sprint themselves are the only ones that can reliably unlock iPhones, I wouldn't trust a 3rd party service.

slpnglionhrt

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I was able to unlock my inactive sprint iPhone 5 for domestic use. I put in my T-Mobile sim and it accepted it. Thank you everyone for all the info and tips! :D

slpnglionhrt

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
hi slpnglionhrt! how did you do that?

I followed HarrisonTaylor's tip and asked Sprint through chat to unlock my iPhone 5 to use with another carrier. I took a chance and only asked for an unlock, did not specify domestic or international. Couple days later sprint sent me the same email that HarrisonTaylor received a few post back and waited 4 hours + (I got the email while I was at work) before inserting my T-mobile sim.

Prior to this I called Sprint and asked them to unlock my iPhone 5 and they gave me the MSL#. I googled around what I was supposed to do with it and read that I was suppose to factory reset the phone then input the code. That didn't work then I found this forum and gave me tips and now I have an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5. So my phone had been factory reset when the unlock was requested and inserted my T-mobile sim after I got the email.

some1uDNTknow

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
United States
I had no issue having my daughter's iPhone 5c unlocked while it was still active (shortly before porting over to T-Mobile with my sim free iPhone 6+). I simply called requesting an unlock, I was transferred to I guess the international department, requested both domestic and international unlocks (to cover all bases), he made sure I didnt have an owed balance, then unlocked it. Took about 6 minutes tops. Goodbye Sprint! ✌️

I did the same thing, and I only got an international unlock. I directectly contacted their international department through the chat on their site.

----------

I followed HarrisonTaylor's tip and asked Sprint through chat to unlock my iPhone 5 to use with another carrier. I took a chance and only asked for an unlock, did not specify domestic or international. Couple days later sprint sent me the same email that HarrisonTaylor received a few post back and waited 4 hours + (I got the email while I was at work) before inserting my T-mobile sim.

Prior to this I called Sprint and asked them to unlock my iPhone 5 and they gave me the MSL#. I googled around what I was supposed to do with it and read that I was suppose to factory reset the phone then input the code. That didn't work then I found this forum and gave me tips and now I have an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5. So my phone had been factory reset when the unlock was requested and inserted my T-mobile sim after I got the email.

I got that same email, no domestic unlock though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I did the same thing, and I only got an international unlock. I directectly contacted their international department through the chat on their site.

----------

Do you have any other phones on your account that you owe money on or that are still in contract?

That seems to be a factor here.

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012

----------

Is the phone attached to an account? Did you restore via iTunes?
Sprint has separate policies for international and domestic unlocks. Sprint unlocked my 6 Plus recently and I still cannot use it with domestic carriers.

some1uDNTknow

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
United States
Do you have any other phones on your account that you owe money on or that are still in contract?

That seems to be a factor here.

No, I do not have any other phones on my account or owe any money.
It's just my iPhone 6. Thanks for the tips.

Is the phone attached to an account? Did you restore via iTunes?
Sprint has separate policies for international and domestic unlocks. Sprint unlocked my 6 Plus recently and I still cannot use it with domestic carriers.

The phone is attached to an account of course. I have not restored via iTunes though (can't lose my jailbreak). Are you trying to imply that we need to explicitly ask for a domestic unlock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.